PDA

View Full Version : Problem with File Naming and compilation CD's

Vorpal
07-04-2005, 11:26 PM
My ripping naming convention is (File Naming setting):
[artist] - [album]\[track number xx] [artist] - [track]

The problem I'm having is that if I rip a compilation CD each song will get a seperate folder.

Any way to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

ChristinaS
07-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Change your naming convention to what you'd like it to be.
Always check what it is before ripping, and adapt accordingly.

Vorpal
07-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm talking about only CD's like "Best of Rock 1995" etc.

I see the problem now is dbPowerAMP takes the File Creation setup literally.

Heh.. not to complain. I just like avoiding manual labor whenever possible and it looks like on any compilation CD (in my hand right now: Only Dance 1985-1989) I will have to change the File Naming structure for the rip and then back to my normal "[artist] - [album]\[track number xx] [artist] - [track]"

How about a small logic feature?

(ex)
{checkbox} If different artist names exist on the CD do not create seperate folders.

ChristinaS
07-05-2005, 12:14 AM
I doubt it's "small". Especially since it all relies on the freedb database which is manually maintained by lots of people. Names can be spelled in many ways, from one track to another, and yet it can be the same artist. You alone can be the judge of the accuracy of all that and the decision maker on how you want it stored once it's ripped.

From my own experience up until now, a lot of cd's actuallly lack complete information. I am talking mostly about classical compilations, where a piece may span several tracks. Often only the frist track belonging to a piece will have the full name and description and subsequent tracks have no information. You then have to manually set those in the program interface. Also often the artists and the song title are switched around, which require manual intervention in the naming convention as well. I wouldn't rely on any automatic naming convention in such cases.

Vorpal
07-05-2005, 06:19 AM
lol I feel like I'm talking to a politician. :p You should run for office!

I've ripped about 600 CD's with dMC and not one time have two or more folders been created for the same CD because freedb had differences in the artist name on the individual tracks of that CD. So... yes I think having a small logic option to ignore seperate folder creation for different artists when more than one artist name exists on a CD would be something very easy to add (as a programmer myself... I can see the code... Scan the string for the left most "/" and if "[Artist]" exists before the "/" do not create a seperate folder for each [Artist]. That's about 5 minutes of work tops to incorporate... probably one line stuck at the top of a loop)

eHe, I guess it's easy enough to use the drop down list when putting in a compilation CD. It's just remembering to set it and then reset it every time I put one of those store bought mixes in.