PDA

View Full Version : aac option doesn't show although I downloaded the codec

deano_uk
05-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi,

This software looks GREAT. I'm finding my feet. I can easily convert to MP3 and OGG etc but I've been unable to find how to convert to AAC - that option doesn't appear even though I downloaded the codec (as the others).

Have a I missd something obvious?

Regards,
Deano

ChristinaS
05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Look at Codec central, for the .mp4 codecs, and on that page look at the bottom:

AAC Encoder ( ** Writes Only ** )

>> Install Mp4 & AAC Decoder also so tags can be written <<
Description: Psytel AAC Codec (ID Tags are written as Ape v2 Tags)
Download: AAC Codec 432 KB Release 4.1 ( AACEnc (328 KB) encoding option [install over top of Psytel AAC] )

cburke
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Christina,

I am also having trouble with AAC. I'm sorry but your reply was not clear to me. What you say is on the page is no longer there. Here is my problem:

I am just trying to encode AAC. I downloaded first the "dMC-AAC-Codec" and ran the intaller. When I then tried to encode a wave file to AAC I got an error saying that it couldn't open the CODEC.

On a friend's recommendation I downloaded the Nero AAC CODEC and installed. When I try to encode with that one, the "Compression Settings" button doesn't operate (clikc it and nothing happens). If I try to just encode without accessing the settings, it gives me the same error as the other AAC CODEC. I see that it says it requires Nero v5 or 6 but there are no links and googling it returns a mess of confusing info. Do I need to install something else to run Nero in dbPoweramp? This is my first choice for CODEC since I know someone who uses it for the same type of work I am doing.

I have registered dbPoweramp with PowerPack. Can you tell me what I have done wrong? Thanks.

ChristinaS
07-05-2005, 06:23 PM
You mean you installed this?

Description: AAC Encoder (FAAC v1.24.1) and Decoder Codec (ID Tags are written as Ape v2 Tags or ID3v2)
Download: AAC Codec 537 KB Release 5

I just downloaded the same codec (FAAC) and converted a standard uncompressed 16-bit 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo wav file to aac using it.

Are you perhaps not installing it correctly? it has to go to the same folder as all of dBpowerAMP programs.

You also have to use the "locate encoder" button first.

Maybe your wav file has some special feature, what are the specs, the error might refer to that.

OK, I didn't try with Nero's codec, as I don't want to open a can of worms I may not be able to contain.

Now to use any of those codecs you must first download and install the very first codec given there:

Important: Uninstall all previous mp4 codecs before installing Release 3
Description:
Decoding - m4a, mp4 and Apple Lossless Codec (using FAAD2 v2.0, AAC-HE compatible decoding, Apple Lossless 0.1).
Encoding - .m4a (FAAC v1.24.1, Apple Lossless encoding is only supported below through iTunes).
Download m4a, mp4 and Apple Lossless Codec 451 KB Release 3

That's right at the top of the page for mp4 codecs at Codec Central.

cburke
07-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for replying, Christina. I did install the FAAC CODEC. I also installed the others, but as for uninstalling the others before the top one, I see nothing about how to uninstall the CODECs anywhere. Maybe this is a simple thing and I am overlooking something obvious, but I do not see how to do this.

In the meantime, here is what my "compression" folder (inside the dbPoweramp folder) looks like:

(folder) Advanced Audio Coding (CLI)
(folder) LAME
(folder) MP4 (CLI)
(folder) Nero AAC
(folder) Real Audio
(folder) Skin
Advanced Audio Coding (CLI).dll
Aiff.dll
Mp3 (Lame).dll
mp4 (CLI).dll
Nero AAC.dll
Ogg Vorbis.dll
Real Audio.dll
Test Conversion (No Write).dll
Wave.dll
Windows Media Audio V9.1.dll

Does that tell you anything?

Thanks.

LtData
07-06-2005, 12:50 AM
The codecs should be listed in Add/Remove programs. This is where you uninstall them.

Wayne
07-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Does the dMC configuration program show them as being installed?

Wayne