PDA

View Full Version : Batch ripping CDs - CD Tray interaction only with no mouse clicks.

remarc1
11-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Although dbPowerAmp is a fully featured and impressive ripper, it still fails to meet the real life situations of today's music lover.

After searching and reviewing the forum for batch and automated methods, I find that there exists no method to rip my entire CD collection by putting a CD into the tray, CD being ripped and ejecting the CD to accept the next CD to rip. During my readings, I've noted several problems that dbPowerAmp fails to allow the user to configure:

1. dbPowerAmp requires the user to use the mouse to click the "Rip" button. For CD batch rip processing to be effective, the user MUST be able to tell dbPowerAmp to "auto start" a rip with the current settings when a CD is detected.

2. dbPowerAmp requires user input when more than one FreeDB entries exist. The user must also be able to tell dbPowerAmp to use the first entry returned no matter what. This will allow the rip process to continue.

Other thoughts:

For an efficient music lover to be able to rip their entire collection, dbPowerAmp must be able to operate with zero interaction. The rip process can use the current settings while in CD batch rip mode that requires the user to only put the CD in the tray, have it rip while they do something else and then put a new CD in the tray when the user notices the tray open after the rip process is complete.

I have about 500 CDs in my collection. Now that I'm on the market for an iPod, I am hesitant because the available CD rip options don't allow for a real world solution of easily ripping a CD collection. The current process requires screen interaction that would be a P.I.T.A. when dbPowerAmp requires me to click on "Rip" and maybe specify a record from FreeDB.

This seems pretty simple for the dbPowerAmp developers to add the increased functionality to batch rip a CD collection.

Like I said, I've spent about an hour looking at this and other rippers on the Internet and keep coming back to dbPowerAmp due to its features. But dbPowerAmp still lacks the features to meet my real world requirements.

Did I miss something? Can I rip CDs without user interaction? I'm convinced I'm not the only person trying to solve this problem. If I'm FUBAR then please point me in the right direction of using dbPowerAmp to rip my CD collection with no screen or user interface input.

PLEASE HELP!

Put me out of my misery already ...

LtData
11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Click on the PowerPack icon (rocket) in Audio CD Input and you can have dMC auto-rip on disc insert. There is also a checkbox for "Never show freeDB messages" that looks like it will fix the second problem.

remarc1
11-02-2005, 09:24 AM
LtData, thanks for the reply,

I do see the options under the power pack window. I do have "Auto rip on disk insert" enabled and also " Never show freedb messages." enabled. Still, dbPowerAmp just sits there with the song list after I insert a CD. I still have to click the top "Rip" button to begin the process.

Any other ideas?

LtData
11-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Odd, it should just auto-rip the CD. However, I have never used this feature nor tried it, so it may not work as I think it does. You might have to set AutoPlay to open the CD with dMC, though.

remarc1
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
LtData,

I do have auto play set to open with dMC "Copy Music from CD using dMC Audio CD Input". It works fine when I insert a CD and it launches dMC. That's when I see a song listing but still I need to click the "Rip" button.

I am using a Sony DRX-500UL external DVD burner via USB 2.0. dMC rips fine from this drive and all seems to work when I manually clicking "Rip". When I troubleshoot why it doesn't Rip automatically, my troubleshooting always takes me back to dMC that might be the possible culprit.

It seems that dMC should rip CDs automatically with the correct settings as described but I haven't seen it do this yet.

remarc1
11-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Update:

After RTFM, I learned "Auto Rip On Disk Insert can be used to speed up ripping lots and lots of discs, Ripping will commence (after freedb has been contacted) using the last used Compression type and options."

So when I insert a disc that freedb was queried for before, it appears that the information is cached inside dMC and freedb is not contacted. Only when I explicity click "Retrieve freedb" and you see the status message on the bottom complete the retrieval does dMC begin the rip process.

So, if you insert a CD that dMC has the listing cached, dMC won't commence the rip process.

The auto commence rip should start after the listing is displayed (either from cache or freedb).

I view this as a bug and should be corrected.

Spoon
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
CD Input is not really geared for this behaviour, there will be a new program which sits above CD input which will allow this, ripping from multiple drives, batch ripping, using auto cd loaders, etc. It is in development and will be completed for dMC R12.

remarc1
11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Spoon, that's great news. When should I anticipate the release of R12?

LtData
11-03-2005, 11:01 AM
I think dMC r12 is about.. 4-6 months off, if I remember what Spoon said correctly.