PDA

View Full Version : dbAMP doesn't see CD in Win2KPro User

alankilgore
04-18-2002, 11:04 AM
I sucessfully installed and used dbpowerAmp and ripped CD's okay logged onto computers using Win2KPro with admistrator priviledges. However, when others log in that have user priveledges, the program does not see the CD. Is the program intentionally crippled so that it requires adminstrator privedges to work? :confused:

I also tried installing it when logged on with power user priveledges and it still does not see the audio CD unless I log into the computer with adminstrator priviledges.

Anyone got suggestions?

Spoon
04-18-2002, 11:59 AM
You might try installing an ASPI layer, it should work through that without Admin logged on.

alankilgore
04-18-2002, 12:47 PM
I downloaded the ASPI files from adaptec and ran aspiinst.exe
but got error. When I ran with debug switch I got this error:

"64 bit system (Whistler) not detected"

then the message"

"build 2195"

This is an ATAPI 40X CDROM drive with Win2KPro reporting driver cdrom.sys version 5.0.2183.1 and driver info says file version 5.00.2165.1

What do you make of this? Why does it work just fine when I log on with administrator priviledges but not when logged on as a power user?

Spoon
04-18-2002, 01:05 PM
For my own program to access the CD drive directly (needed to do a CD Rip) it needs administrator, just something that Win2000/XP imposes.

alankilgore
04-18-2002, 02:38 PM
That works. But it sure would be helpful to include in the FAQ that it only works with Win2K when logged-on with administrator priviledges! It cost me too much time today trying to work arounbd that problem :headbang:

jmcconville
04-25-2002, 02:14 PM
PowerAmp is a great program under NT4.0 but we are updating to win2k and now powerusers can't rip CD's.

I've also tried updating the ASPI drivers but still a PowerUser in Win2K can't rip a CD. I've had this problem with other ripper software from download.com.

Do anyone know a work-around? The computer is in a school setting and making students administrators is NOT an option.

email me solutions at: jmcconville@sd43.bc.ca

Spoon
04-25-2002, 03:19 PM
Try CD Input >> Options >> Advanced

Set CD Communication to 'NT / 2000 Built-in (Limited)'

jmcconville
04-25-2002, 04:45 PM
This suggestion to use NT/2000 limited works great for a PowerUser. Do you know how this change can be made permenant? Everytime I run CD input I will have to go to CD Input >> Options >> Advanced. This is quite a few clicks.

The other option would be for the CD input program to remain open after it ripps the CD. This way they would only have to change the options once for that session. Is there a way to rip and keep the program running?

Thanks for your help so far. I love this software and it is FREE.

:)

James

Spoon
04-25-2002, 05:06 PM
If the program is allowed to write to the registry that value is saved off.