PDA

View Full Version : Split wav into tracks (audio book)

KM2
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm using the dbpowerAMP to convert .aa files into wav to use on my mp3 player. The player hangs up because the files are too big (over 3hrs). How do I break the wav down into 30min (or so) tracks?

ChristinaS
06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
The program Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ may help to split the file. Not sure if it handles .aa files though.

Did you say you are converting to wav first to use on an mp3 player? Why aren't you conevrting to mp3 or other compressed format? Or are you converting to compressed wav already?

neilthecellist
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Audacity won't be able to split the files, sorry. For Audacity to split audio files, the files need to be within the (not sure if this is the right term) Windows specified file limits. It has to be converted to a temporary WAVE file, and if that WAVE file is too big, then Audacity won't be able to even load it up.

ChristinaS
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
3 hours of 2-channel stereo 16-bit PCM wav would be about 1.8GB - not outside the Windows capabilities. These may in fact be mono files, so the space required is half that.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to play the file at all, since playing also requires decompressing it to temporary space first.

If you don't succeed in converting outright nor in splitting the file, then the only other optin is to record it into 30 minute chunks by dMC Auxiliary Input as it is being played through the souncard.

Check however that you are using Below Normal priority of conversion in dMC.

LtData
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Do you have shorter Audible files that dMC converts OK? I'm just wanting to check to make sure it can interpret the Audible files OK.

KM2
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I've converted a much larger audible file into wav (14hrs), so it works a treat. It's just the player that hangs up - and if it ever drops out I have to go right back to the beginning again - very inconvenient. I only save to wav because I'm clueless and it seemed like a good idea at the time ;)

ChristinaS
06-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Oops! :headbang: Didn't read the original post properly. It's the mp3 player that has trouble with big files, not anything on the pc.
So splitting the file by whatever means is the only answer.

LtData
06-15-2005, 10:54 PM
...wow, we ALL misread the post. What quality are you making the mp3? If its just voice, 64kbps should work just fine.