PDA

View Full Version : Random Select by Total Size

kweller
09-02-2002, 02:36 PM
My mStation ownership wasn't a great experience and I finally managed to blow the damn thing up last week (my fault this time, not its). Saturn Computers decided they could only supply whole units not the parts I needed and I was buggered if I was going to throw good money after bad so I junked it and bought an MP3 capable CD player for the car instead. It has an AUX in so I can plug the NJB3 in for long trips but I want to create some MP3 CDs that will reside in the car most of the time and provide short journey listening.

If I said "pretty please" could we have a select track with a total size of xMb (rounded down)...pretty please? Then I can just set that to 650Mb and get dAP to select the tracks for the CDs.

Thanks.

Kevin

Spoon
09-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Collection >> Random Selector and your prayers are answered...

kweller
09-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Not quite. It gives me the option of selecting tracks to a combined length of minutes and a calculator. The majority of my tracks are VBR and the calculator works best with CBR.

What I'd like to be able to select is tracks to a combined size of, say, 650Mb.

Kevin

Spoon
09-03-2002, 02:40 AM
Sort of keep the files as they are?

Unregistered
09-03-2002, 07:12 AM
Do you mean in terms of bitrate and size? If so, yes.

All I really want dAP to do is select the files from MMC as it always seem to make a much better job of creating a good selection of music than I do!

I haven't yet worlked out how I'm going to get them on to the CD but I suspect Sveta will play a part in that somwhere.

Kevin

Spoon
09-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Noted.

kweller
09-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, while I still think this would be useful I'm pretty certain that the MP3 player in the car can't cope with VBR. It's not stated anywhere but VBR MP3s seem to have long periods of silence and CBRs work perfectly so that seems conclusive.

While following plan 'B' I was quite impressed to discover that the Explorer RMB 'Convert To' put there by dMC parsed a playlist and converted the individual files. Now if only I could find a way to get the Playlist back into dAP in such a way that I could add and delete files from it by highlighting the relevant tracks then resaving...

I'm converting these HQ VBR MP3s to CBR to listen to in the car. I've managed to convince myself that a car's environment is such that I won't be able to tell the difference between 192 an 128kbs. Anyone care to comment?

Kevin

Razgo
09-05-2002, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I would use 128 OGG all the way.

but keep in mind too your concentration will primarily be on the road, or should be :D

kweller
09-09-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Razgo
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I would use 128 OGG all the way....

Neither could we. We were in Norfolk for the weekend and at various times had the NJB3 playing through the car stereo and at others an MP3 CD created by converting the HQ VBRs to 128KBS via Sveta and it all sounded pretty much the same to us. Guess that makes us Philistines!

I wish I'd done this in the first place rather than throwing money away on an mStation but I guess one lives and learns.

Neither the car stereo nor the NJB3 support Ogg Vorbis (where on earth does that name come from anyway?!) so that's not an option for us.

Kevin