PDA

View Full Version : How do FLAC (Vorbis tags) map to WMA tags?

jmorace
07-11-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm trying to convert some flac files to WMA, and I'm curious how the tag mapping works with all the various tagging standards out there.

I have flac files using the suggested vorbis standard (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html). For classical files it suggests putting composer in the "ARTIST" tag and the performers into the "PERFORMER" tag. When I convert to WMA the performer tag gets converted such that I can see it in the dbpoweramp info window, but it's nowhere to be found in windows media player. I then tried tagging the flac files with a tag named "COMPOSER" to see if that would get put into the WMA composer tag. Once again, it showed up in the dbpoweramp info, but not in the windows media player composer column.

Is there a way to specify tag mappings? Or can you suggest how I might tag my flac files so I can get the composer into the WMA files?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Spoon
07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
You cannot specify mappings, sorry.

MamasBoyOtis
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but in my experience Windows Media tags are a nightmare. I had a bunch of lossless WMAs, and whenever I'd convert them into mp3 or aac, the track number would always get messed up.

Also, when using mp3tag to edit lossless or vbr wmas, making a change often deleted the track number. I don't think I ever had any problems with dbpoweramp in terms of editing the tags.

So I switched to FLAC for archiving my CDs, and I think I'm going to convert my FLAC files to MP3. I thought vbr Windows Media would have better audio quality than mp3, but after doing some ABX testing, I can definitely find MP3 settings that sound indistinguishable to me on my listening equipment (pretty humbling actually). You might want to re-think the idea of converting to wmas.

ChristinaS
07-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Check all the ID Tag options in dMC Configuration. You have separate settings for WMA tags.