PDA

View Full Version : encoding and tagging simultaneously

Dicky
11-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Gday,

I would like to run the Lame encoder and Tag from Filename plugins as one automated action.

It can be done (slowly) using PowerPack's 'After Each Conversion Run...' command, but this is effectively the same as running dMC twice.
I still have to select the file(s) (only this time from a popup Explorer window generated by dMC), then select and confirm the Tag from Filename plugin manually.

I would like to do the lot with only two clicks - rightclick > Convert To.

I've tried:

moving [Tag from Filename].dll, and running it as a DSP Effect -
this just crashes dMC, citing 'lack of disk space?'... (I have plenty),

running the plugin as a command line switch from Powerpack -
After Each Conversion Run: "path\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe /path\dBpowerAMP\Compression\[Tag from Filename].dll"
which has no effect,

running the Add Tag Element DSP Effect, but this seems to interpret entered values as a simple text string, rather than code -
Entering "[artist]" or "[title]" (as per the plugin's syntax) changes the respective ID Tag fields of all converted files to
Artist: [artist]
Title: [title]
regardless of file name.
This should be be the easiest way to do it, but I've tried a few different commands, and nothing seems to achieve the same outcome as the plugin.
I've checked the help files too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Wayne
11-07-2005, 05:10 AM
I do not think that it is possible to do what you want to do. What format files are you converting to mp3? wav?

Wayne

LtData
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Change the "After Each Conversion Run:" to your path to dMC, where you would point it to the output files and run it like that. Another option might be the Multi-Encoder Utility?

gameplaya15143
11-08-2005, 03:41 PM
read the instructions for generic cli again
its

[IDTrack]
[IDTitle]
etc.

they are case sensitive and you should put them in " (quotes).. otherwise lame will complain if there are spaces in a title or something also include the option
--ignore-tag-errors (check to make sure this is spelled correctly)
just to be safe ;)

Wayne
11-09-2005, 07:06 AM
I assume Dicky is trying to convert wav format files without tags to mp3 with tag information in a single step. As each wav file is converted to an mp3 he wants the 'tag from filename' codec to build the tag information. This can only be done either on 2 phases (phase 1 to create mp3s followed by phase 2 to create tags) or by using the "After Each Conversion Run" facility.

I'm not sure that the generic CLI codec will help with this.

Wayne

Dicky
11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Wayne,
I'm working primarily with existing mp3s - most have been ripped at 256-320k/s. I am trying to simultaneously cut them down to 128k/s and clean up ID tags, as my MP3 player reads from them.

Change the "After Each Conversion Run:" to your path to dMC, where you would point it to the output files and run it like that

It can be done (slowly) using PowerPack's 'After Each Conversion Run...' command, but this is effectively the same as running dMC twice.
I still have to select the file(s) a second time (only this time from a popup Explorer window generated by dMC), then select and confirm the Tag from Filename plugin manually.

I would like to do the lot with only two clicks - rightclick > Convert To.This is only really saving me a click or two, rather than about 7... and it's still a 2-phase process.

Might give the Multi-Encoder a go though...

can someone build some more complex code into the Add Tag Element DSP Effect? Pretty please? :)

edit: I hadn't looked into the CLI codec. Might as well give it a go...

gameplaya15143
11-10-2005, 04:43 PM
hmm... now that i have a better idea of what you are doing.... uncheck preserve id tags (this could be the whole problem)... then use the get tags from name thing (i have never used it so i can only make guesses)... good luck

LtData
11-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Why can't you use the existing tags? Are there none?

gameplaya15143
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Why can't you use the existing tags? Are there none?
i think the problem is that the tags are wrong.. or just plain bad.. and the filenames are good.... at least thats how i interpret whats going on here

ChristinaS
11-12-2005, 12:12 AM
If the file names are good, the use tag from filename.

Wayne
11-12-2005, 06:31 AM
That's what Dicky's trying to use but he wants to run it as the same time as he transcodes the mp3s to a different bitrate for his mp3 player.

ChristinaS
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I think would take much longer in the end, as the system would have to switch back and forth between programs.

Easier and faster to convert one batch fully and then retag that batch after the conversion. Just my opinion anyway.

Dicky
05-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I think it would take much longer in the end, as the system would have to switch back and forth between programs.

Yeah, that's probably right actually. I'll just continue with the 2 phase process.

excuse the minor gravedig - it's been a while since I've thought about this problem... or bought any new CDs, for that matter.
(Garage sales are great for weird old stuff.)

Cheers for the help.