PDA

View Full Version : GetPopupInfo error - Wont Work

Baldrick
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi, have been using dMC for some time, and now suddenly keep getting an error message:

C ++ Runtime error!
Program:C\Program Files\Illustrate\dbPowerAMP\GetPopupInfo.exe
abnormal program termination
OK

What does this mean...apart from I can't use it.

How do I fix it?

Thanks

ChristinaS
10-10-2005, 01:07 AM
Does it crash when you hover over any kind of file? Or only audio files?

Any particular types of audio files?

Could those be Real audio files (.ra or .rm)?

Did you just install the DirectShow codec?

Baldrick
10-11-2005, 04:10 AM
Crashes when I use the right click mode...goes through about 50% conversion, and then up comes that dreaded little message.

Don't use RMA - have had this come up when re-coding ripped CD - but oddly only a few songs can't play without re-coding using dMC through Windows Media Player (Version 10)

Cheers

Baldrick

ChristinaS
10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Well, what filetypes are they that cause the crash?

Am I to understand that they were files ripped by using Windows Media Player 10 from cd's? If so they are likely windows media files. Are they encrypted (WMP may have "copyright protection" that as a default for ripping cd's, and you should change it).

If the files are protected wma files dMC cannot convert them.

Do you have Directshow codecs and filters installed? Either from dMC Codec central or other sources? Real Alternative (Media PLayer classic)?

Have you performed all updates to WIndows & WMP ?

Baldrick
10-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Hi again

Sorry, I'll start again. I have previously been using Acoustica MP3 Burner for ripping CD's to MP3 format.

Some of the tracks for some reason don't play on Windows Media Player (Version 10 with latest updates)

This is when I have used the wonderful right-click convert option of dbPowerAmp Music Converter to re-convert to MP3 - after which time they have worked properly on WMP. an example is 3 tracks of a Simple Minds CD didn't convert when ripped - but worked fine after re-converting them using dmc.

Now, after activating the right click option to convert - at approximately the half-way mark - the error message comes up.

This only occurs when converting music files - I don't have video files etc.

I am not that au fau with all the technology and don't know what the "Directshow codecs and filters installed" is/are.

Could the problem be the older version of dMc that I am running - as it is now telling me that the trial period is over? (well I guess after 21/2 years it would be)

I would hate to buy the latest version and have the same problem happen and end up with a lemon program that doesn't run (like a few others that I currently have and wont work properly/at all!!)

Thanks for your help

Baldrick
New Zealand

ChristinaS
10-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Well, from versin 11 and later the mp3 encoder needs a license after the trial period is over.

But since your version is older than that this wouldn't be your problem.

The DirectShow codec and filters are for decoding real media files and other types encoded that way. Usually they get installed when you also install Real Alternaative which provide a player (Media PLayer Classic) to play all sorts fo file types. Real Media files can then be played in it too, and by extension, they can eb palyed in WIndows media Player - which woudl have also acquired the necessary directshow filters for that.

ANywa, I am asking because I used to have this problem after installing Real ALternative for the filters but not Media Player Classic, while keeping the original Real Player installed. They tend to clash when they cohabit, and hovering over any real media files used to simply crash getpopupinfo. Settling on keeping either just Real Player or just Real Alternantive (actually Media Player Classic) solved that problem for me.

So, to recap, you get this error when trying to convert to mp3 other mp3 files previosuly made by another program?

Or are we talking other types of input files?

Does it happen for all audio files or just some of them?

Make sure you see file extensions, not just the file type description in Windows Explorer. Enable extensions in Tools > Folder Options > View > uncheck Hide extensions from know file types.

xoas
10-23-2005, 09:10 AM
To review:
You ripped some tracks to mp3 using Acoustica MP3 Burner;
Some (many? all?) would not play in WMP 10;
But when you converted (some? all?) of these files to mp3 using dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) these re-converted files would play;
But now when trying the same re-converting process the conversion stalls and crashes with the error message you mention.
Does this crash occur sometimes with these Acoustica files now or all the time?
Do you get this error message for other mp3 conversions with dMC? If so, does this occur sometimes, most of the time or all of the time?

