PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a Wave CLI encoder?

SLN
06-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I try to solve this problem:

Recording a wave HQ file from 1 of 2 soundcards.
I have allready a solution to choose the right soundcard (the one not allready in use), if I record an wma-file using the scripting tool in WMA 9, because this tools allows you to tell which soundcard to use for the recording.
Now I want to do the same, but to a HQ Wavefile, that could be used for later transcoding to wma and mp3.

Is it possible for me to make my own HQ Wave CLI encoder where one of the possible commands is to choose the soundcard to be used, or does this encoder allready exist?

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Isn't basic recording done to wave anyway?

But what's HQ?

SLN
06-12-2005, 10:44 AM
HQ, I mean, High Quality. To get the best result when doing the later transcoding to other formats.

All is going to happen in a automated environment. Therefore I want a way to start a waveencoder from the commandpromt, and possibly also control some of the setting for the recording. Mainly the samplerate, and the output filename.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 11:42 AM
HQ, I mean, High Quality. To get the best result when doing the later transcoding to other formats.

All is going to happen in a automated environment. Therefore I want a way to start a waveencoder from the commandpromt, and possibly also control some of the setting for the recording. Mainly the samplerate, and the output filename.
I see.

Well, in that case what you want is to record to uncompressed standard 16-bit 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo PCM wave. That's about as HQ as you will have (CD quality) unless you're thinking of DVD quality stuff which is higher frequency and can be more channels.

Such a wav file occupies 10MB for each minute of audio.

Just so we get the steps clear, why are you talking about encoding to wav? Aren't you in fact recording?

SLN
06-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Yes, I´m recording.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Are you recording live input by microphone or a sequencer or mixing console or from some other device like a turn table or cassette palyer or radio?

SLN
06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I´m recording radio programs from a line feed.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 01:32 PM
So what you want to use is dMC Auxiliary Input and record to wav, unless you have another program that can record more easily.

SLN
06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I just want to find out what to do, if I want to record from the
(1 of 2 soundcards) line in, to an uncompressed format that have the possibility to be transcoded to wma an mp3 in the best possible quality.

And it has to be done in an automated system. Therefore the CLI question.

Hope you understand, my explanation.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 02:11 PM
I do. You can convert to any format you like once you have recorded to uncompressed wav, that's no problem. You can even record directly to wma lossless or any other lossless format, which will eliminate the need to convert further if lossless is what you want, it gives big files though. Or to any compressed lossy format too which you decide in advance, as it keeps from one recording session to another.

How to automate dMC Auxiliary Input to turn it into a CLI I don't know. It has settings to start and stop recording when the volume is over and under some value. Or you can set a recording duration.

You'll probably be wanting to generate the name under which to save the recorded file according to some criteria - some of that can be set in Options by playing with artist, album or comment fields. Not sure if that keeps from one session to another.

I'm thinking of the program SDP which is used to capture streamed media. This has a VCR function, wher eyou set the start and end time and periodicity. This however runs off the web, so it won't be any use to you if you are recordinf from the radio - unless the station also has a webcast.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Before you embark on a long project of scripting dMC Auxiliary Input, you should read this short thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6240

I doubt much has changed since then.

SLN
06-12-2005, 03:48 PM
It´s getting late in Europe, so I´ll be back tomorrow reading your last replies.

SLN
06-13-2005, 03:35 AM
Hello ChristinaS.

Thank you for your help.

:komisch9:

I found Totalrecorder. That applikation can do what i want, and I think I buy some copies of that.

Søren, Copenhagen, Denmark.

p.s. In fact I should have been i Montreal this week, but the meeting is put off to the beginning of august.

ChristinaS
06-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello ChristinaS.

Thank you for your help.

:komisch9:

I found Totalrecorder. That applikation can do what i want, and I think I buy some copies of that.

Søren, Copenhagen, Denmark.

p.s. In fact I should have been i Montreal this week, but the meeting is put off to the beginning of august.

He-he! On August 4th we'll be in Copenhagen ourselves to attend a wedding on that following weekend :D