PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer Rel 1 (registered) question

savagcl
08-29-2005, 04:14 PM
When i use cdwriter to create a music cd (mp3), a small window opens and
shows a stream of data (zeros, ones and lots of spaces) scrolling across this
small window. Is this normal operation? It really slows down the process of
having tracks show in the left pane of the cd writer window.

Also, i still get each track duplicated i.e., writing 10 tracks to the left side of
the writer window works ok but then it will put the same 10 tracks there.
Was this ever resolved?

thanks,
savagcl

xoas
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
When i use cdwriter to create a music cd (mp3), a small window opens and
shows a stream of data (zeros, ones and lots of spaces) scrolling across this
small window. Is this normal operation?
Yes.

It really slows down the process of having tracks show in the left pane of the cd writer window.
It may seem that way but it probably would take just as long without the "eye candy."

Also, i still get each track duplicated i.e., writing 10 tracks to the left side of
Was this ever resolved?
Is this with a standard cd-format cd or with an mp3 (/wma/dBformat of your choice) cd? I know that in the beta testing for r2 of cd-writer we discovered that dCW had some problems with creating folder structures and copying tracks correctly if there were case discrepencies with the spelling of certain tag/filename variables). This was corrected in dCW r2 by the time of its release. I would urge you to upgrade to dCW r2.

Best wishes,
Bill

ChristinaS
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Clif, it's not that display that slows down anyhting. It's purely the transfer and/or conversion process that takes that long. What you see there is just a bit of "entertainment" to pass the time and to reassure you that it's actually working not just frozen. It could have just as well been a regular progress bar.

savagcl
08-31-2005, 11:00 AM
xoas,

I'm using an 80 minute Sony CD-r to create MP3 files (only MP3's).
I am using a registered copy of CD-Writer version 2.

Christina,

Just seems to be longer, at least in my view (maybe a bunch of smilies jumping
around would be a better choice). The scrolling spaces had me going for a
while......

BTW, what does the "smart" button do?

Thanks,
clif :smile2:

savagcl
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey, its a 2 for day (replies that is)!!

Re: the Smart button -

If the files you want to put on a CD are already in MP3 format, and you want
to create a MP3 CD, what conversion(s) are neccessary?

HardDisk folder > CdWriter > CD

clif

LtData
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
No conversions should be necessary, just make sure your player can play the mp3 files you put on there. What I mean when I say that is if it can play the bitrate, if they're VBR, the frequency, number of channels, etc.

xoas
08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Was this ever resolved?
I take it you are talking about the intermittent crashes reported by ^shyone, dhyre, and yourself where every so often, after writing a certain number of tracks, dCW would seem to crash at the end of adding a batch of files to the cd and it would seem, immediately prior to the crash to have created duplicate copies of the batch in question (although the duplicates would be gone upon restarting dCW).
Is that the duplicates you are talking about?
If it is, the question I was leading up to, since this is occurring with mp3 cd's, is whether you are using the default file system for your mp3 cd (where all tracks are filed in a single folder and listed by artist-track) or whether you have created a folder hierarchy (say where you organize separate folders for each artist and organize by album , track number, and track). I am asking this in part because of the seeming similarity to the problem reported with earlier beta versions of r2 (which may have also been present in r1). I am also asking because the crashes I am able to recreate do not seem to feature the apparent duplication of tracks as you 3 have reported.

I don't think we have been able to pinpoint the source of the problem although there is some indication that such crashes can possibly be prevented if you can arrange to convert all of the mp3 files at once. Basically, to answwer your question, this issue has not been resolved.

Best wishes,
Bill

savagcl
09-10-2005, 03:54 PM
sorry i'm so late, been outta town.

CDWriter never crashed on me. Soon as i saw the dupes, i stopped and tried
again.

I have all mp3's in a single folder with Title only. I use the same folder every
time i make a cd, clearing it of all files after. I also defrag that partition after
moving the files to the folder.

savagcl