PDA

View Full Version : dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

LeeC
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi - I'm considering converting my CD collection and I've run into a problem in that dMC will hang after converting one or maybe two files at the most; I'm unable to rip an audio CD unless I do it song by song. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling dMC and the results are the same; I've tried using both of my DVD drives and it happens on both; I've tried ripping/encoding vs. ripping/then/encoding and the results are the same; I've cleaned the CDs and the results are the same. dMC stops at the 99% encoding stage - I've not seen it stop at at any other stage. I've got 1GB RAM and 75% of it is free, so I don't believe that it is getting filled. I'm not sure what other steps to take and would appreciate any advise on how to get the program to rip/encode a full CD in one pass. Thanks!

LtData
07-31-2005, 07:13 PM
What OS are you using? Does your computer freeze when doing other computer-intensive things, such as gaming or video editing? Have you tried the latest dMC beta (linked below)?

LeeC
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi - I'm running windows XP; I've not had this happen when I run my video editing software and games run very well. The computer continues to operate and I am able to go back right into dMC once I close the error message box. I've seen that dMC creates an error log and I could copy that if it would help (but it appears to be pretty big). I have not installed the beta version but I will look at it.

LtData
07-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Can you rip the CD to other formats? Mabye try converting it to the "codec" "Test Conversion (no write)" to make sure dMC can decode the CD.
Does it do it with all of your CDs or just a few of them?

LeeC
08-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I think you've hit on something here; I did the test conversion (no write) on a CD and it worked perfectly. I converted the same CD to OGG Vorbis and that also went without a catch. The same CD stopped after 1 song when converting to FLAC. The FLAC conversion problem has happend on every CD I have tried. I also downloaded the beta version but I am not certain that it installed; I clicked on the file and there was a dialog box that opened but it closed so quickly that I could not read what it said. It seems that the issue is specifically tied into the FLAC conversion process. I really appreciate your time and help on this!!

LtData
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Try uninstalling the FLAC codec, downloading a new codec install for it, then installing it again. Does that work?
As for the beta, it sounds like it didn't install. You didn't have dMC running when you tried to install, did you? ;)

Spoon
08-02-2005, 02:21 PM
CD Input >> Options >> and uncheck write ID Tags, it is likely that is crashing it, if it is repeatable please post the exact track details.

LeeC
08-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Success: when I uncheck "write ID Tags" I am able to get the entire audio CD converted to FLAC files in one pass. I tried 5 different CDs one after the other and they all converted perfectly. This solves a major problem but presents me with another, if somewhat less critical, dilemma as I want some basic tag information associated with the FLAC files. I'm setting up the FLAC flies in artist/album directories with the songs numbered and titled but I'm not familiar with how I can assign/edit tag information after the files are created other than by selecting files one at a time.

ChristinaS
08-02-2005, 09:37 PM
You could rip the audio cd first to wav and then use the resulting wav files and convert them to Flac and get the ID tags that way.

LtData
08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Or use the "Tag From Filename" utility codec from Codec Central.
And ChristinaS's method will still not give you tags. Mabye try WMA Lossless or Monkey's Audio as the in-between file between the CD and FLAC?

ChristinaS
08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh, so you mean conversion to flac never results in tags? I thought just conversion to flac starting from dMC Audio input didn't do it properly.
Ok-doki, sorry about that.

Wayne
08-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Spoon's solution to LeeC's problem involved turning off the creation of tags for FLAC. So he would either have to use the tag from filename codec or use an intermediate lossless format that supports tags to perform the initial rip from the CD.

Wayne

LtData
08-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Christina: your solution involved converting the CD to WAV first. This results in no tags whatsoever whenever you then convert to FLAC. :)

Spoon
08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
What were the track names and artist and album of one fo the CDs that was crashing?

LeeC
08-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi - I converted Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" CD to FLAC as a test; the first time I had "write ID tages" enabled and I got the first song converted and then the program stopped during the second song (it appears the problem is when the program goes to write the tag information as it *always* stops at 99%). The second time I unchecked the "write ID tags" and the process went perfectly.

2buzz
08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
On Elvis Costello's "Kojak Variety" only tracks 1 & 4 could be tagged.

On Elvis Costello's "Goodby Cruel World" tracks 5, 9, 10, & 11 could not be tagged.

On Elvis Costello's "Mighty Like a Rose" only tracks 1&4 could be tagged.

On Elvis Constello's "Out of Our Idiot" tracks 2, 3, 5, and 6 could not be tagged.

By the way the problem is not limited to Elvis. I just happened to be at this point in the library when I started using dBpowerAmp.

Sometines, at the end of a disc, the recorder will be terminated by Windows XP. The dBPowerAMP main program is not terminated.

