PDA

View Full Version : How do I encode MP3s at a quality between alt preset standard & alt preset extreme

MamasBoyOtis
07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I have a large library of flac files that I want to convert to MP3 for use on a portable player. Because of the amount of music I have, the size of my player, and some listening tests, I'd like to encode at a file size between what I get with alt preset standard and alt preset extreme. Is there a way to do this using dbPowerAmp music converter?

I'm using the the registered version of release 11.

By the way, thanks for making such a great product. I really like being able to easily mess around with different file formats, and I love being able to edit tags from the right-click menu.

Thanks.

ChristinaS
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Apply your own manual settings. Change the presets to No preset and change the other settings to what you really want.

You'll have to know what those presets actually translate to in order to figure out what you want.

I just used them and they both result in joint-stereo, 44.1KHz, VBR, bitrate at 250kbps and 290kbps repsctively, for my particular file.

That's not a big difference I think, only about 15%. Not sure what benfit you'd have by getting somehting in between.

MamasBoyOtis
07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think the two things I'm most confused about are the "min bit rate" and "max bit rate" choices and the "Quality: Low High" slider in advanced options. I'll experiment tonight.

If you have another second - do you know what the min bit rate and max bit rate settings are for alt preset standard and.or alt preset extreme, just to give me a head start? Also, does the "Quality: Low High" slider determine the file size or does it just change the encoding speed, like the "fast" presets?

Thanks again,
Mamas Boy Otis

xoas
07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
For relative alt preset settings, check out this link here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124

Best wishes,
Bill