PDA

View Full Version : Low Volume of OGG file

tugboat
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Am using OGG Q7, rip my CDs to OGG
But the audio level is extremely low compare to my other mp3 files.
Is there any way to adjust it?

Am using Iaudio5 with MX500

Cheers,
Toby

Cartoon
10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
You might want to check out VorbisGain, look for it here:
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html

How did you rip your MP3 files? Did you do any normalization or gain correction on them? Also note that many MP3 files on the net are in general mixed too loud, so it might in fact be that your Ogg Vorbis files are the correct ones :)

tugboat
10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
You might want to check out VorbisGain, look for it here:
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html

How did you rip your MP3 files? Did you do any normalization or gain correction on them? Also note that many MP3 files on the net are in general mixed too loud, so it might in fact be that your Ogg Vorbis files are the correct ones :)

Thanks man! I was using CDex to rip them.
how do u use this software?

neilthecellist
10-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Ogg Vorbis always have low volume when you go for lower bitrates...Unreal Tournament style...So yeah, like the second poster, I'd recommend OggGain.

xoas
10-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I would recommend trying to isolate the source of this discrepancy.
Take a few sample tracks and rip to both mp3 and Ogg vorbis at similar bitrates (try Q7 for ogg vorbis and alt-preset extreme for mp3). Use the same program (CDex does both, which I assume is what you are using) for both.
Use the same volume normalization settings for both sets of rips. Now compare these tracks one pair at a time. I suspect you will find the volumes to be similar.
Assuming they do have similar volumes, then try adding them to your portable player. Compare them again in matched pairs. Do they still sound the same or do they sound different? If they do sound the same then your initial impression might be based on misleading comparisons (the mp3 files might have been ripped with higher volume normalization settings or maybe you just naturally ripped to ogg vorbis some tracks that are quieter). If the Ogg vorbis files are more quiet compared to matched mp3 tracks, then it may reflect some difference between the CDex Ogg vorbis encoder and the portable's ogg vorbis decoder.
While Neil's assertion about ogg vorbis at low bitrates having lower volume may be correct, I don't see where it applies here since Ogg Vorbis Q7 is around 220-240 kbs.
I tend to stay away from low bitrates but I have not noted any significant difference between volume levels of ogg vorbis files compared to mp3 files with dB Music Converter (and experimenting this evening with CDex I don't see the difference either).

Best wishes,
Bill

neilthecellist
10-13-2005, 05:01 PM
OH! I didnt see that. Quality level 7? In that case...you shouldn't be losing that much volume..... That's odd.s

tugboat
10-14-2005, 09:53 AM
i ripped Velvet Underground's White Heat White Light and Stone Roses's debut.
Maybe it is becos of MX500+ iaudio5.
I tried MX450, the sound is much louder!

xoas
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
The MX 450 and MX 500+ are headphones?
Have you tried this with matched tracks (mp3 and Ogg side by side)?