PDA

View Full Version : Missing "SampleGrabber"

Elbee
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I just installed dbPowerAmp and am trying to convert .ra and .rm files. I installed the codecs that were recommended. I now get the following message when beginning the file convert process: "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\filename.ra' could not be opened.
Unable to insert SampleGrabber." :cry:

Can someone tell me where to find this "SampleGrabber"? :smile2: Thanks!

LtData
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Did you install the DirectShow Codec and follow these instructions:

Real Audio: Download 'Real Alternative' from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1 (or search in Google for Real Alternative) add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder

Elbee
06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I installed Real Alternative 1.39 and updated the DirectShow Decoder with .ra and .rm.

LtData
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Check dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) and see if it shows .ra, .rm, and the other formats.

ChristinaS
06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't forget to reboot.

Elbee
06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
I did reboot. The .ra, .rm, .ram do not show up in the dMC Configuration. They are in the DirectShow Decoder Config, "DSEext.txt". I still get the "Unable to insert SampleGrabber" message. As a test, I inputted into the decoder an MP3 file and that converted fine to a cda.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

LtData
06-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Do you have the DS Codec installed to the same folder as the music converter? Did you put ".ra .rm .ram" on separate lines, as it says? If they don't show up in dMC Configuration, it is not set up properly.

Elbee
06-10-2005, 11:20 PM
In the DMC Configuration, I now see .ra, .rm, .ram, and .rpm listed opposite "DirectShow Decoder" under the "Installed Input Codecs (Read)" section. But I still get the missing SampleGrabber message. All the programs installed in the Program Files folder- Illustrate- dbpowerAMP- and sub-folders under that. The DSExt.txt file is in the DirectShow folder, under Input, under Multiplayer.

It all seems to be there, except the .ra and .rm conversions are not working.

Thanks for the responses.

LtData
06-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Can you play the .ra or .rm files in a media player? How big are these files?

ChristinaS
06-11-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm starting to think you have some other program interfering with things.

For one thing I have no idea what SampleGrabber is. I have no such progam myself anywhere. While thsi may not be too much of a reference in itself, it may be an indication of some software conflict.

LtData
06-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Might have found something:
What version of Windows are you running?
Try this: Start --> Run --> dxdiag
When it asks to check for WHQL certificates, click yes. Click on the "sound" tab and see if there are any yellow alert icons in the right-right column.

ChristinaS
06-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Ok, just found reference to this SampleGrabber in conjunction with DirectX ... I seem to actually have it - though it's not in the form of a separate program or file with that name.....

Elbee
06-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll take the questions in sequence:

-I was able to play .ra and .rm files through Windows Media Player until now. I suspect something in the install, probably of Real Alternative is causing this. The error that I get when I attempt to play one of these now is "The MPLAYERC.EXE file is linked to missing export DDTRAW.DLL:DirectDrawCreateEx." Then I get a separate message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

-The files range in size from 330K to 600K.

-I'm running Windows 98.

-I do not have "dxdiag" on my system.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Elbee
06-11-2005, 01:27 PM
I have an update to the previous message. When I start Windows Media Player and then open one of the .ra or .rm files, they play fine. It's only when I try to open the .ra or .rm file directly through Explorer that the error occurs. So something in the Windows association for .ra and .rm got mucked.

LtData
06-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Hold shift and right-click on your .ra files, go to Open With. There, select "Windows Media Player", check the box saying "Always use this program" or something along those lines and click OK. This file-type should now always open with WMP. Do the same for your .rm files.

Have you tried reinstalling Real Alternative? You don't have Real Player itself installed, do you?

Elbee
06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks, already did that and associated both with "mplayer2", which is Windows Media Player and they work fine. I have not reinstalled Real Alternative. My Real Player was uninstalled during the install of Real Alternative.

If you think that it's worth a shot, I can uninstall and reinstall Real Alternative.

Thanks again.

Spoon
06-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Install DirectX v9

LtData
06-11-2005, 02:49 PM
That was my next guess of what needed to be done. Here's a link for DirectX 9.0c, the latest version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en

Elbee
06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, I may have gone from the frying pan into the fire. I installed DirectX 9.0c using the link that you provided. Current status:

-I no longer get the message about not finding SampleGrabber when I start a conversion. However, I now get the following message:

-"The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\filename.ra' could not be opened. DirectShow filter for '.ra' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt."

- I do have .ra and .rm defined in DirectShow. They also are on the line "DirectShow Decoder" under "Installed Input Codecs (Read)" in the dMC Configuration.

-The files were not corrupt and played before the install of the DirectX 9.0c. But now, Windows Media Player is not working. When I try to play a song with WMP, I get the following message:

"Microsoft NetShow(TM) Player with RealVideo(R) Decoder was not initialized before attempting to use it. (Error=80004005) Cannot open 'C:\Audio\Filename.ra'. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again."

