PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Input Stops Working

CambAngst
09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm trying to record the Wave Out from my sound card. When I click "Record", Auxiliary Input puts up two dialogs, one with the "Convert" and "Cancel Convert" buttons and the other with the "Record" button and the volume meter. I click "Record" in the dialog and start my audio source, but within a couple of seconds the volume meter slowly drops to zero. Clicking "Record" again makes no difference; the time counter keeps going up and nothing happens. Eventually, I have to go to the other dialog and click "Cancel Convert."

Is this a known problem? I didn't find anything like it in the forums. I'm running XP Pro and trying to record from a SoundMAX card.

LtData
09-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Did you try following the instructions below?
Also, try clicking the "Test Recording Level" to make sure Aux Input is working correctly and everything is set correctly.

CambAngst
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I followed those instructions to a T.

Every time, the level drops to zero and the "record" button on the little dialog box with no header bar stops responding. You can click it as many times as you like and Auxiliary Input doesn't attempt to stop recording. The counter keeps counting up.

Spoon
09-06-2005, 03:34 PM
What are you recording to?

CambAngst
09-06-2005, 04:48 PM
What are you recording to?

WAV file.

CambAngst
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Some more info:

I tried setting the Smart Track Length to 3 minutes, 50 seconds, which is 5 seconds longer than what I'm trying to record. No dice. The "Action: Recording" dialog just keeps right on going after that time is up and no amount of clicking on the "Record" button makes it stop. Eventually, you have to give up and click "Cancel" on the Converter dialog box, which is the only thing that stops it.

Also, after about 5 seconds of recording, the level meter on the "Action: Recording" dialog falls to zero. This happens even though I can still hear the audio through my headphones.

The app I am trying to record from is Yahoo Music Engine.

ChristinaS
09-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Forget about Smart track length, and about Auto Start and Auto Stop.

Don't use those until you understand them.

Use a completely manual starting and stopping of the recording process and you should have better luck there.

Make sure you selected the input source correctly. This means you select it amont Recording volume controls, not Playback volume controls.

Depending on your sound card this may be called Stereo Mix or What U Hear or some other such name.

CambAngst
09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Forget about Smart track length, and about Auto Start and Auto Stop.

Don't use those until you understand them.
That's what I was doing in the first place and that didn't work either.

Use a completely manual starting and stopping of the recording process and you should have better luck there.
Like I said, I've tried stopping the recording process manually, using the "Record" button. It doesn't work. The timer just keeps counting up, ad infinitum, until I go to the other dialog and press "Cancel." Honestly. I'm not making this up...

Make sure you selected the input source correctly. This means you select it amont Recording volume controls, not Playback volume controls.

Depending on your sound card this may be called Stereo Mix or What U Hear or some other such name.
On my sound card it's called "Wave Out Mix" and that's what I've selected. Even if I had selected the wrong sound input, I don't see how that would cause the sound level to register for 5 seconds, then fall off to zero. Just as one more point, when I run the Sound Test from Auxiliary Input, it works just fine. The meter fluctuates to the music just as it should.

ChristinaS
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Make sure you are NOT using Auto Start and Auto Stop.

Click the red button just once to start recording and once again at the end to stop it.

CambAngst
09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
I just tried again. I followed your instructions meticulously. The same things happened:

1) The level meter on the record dialog was doing just fine for 5 seconds, then it slid down all the way down to nothing.

2) When I hit the "Record" button for the second time to stop recording, it didn't stop. The dialog box stayed right there and the timer kept counting up. After watching it do this for 30 seconds after hitting the Record button for the second time, I went to the other dialog box and clicked "Cancel."

ChristinaS
09-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Ok, time to find out what versions you have of everyhting - from dMC Configuration.

Is everythign installed to the same folder? c:\Program Files\Illustrate ?

Did you install as administrator? Are you running as adminsitrator?

Also what format are you trying to record to - with full specifications.

See below the 3 windows implicated in a typical recording session. You have to rearrange them on the screen yourself to see all 3 of them.

Until I stopped the recording using the red button, the top converter window says 0% completed, but the timer moves. The timer also moves on the recording window. Once I hit the red button, recording stops and the top window takes a few seconds to finalize the conversion and then closes, the usual way it does for any conversion. That behaviour is actually dictated by extra settings in the Power pack options. So it may or not close at the end of a conversion, depending on how you set it. You get there when using Record (with options) by right clicking the big Record button in dMC Auxiliary Input and then the PowerPack rocket. Actually these settings remain throughout all conversions done through dMC.

Spoon
09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Try updating your Sound card drivers.

CambAngst
09-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Ok, time to find out what versions you have of everyhting - from dMC Configuration.

Is everythign installed to the same folder? c:\Program Files\Illustrate ?
Yes, all of the program files and dll's are in that directory. I simply did a standard install with the installer program I downloaded from your web site.

Did you install as administrator? Are you running as adminsitrator?
Yes. I am an administrative user on my machine.

Also what format are you trying to record to - with full specifications.
I am trying to record to WAV.

See below the 3 windows implicated in a typical recording session. You have to rearrange them on the screen yourself to see all 3 of them.

Until I stopped the recording using the red button, the top converter window says 0% completed, but the timer moves. The timer also moves on the recording window. Once I hit the red button, recording stops and the top window takes a few seconds to finalize the conversion and then closes, the usual way it does for any conversion. That behaviour is actually dictated by extra settings in the Power pack options. So it may or not close at the end of a conversion, depending on how you set it. You get there when using Record (with options) by right clicking the big Record button in dMC Auxiliary Input and then the PowerPack rocket. Actually these settings remain throughout all conversions done through dMC.
Everything seems the same on my setup except that the Record dialog does not close or stop when I click the Record button the second time.

I have a big bunch of screen shots I took, but the ability to upload attachments seems to be limited to super-cool moderators such as yourself. Is there some email address where I can send you about a 1 MB zip file? PM me if you'd like to see them.

Thanks for your help.

ChristinaS
09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Ok, even if the window doesn't seem to close, it doesn't mean that the recording didn't work. Did you check to see if you don't have a file already recorded?

Is it possible you clicked once too many times the red button? It's a toggle. One click it starts recording, another click it stops.

I'll pm you with my email addy.

ChristinaS
09-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I received these screen shots. Based on them I found 3 problems:

from dMC options screen capture: Quality 96Khz instead of 44.1KHz - that's normal PCM wav and that's what is selected elsewhere
in any case
Priority = Above Normal - it should best be Normal or Below Normal
in dMC Configuration Professional frequency not selected- this will help in many instances

CambAngst, you reported success after solving these conflicts in an email to me. Could you please confirm this here?