PDA

View Full Version : Tagging from file name and re-organising files after a conversion (Power Pack ?)

DannyKudos
10-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi

First of all, thanks for a fantastic program !!

We rip CDs for DSPs on behalf of a bunch of record labels for whome we distribute (please dont think of us as part of the "evil empire" :teufel8: !! )

We initiall rip to AIFF (the only file type Itunes Produce will understand). As you can't tag AIFFS, we create file names in nested folders ...artist/album/Number_Track Name
Is there a way, using the File Converter' Power Pack to
2/ Tagging the files from File name
3/ Renaming the files.
after you have converted the Aiffs to another format ?

I currently do 3 seperate routines using arrange files and tag from filename conversions, but if this could be acheived from a single routine it would make my life a little easier.

Thanks !

LtData
10-07-2005, 08:06 AM
There are two separate utility codecs that do what you want
Tag from Filename: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm
Arrange Music: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm

DannyKudos
10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi LT Data
Yep, Ive got (and use) these to do the job. I just wanted to know if there was a way of running these codecs automatically from the powerpack options (maybe as a command line argument ?) after I have done my encoding.

Thanks !"

xoas
10-07-2005, 08:10 AM
OK. If I understand this correctly, you are using dBpowerAMP Muisc Converter ((dMC) to rip from cd to AIFF and then you are converting from AIFF to another format. You are using Arrange Music to re-organize these files converted from AIFF and you are using Tag From File Name to create tags for the new files.

I am wondering why you need either step. It seems to me that you can use dMC Options (and also dMC Audio CD Input Options if file structure is not what you want on your intitial rips) to arrange the files created from AIFF without needing to use Arrange Music. If you are using dMC File Selector (which has a nasty tendancy to nest a file structure within a file structure) I can see where you might see a need for this but I think you can find a way to bypass this. Should you need further help, it might help if you could describe how you are creating the AIFF files and what procedures and settings (for file structure) you are using to create the files converted from AIFF.

Second, you might check to see whether you actually need to use Tag From File Name to tag your files converted from AIFF. I say this because dBpowerAMP Music Converter does seem to create tags for WAV files (which are also tagless) automatically where it can (say when I rip a cd to wav and then convert the wav file to mp3, ogg, or mpc). So check to make sure whether you need that extra step.

While you are dealing with large numbers of files, I would recommend you do some experimenting with single cd's to confirm (as I strongly suspect) that you can do without those extra steps and then start working with multiple cd's in small batches before you go bulk.

Perhaps another user has another idea.
Be glad to hear more about your issue.

Best wishes,
Bill

LtData
10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Well, to do this to nested files/folders, you can use dMC File Selector. As to automatically, you could write a script for dMC where you input the location of the folders. See here for some instructions on scripting: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/developer-scripting-dmc.htm
There is also some scripting help in the Developer section of this forum.

DannyKudos
10-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Bill

OK... just to confuse matters ;)
Im not using DBPoweramp to do the rips....
Because Apple are the only DSP I'm dealing with who use their own proprietary software for content supply, I am ripping to Aiff using Itunes. This makes it easy for me to import the content straignt into Itunes producer to upload to the Music store.

I am then left with untagged AIFF files to convert to other formats. Itunes lets me save the files in clustered folders with track numbers as part of the file name. This give me all the info necessary to use the utility codecs to apply tags (which the other non DRM sites need) to the other compressed formats.

xoas
10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Can you describe more fully the file/folder dtructure iTunes leaves you with?

DannyKudos
10-07-2005, 08:49 AM
/itunes network folder/artist/album/*tracknumber*<space>trackname.aiff

So currently I use DBPoweramp converter to convert these to (for example)

/MP3 Mirror//itunes network folder/artist/album/*tracknumber*<space>trackname.mp3

and from there I use the re-tagging codex to tag the MP3s, and the re-organise codec to create the more standard file naming convention of
Artist - Trackname.mp3

xoas
10-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I'll look into this but it may take me a while.
If another user can see this better, I'm sure they will feel free to post.

Is there a reason you are converting to:
/MP3 Mirror//itunes network folder/artist/album/*tracknumber*<space>trackname.mp3
rather than: artist/album/*tracknumber*<space>trackname.mp3 ?

DannyKudos
10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Is there a reason you are converting to:
rather than: artist/album/*tracknumber*<space>trackname.mp3 ?

Because the dMc file selector wont let me get rid of the "Itunes Network Folder" bit.,

ChristinaS
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Are you using the Keep Path when Convert option?

xoas
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
I regret to inform you I was wrong in thinking that dMC will automatically create a tag for a wav file that you then convert to mp3 (at least not when ripping to the type of folder structure you have to deal with for iTunes).
It may well be possible to still skip one step in your process.
I see two strategies for this. The first involves either reconfiguring File Selector or avoiding its use altogether (to avoid having to deal with the file structure problem requiring the running of Arrange Files utility).
The new strategy I have in mind involves the use of the Multi-Encoder Utility codec from the Beta forum section here:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8314
If iTunes let you rip your tracks into their folder structure in AIFF format using dMC, then actually you could do your mp3 and AIFF conversions at the time of the rip.
But I am supposing that iTunes will not allow that in which case I think it would be simpler (than what you are doing) to use the multi-encoder utility codec to create your mp3 files at the same time you also rip to wav or AIFF that you can then feed to iTunes.
If iTunes requires a direct rip from cd then why not rip twice (once with iTunes to AIFF and once to mp3 with dMC)?

I will do a bit more poking around on the File Slector issue anticipating perfectly reasonable responses to the other alternatives I've mentionned. ;)

Best wishes,
Bill

DannyKudos
10-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the help folks.

I'll have a play with that multi-encoding codec and see if I can streamline things that way.

Cheers !