-I also have Real JukeBox installed. This also functioned before the install. Now I get the following message attempting to start Real Jukebox:

"A required .DLL file, PNCRT.DLL, was not found".

Things have gone from bad to worse. Any suggestions at this point? The Microsoft documentation indicated that the DirectX 9.0c install is not reversible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and suggestions.
Elbee

ChristinaS
06-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Did you reboot?

LtData
06-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Uninstall Real Alternative, reboot, reinstall, reboot, configure DirectShow Decoder again.

Elbee
06-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Forgot one other problem after the DirectX 9.0c install. When I use Windows Explorer and right click on the file name, I no longer get the "Open" option. The options now start with "Convert To" which I believe is a result of the dbPowerAmp install. Nothing happens on a double left click on the file name. This is ONLY for .ra and .rm files. All other .XX files act normally.

Elbee

LtData
06-11-2005, 11:58 PM
See if the problem still exists after following what my previous post says.

Elbee
06-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Appreciate all the feedback.

After following your suggestions, all the problems noted in my two previous postings have gone. All appears to be back to normal.

However, when trying to do a convert, I am back to the original problem, that is, I get the message:

"The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\Filename.ra' could not be opened. Unable to insert SampleGrabber."

So I am basically back at square one as far as converting .ra and .rm files. Any other suggestions? Again, I thank you for your assistance.

ChristinaS
06-12-2005, 11:19 AM
How about installing Real Player? The SampleGraber bit somehow is more related to Real Player than Real Alternative from what I've seen.

Also it comes up a lot in relation to video. Is your file a video?

Elbee
06-12-2005, 04:13 PM
They are all audio files. Guess that I can install Real Player. Thanks.

Elbee
06-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Installed Real Player 8. Had to use that version because I'm running Win 98. It may have messed up Real Jukebox, but I can live with that. Unfortunately, the Real Player install had no effect on the converter. Still getting the "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\Filename.ra' could not be opened. Unable to insert SampleGrabber" message.

I'm at a loss. Is there anything else to try?

Thanks.

LtData
06-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Yes, there is an old Real decoder: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBpowerAMP-codec-ra.exe
However, it works in real-time, so your 5 minute songs will take 5 minutes to convert.

Elbee
06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Any other suggestions for this current situation? I seem to be so close.....

A real time converter would be a totally last resort.

Spoon
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
SampleGrabber should be a standard part of DirectX, I am thinking that Microsoft does not support Win98 anymore.

LtData
06-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Elbee,
Try running dxdiag now and see if it shows any errors in the Sound tab. You might need to update your soundcard drivers, though.

Elbee
06-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Ran the dxdiag and there is no error on the soumd tab. Ran DirectSound test and that was clean.

Elbee

Elbee
06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me get around this SampleGrabber problem. It's soooo close! Thanks

FriedEggs
06-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me get around this SampleGrabber problem. It's soooo close! Thanks
I am having exactly the same problem!

Windows XP SP2 on a Thinkpad X30.

I have installed Real Alternative with the DirectShow Splitter. I can play ra and rm files through Windows Media Player. I have also installed the directshow codec, edited the configuration file and rerun the dmc configuration utility.

When I try to convert any realaudio file saved on my computer, I get this message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio Downloads\riot_never_was.ra' could not be opened.
Unable to insert SampleGrabber.

I don't know what Sample Grabber is, but I'm guessing that it relates to a Directshow filter that I don't have on my computer, but that the dmc codec is trying to load when it constructs the filter graph. I think I need to find a binary of the Sample Grabber filter, and install it to my system somehow, but it isn't a standard part of DirectX. MSDN says:

New samples for DirectX 8.1 include:

Audio Capture (Capture/AudioCap)
DMO-enabled Player (Players/PlayDMO)
DMO Enumerator (Misc/DMOEnum)
Filter Mapper (Misc/Mapper)
Sample Grabber Filter (Filters/Grabber) (modified from DX8 version)

and

Modified SampleGrabber Filter Source Code
There have been several requests for Microsoft to publish the source code for the popular SampleGrabber filter. To that end, we now provide a modified (simpler) version of the sample grabber filter, which uses a new GUID and new CLSID to prevent collisions with the original DirectX 8.0 filter. You can review and modify the source code for this filter and use it in your own applications. See the Filters/Grabber directory for more information.

Update: :smile2:

Sample Grabber is part of DirectX 9, which I had installed (as part of SP2). Graphedit showed my that the filter was apparently not present. A little searching on MSDN showed me that the filter is part of windows\system32\qedit.dll.

So I did:
regsvr32 /u windows\system32\qedit.dll
regsvr32 windows\system32\qedit.dll

and hey, it all works now.

Mark

ChristinaS
06-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow! Good job! I think this post should go into the FAQ and this thread become a sticky.

ezil
09-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Hello guys,

I've followed this thread, as I'm trying to solve the same problem on a Windows XP SP2 PC as well.

