PDA

View Full Version : Help! I really need to remove this silence!

ingramje
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Help! I really need to remove this silence! I've tried all kinds of settings just to remoe the silence from the begining and end of these tracks, but I just can't get this DSP option to work right. I've tried changing the threshold setting many times, to no avail. Some documenation would be nice!

Does anyone happen to know what settings would work just to remove the silence at the end and beginning of tracks? (wavefiles)? If someone could be so kind to post the setting that work for them, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

LtData
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Try the DSP "Trim" if you know the exact number of seconds.

neilthecellist
06-09-2005, 06:04 PM
If that fails, try Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) for splitting the silence.

btocher
06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Have you tried mpTrim or WavTrim?

http://www.mptrim.com/

--
Baxter

ingramje
06-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Can any of these other programs do it trim the silence based of the actual amount of noise (or lack thereof) and do it with a batch of files?

I hope they're well documented.

Thanks,

Jeff

LtData
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
You can use the "Remove Silence" DSP for automated removal of silence across various tracks. Note, however, that your tracks will be re-encoded for a small quality loss.

neilthecellist
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Small? LtData, I'd have to disagree. I'd say "a considerably noticeable quality difference (in a bad way) "

LtData
06-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I was just quoting Spoon:

The only dbpoweramp cna do it is through decoding, running DSP effect and rencoding which will result in a little audio quality lost.

btocher
06-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Can any of these other programs do it trim the silence based of the actual amount of noise (or lack thereof) and do it with a batch of files?

Yes, mpTrim or WavTrim can, though you may need to register first. Best to try the batch functions on copies of your files to be on the safe side anyway.

--
Baxter

Spoon
06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
>Small? LtData, I'd have to disagree. I'd say "a considerably noticeable quality difference (in a bad way) "

As a test convert a 128Kbps mp3 file to 128 Kbps mp3, I bet the majority of people would not detect a difference between the two when blind testing. With 160Kbps and 192Kbps things are even worse.