PDA

View Full Version : convert large music library

lotsomusic
10-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a music library recorded at mp3 320kbps cbr. I want to create a second library at a lower bit rate for use with my laptop & ipod. It seems aac @ 120 is better than mp3 @ 120; however, quality is lost when converting between formats. Which would give me better sound when converting from mp3 320 - aac @120 or mp3 @ 120. Also, should I use cbr, abr, or vbr. Thanks.

LtData
10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Music formats, bitrates, and how they compare across formats is a matter of personal taste. The best way to find out what works for you is to convert a sampling of your files to aac@120 VBR, CBR, and ABR and see which delivers the best sound to size ratio. See here for more information about formats, and how VBR, CBR, and ABR differ: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-formats.htm

lotsomusic
10-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Currently, I can only listen to the converted files through headphones & I really couldn't tell much difference. Any more specific recommendations?

lotsomusic
10-25-2005, 03:18 AM
Again, any suggestions? Which would give me better sound when converting from mp3 320 - aac @120 or mp3 @ 120. Thanks.

Wayne
10-25-2005, 05:15 AM
I do not think that it matters as whatever you do you are transcoding. If you can not tell the difference between the two formats and I would go with the format/bitrate that gives smaller files.

Wayne

xoas
10-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Currently, I can only listen to the converted files through headphones & I really couldn't tell much difference.
I would recommend going with any difference you can determine. You would do well to compare your aac at 120 kbs, mp3 at 120 kbs with your source mp3 at 320 kbs (perhaps you have already done so). As for external evidence, I believe there is support both for using aac rather than mp3 and for using mp3 rather than aac (strictly based upon how they sound) at 120 kbs. If you think you will be using these files again outside of your laptop and iPod, mp3 does have the advantage of being much more widely supported than aac.
I'm pretty the iPod supports vbr (I have an older/cheaper portable player that plays mp3 disks that can have difficulty with vbr-so there I would definitely recommend cbr; likewise I stick with cbr for my car mp3 player even though it may handle vbr better than the portable-I use the same discs on both players). Again, if you anticipate needing to convert your files to cbr for some future use, you will less likely run into trouble with cbr and you really don't want to have to reconvert.

Hope these considerations help you.

Best wishes,
Bill