If I have dBpowerAMP set to eject after convert, the disc will be ejected each time the tag fails. (can be after each track)

I'm using freedb for the track and title info and XP SP1 on a VAIO laptop.

Spoon
08-13-2005, 06:15 AM
Hoping to look at this real soon.

2buzz
08-13-2005, 08:37 AM
I revisited "Goodby Cruel World" after exiting and restarting dBpowerAMP. This time ripping stopped at the end of track 04 and the tags were corrupt (as judged by my player -- I did not inspect the actual tags).

Due to a slip of the mouse I deleted the whole "Goodby Cruel World" folder.

I used the opportunity to close dBpowerAMP, restart, and re-rip the CD. This pass track 04 was OK, the tags were good, but the ripper terminated after writing only 33K of track 05.

While examining the folder (XP SP1) lots of information is displayed when I drag the cursor over a track (nice feature!!) Information about the file (original size, compression ratio, version, etc. --- and the tags) There were no tags on track 05.

I closed dBpowerAMP, and attempted ripping ONLY track 05 -- Success!
Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 06 -- Success.
Without closing the program, ripped ONLY tracks 07 & 08 -- Success.
Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 09 -- Success.
Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 10 -- Success.
Without closing the program, ripped tracks 11, 12, & 13 -- Success.

The player (A SONOS system) also agrees that the CD is OK.

2buzz
08-13-2005, 10:14 AM
MusicConverter.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f57eb2" referenced memory at "0x0104c44d". The memory could not be "read".

Ever the tinkerer, I kept dBpowerAMP open from my previous test and attempted to re-rip "Kojak Variety". We crashed out after completing track 04, but track 03 was corrupt. We continued by re-trying 3, and 5-15. Everything seemed to go OK untill the last track finished, then the message above was issued. Unfortunately, the tags for tracks 5-15 were corrupt.

Closed dBpowerAMP, restarted and ripped tracks 5-15.
Track 05 was OK, tags on tracks 6-15 were corrupt and the program crashed after finishing track 15 as above.

Close dBpowerAMP, retry ONLY track 06 -- Success.
Retry track 07 -- Success.
Retry tracks 08-15 -- track 08 is OK, 09 - 15 have corrupt tags and track 10 is the temporary file, not the *.flac file (perhaps I had the file temporarily locked when dBpowerAMP attempted to delete the temp file -- I tend to multi-task and sometimes cause XP some grief)
Close dBpowerAMP, retry tracks 09 -15 --

Family emergency erupts

-- Success

On recap, I missed something -- track 02 is still corrupt.

Any way I must run to clean-up the remains of that emergency. This should give you some data to work with.

bbooska
08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Well i have had problems with flac files for a long time...but i get no error messages...machine simply locks up...also have had problems with ape also.
Have tried reinstalling flac and power amp.

My latest go around i was trying to convert multiple files to mp3,from hardrive.and as someone else stated most appeared to have the problem at 99% mark
I have on ocassion gotten a decompression error from converter with no crash or lock up wich i can live with,but the hard reboots are hard on windoze.

I was able to isolate one particular file which caused a lock up every time i tried converting it....willa ford...I wanna be bad.flac

Would gladly send this file to anyone who would like to try there hand at it :)

fyi i run windowsXP pro sp2 768mb ddr ram....also i keep my music on a 80gb
usb drive

LtData
08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Have you tried the latest dMC beta and FLAC codec, by chance?

bbooska
08-14-2005, 03:58 PM
flac is 5.1 (1.1.1)
dmc is 11.5
and dap is release 3 beta 6

But i have had these problems prior to upgrading dmc and dap

LtData
08-14-2005, 04:59 PM
that FLAC file isn't 24-bit, by chance, is it? If not, and if none of your other current FLAC files are 24-bit created by dMC, try downloading the latest FLAC codec (5.2 based on 1.1.2).

bbooska
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
that FLAC file isn't 24-bit, by chance, is it? If not, and if none of your other current FLAC files are 24-bit created by dMC, try downloading the latest FLAC codec (5.2 based on 1.1.2).

It is 16 bit,according to the tag info,all flac files i have were created by dmc.

So whats the difference 16 or 24...this codec is not backward compatible?

if i update the flac codec i will not be able to play or convert my older flac files?

LtData
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
As mentioned on the FLAC codec page:

Important: If upgrading from R5 of FLAC and you have 24 bit audio encoded FLAC, first convert audio to another lossless format (such as Monkeys Audio ** before installing new FLAC version ** ) then install FLAC update and convert back to FLAC.
And here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7656
Spoon made a mistake on how 24-bit files were encoded and they were basically coming out in a manner not aligning with the standard way and were unreadable by any other player. That's why I asked the 24-bit question.
If your files are all 16-bit, then you'll be fine.