I've faithfully followed instructions all along, and even tried uninstalling\reinstalling\rebooting when it came to using real alternative.

The real audio files play fine, but I get the same SampleGrabber message here.

I've followed the instructions regarding resitering \ unregistering the .dll file above (and the messages saying it's done it successfully show up) yet I still get the "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\Filename.ra' could not be opened. Unable to insert SampleGrabber" message.

DBC loads the file, the percentage bar goes across, and then it just gives up with that message.

Any more tips?

LtData
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Did you try running the command FriedEggs mentioned above?

FORTYsix&two
06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I've had every single problem listed before on this thread. I'm not so up on the comp. lingo. It seems like the solution FriedEggs provided works, but I don't exactly know how one would do: regsvr32 /u windows\system32\qedit.dll
regsvr32 windows\system32\qedit.dll. It doesn't make any sense to me. Is it something that is part of the registry or directX? I'm so confused. Please HELP!!

LtData
06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Click your start button, click run, and putt hsoe lines in the run box one at a time. Note that you should put C:\windows not just windows.

FORTYsix&two
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
i tried to run those lines but i get either an error message that the file was not found or an error message that says it refers to a location that is unavailable. then it goes on to suggest other places it could be, i.e. hard disk, network, or it might've been moved. I'm able to get a response if i execute windows\system32\qedit.dll, but then i get this "you are attempting to open a file of type 'application extention.' What's my next move?

LtData
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
OK, take the location of qedit.dll (by default C:\windows\system32\qedit.dll) and put it after the "regsvr32 /u" then after the dialog box pops up put it after just "regsvr32". It sounds like your qedit.dll is in a different location or something else is wrong.

Emac
02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I quit using Real Alternative because it would not open some real files.
I have Realplayer Enterprise installed.

It seems absurd that Real Alternative must be installed.
I tried the Directshow codec and config anyway, carefully following all directions.
It does not work, as I expected. DMC does not even see the rm files.

LtData
02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
You need Real Alternative, as it installs a RealMedia DirectShow Splitter. Try the stand-alone splitter. It should work with RealPlayer: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=87719

Emac
06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info, LtData.
I will try it.

philosopherdog
10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Nice post. But you might find when you search for the file in question, qedit.dll, in your system32 folder, the thing isn't there. That's what I found. The solution is that you need to get a copy of the file and put it in the folder in question. Here's a link http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/Q/qedit.dll/6.05.2600.2180/download.html

Download the file and put it into the system32 folder, then run the commands in the post below on the file. Of course all of this is assuming that you've got the directshow decoder correctly installed. I found that the list of extensions is so long in the directshow.txt file that it blocks out the real media files in the list that I see in the dbpoweramp configuration window, but they're there. find the text file in the directory c:\documents and settings\insert your login name here\application data\dbpoweramp\directshow.txt . The way you do it is to install "real alternative". I didn't install the player just the directshow part of it. You can have realplayer installed and the directshow filter from real alternative, but notice if you just have realplayer and not the directshow filter from real alternative installed you will only get real time decoding, which sucks. Notice that you can directly edit the directshow.txt file and put the extensions on a separate line. It's easier to just delete the file and let the system regenerate it, if you don't find the extensions in there you were expecting. One last thing... when you run the commands listed below on the qedit.dll file you have to put c:\ in from of the windows directory, as someone else pointed out! Good luck.

PD

I am having exactly the same problem!

Windows XP SP2 on a Thinkpad X30.

I have installed Real Alternative with the DirectShow Splitter. I can play ra and rm files through Windows Media Player. I have also installed the directshow codec, edited the configuration file and rerun the dmc configuration utility.

When I try to convert any realaudio file saved on my computer, I get this message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio Downloads\riot_never_was.ra' could not be opened.
Unable to insert SampleGrabber.

I don't know what Sample Grabber is, but I'm guessing that it relates to a Directshow filter that I don't have on my computer, but that the dmc codec is trying to load when it constructs the filter graph. I think I need to find a binary of the Sample Grabber filter, and install it to my system somehow, but it isn't a standard part of DirectX. MSDN says:

and

Update: :smile2:

Sample Grabber is part of DirectX 9, which I had installed (as part of SP2). Graphedit showed my that the filter was apparently not present. A little searching on MSDN showed me that the filter is part of windows\system32\qedit.dll.

So I did:

and hey, it all works now.

Mark

warrenz
02-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I inputted into the decoder an MP3 file and that converted fine to a cda.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

KimAnderson
07-03-2010, 06:28 AM
According to me reinstall this converter because as I think that you have not installed it properly.....

GerlaEskel
03-01-2011, 04:36 AM
According to me reinstall this converter because as I think that you have not installed it properly.....

thanks