PDA

View Full Version : Use Smart Conversion to internal hard disk?

Henry
07-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I have a large music library consisting of a mixture of Apple Lossless and mp3 files.

I want to copy and convert this library to 320Kbs mp3 files for use with my portable players. I do not want to re-encode the mp3 files just the .m4a files.

Using DMC File selector and selecting "Convert to drive..." and selecting "Keep path when converting". I can use the smart convert option to select "Do not convert any .mp3 files". Unfortunately running convert results in all the files being copied to the selected top level directory rather than retaining the original file tree.

Selecting "Convert to mp3" and running the conversion results in the file tree being created but the "Smart convert" option is not available causing the .mp3 files to be needlessly reconverted further reducing their quality.

Is there someway around this issue? In other words is it possible to have the "Smart convert" option available when converting to mp3? I hope I have explained things OK.

LtData
07-02-2005, 08:14 PM
When using File Selector, click the "Converting" button and uncheck mp3 to not convert your mp3 files.

Henry
07-03-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I tried that but it does not copy the .mp3 files over. It just skips them. I want to have the files copied "as is" whilst converting the .m4a files.

Henry
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Any more suggestions?

GSV3MiaC
07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
If there is enough space, copy the whole directory tree over, and then use
fileconvert of the non-MP3 files with 'delete source after conversion' option, and 'maintain original file paths'.

If there isn't enough space, do it piecewise.