LeeC
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
What is the outlook on some resolution to the question on converting to FLAC with tags generated? The discussion clearly highlighted that there was something amiss but it sort of petered out after that......

xoas
08-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Lee-
As you may be aware, dBpowerAMP has a programming staff of essentially one, Spoon (not to overlook the contributions that Danny has added with QueMaster, the contributions of the variious people who have created skins for the dBpowerAMP Audio Player, and some contributions by other in codecs).

Spoon has indicated in response to the postings reporting this issue with Flac tagging that he considers it a priority.

Best wishes,
Bill

Spoon
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
It is weeks, not months, as said it is a priority.

EliAbbe
08-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I ran into this and reported it a couple of months ago. I was checking back, hoping that there was an update that would fix it. At the time, I think I sent in some very specific information about where the crash in the convertor was happening.

Don't bother to suggest ripping to another formats first. That just delays the inevitable crash until you try to convert to FLAC from the other format. I have dropped FLAC for now, which is a shame, because I have this very nice SONOS digital player that supports FLAC directly. For now, I am ripping everything in Monkeys (for lossless archinving) and then converting to OGG Vorbis (highest rate) for listening. When FLAC is feeling better, I will convert the Monkeys to that and throw away the OGG Vorbis.

I did locate the source code for FLAC on sourceforge.net, and I may try to build it and track down the crash. Any hints from anyone who has compiled it themselves would be appreciated, like which version of the compiler does it use, which of the many project files (.DSP) should I use, and after building it, how does it integrate into dMC. Can I just copy the .DLL files that it creates?

Thanks for the help.

Spoon
08-24-2005, 01:51 PM
It will be dbpoweramp's implementation of it, I have noticed that for Ogg and FLAC dbpoweramp has issues with tags (in the source code it is surrounded by try catches), I have always assumed that the underliing code has issues, but I will test other code which reads and writes flac tags. It is anticipated there is no easy quick fix, but with bugs you can never know, it might even take 1 weeks worth of work.

EliAbbe
08-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for checking into this, Spoon. Let me know if you would like a stack trace of the problem. This will show you exactly what was being called in the FLAC.DLL and where the crash occurred. I have a bit map of the stack trace from Visual Studio that I captured right after the crash. The short version is that FLAC.DLL is calling into the C++ runtime library at address 100015b4. The FLAC.DLL (the one in the COMPRESSION directory) was loaded at 10000000. The crash itself happens down inside NTDLL after FLAC makes that call. It looks like a NULL pointer problem.

Spoon
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

Spoon
08-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Ok I have looked into this and after ripping 40 CDs and converting 1000 existing files to flac not one crashed :( so it is either:

1) It is specific to the id tags contents being written,
2) For some reason my flac decoder is different to yours,
3) It is operating system specific.

If you can get it to reliably crash, try converting that CD to mp3 (small as possible), then convert said mp3 files to flac, does it crash? if it does then I need those mp3 files.

EliAbbe
08-30-2005, 11:04 AM
I qm working on setting up a test case for you. I can reproduce the problem reliably converting from Monkeys to FLAC. I can't do MP3 because (I am sorry to say) I don't have the Power Pack. (Maybe a non-Power Pack configuration is part of the key to the problem???) I converted to a very small Ogg Vorbis file, but for some reason, those files don't show up in the File Selector when I try to convert them back to FLAC. Maybe I don't have the decoder for Ogg Vorbis.

I did capture a .DMP file that can show you a full stack trace, etc, in MS DevStudio.

I don't think the cause is strictly OS related, because I have seen it on XP Home (SP1, I think) and Win 2000.

LtData
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Make sure .ogg is checked in file selectors "converting" menu. And if you don't have the Ogg Vorbis codec installed, just the AoTuv or whatever codecs, you don't have an Ogg decoder.

Spoon
08-30-2005, 02:57 PM
One monkeys audio file that is less than 30 MB is acceptable.

EliAbbe
08-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Spoon - I sent you a ZIP file via email. It contains THREE OGG files. The problem shows up when you convert all three of them at once. Check it out and let us know!

Spoon
08-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks! will check this weekend.

LeeC
09-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Will the program be edited/updated/revised to address the issue of reading audio CD files and converting them to FLAC (with tags intact) in the next 5 days? My trial version is giving notice that it will expire then and, for me, the need is for getting FLAC files.

LtData
09-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Unsure on the date, Spoon is working on it, but do note that you can still convert to FLAC after the trial runs out, you just can't conver to MP3 or use any PowerPack features.

Spoon
09-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Could be around 5 days, the whole dbpoweramp FLAC codec is being rewritten from scratch.