A few potential scenarios occur to me:
It is possible that your Acoustica files are corrupt. The fact the won't play in WMP hints at this. If you do not have this problem converting other files in dMC, that would also point to this. Two other clues to pursue would be: checking to see if you can play the Acoustica files in any other player (WinAmp, MusicMatch, dBpowerAMP Audio Player) to see if they can play these files (if no player will play them, then this is stronger evidence that the files are corrupt); also, you can run a Test Conversion on one or more of these Acoustica files using dMC (the same procedure you would use for your mp3 conversion except that where you choose mp3 you choose "Test Conversion (No Write)" instead, this will not produce an output file but will either do the test conversion very rapidly or it may crash as well, failure to test convert indicates that dMC cannot read the file-for whatever reason).
If these files are corrupt, you are reduced to re-ripping them. Potential sources of corruption could include your ripper itself, your mp3 settings (for the files ripped with Acoustica), your file tags, or your computer system. If the files can be played somewhere somehow without trouble, you could instead consider recording them using dMC Auxilary Input (instructions can be found in the FAQ forum for dMC here:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7318 ). If the problem is with your file tags, you might be able to avoid crashes by unchecking the option in dMC to keep file tags when converting. If the Acoustica files test convert OK, then try converting them to standard wave and then back to mp3 with dMC.

If these crashes are a general problem with any files you try to convert with dMC, this hints that the problem may be with dMC. This would be especialy true if you are unable to test convert non-Acoustica files. In that case you might want to re-install dMC. If you have saved your installation files (the ones you downloaded when you last installed dMC), this should not be a problem. If you did notsave them, then you would need to download the current version. The limitations of this are: you will not be able to encode to mp3 without registering (paying) for the Power Pack (Spoon now has to pay royalties to Thompson for rights to mp3 encoding technology) and if your files or system are themselves corrupt upgrading dMC may well not help with this particular problem. If you have your previous installation files, please uninstall both dMC and your mp3 codec first and restart your computer before reinstalling. If that does not work, follow the instructions in the dMC FAQ for Uninstalling Issues here:http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828.

So try a few of these ideas. If nothing corrects your problem, please provide details as to the questions I raised above regarding whether you can do anything with the Acoustica files, whether this problem also occurs with non-Acoustica files with dMC, details about other burners you've tried and which teasts/measures recommended above that you tried and what the results were.

Good luck and best wishes,
Bill

Baldrick
10-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Thaks Bill

The files have converted to .mp3 format, but some wont play using the WMP only However, they have played on Acoustica, Nero & Vertuosa.

The version of dMC is 8d.

Computer system is Windows XP (Home) P4 1.8GHz Processor - MP3 go to 20GB hard drive (E-drive)

Have located the original cd-rom with the dMC on it and re-installed it - ripped a CD (took a while as not ripping to RAM) but all seemed to go OK.

It was just when converting some files - which I have tried again - but seems to work OK.

Have had another look at dMC (the version I've got) and there doesn't seem to be the option for a test conversion available.

I'll see how things go here now - as it all seems good to go. If it starts playing up again, I'll have to bit the bullet & pay for the registration and upgrade to the latest version.

It is a very good, easy to use converter.

Thanks again

Baldrick

Baldrick
10-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Bill

Sorry - forgot to add - that prior to re-installing - everytime I tried to re-convert files to MP3 it crashed with the error message.

Cheers

Baldrick

ChristinaS
10-24-2005, 01:33 AM
If you convert to standard uncompressed wav (16-bit, 2-channel stero, 44.1KHz) that should also work just as the test conversion would - except of course you are converting. The idea behind the test conversion is to convert to soemthign that does not require a special codec which may introduce extra problems. Standard wav is available on all systems. I think test conversion wasn't available as far back as R8.

Spoon
10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
dMC R8d is very old, the mp3 decoder was re-written for Release 11.5