PDA

View Full Version : cannot record hard drive music

cruxshadow
05-19-2005, 08:34 PM
i cant record the music on our hard drive nd went through the walk-through and i still cant :vmad:
im trying to re-record the music from (musicnet) and all the(record options

im trying to record from the soundcard as suggested,so do i use default as the input?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

ChristinaS
05-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Are you trying to use dMC Auxiliary Input?

The input source (given in Volume controls for Recording) will have to be Stereo Mix or What U Hear.

LtData
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes, use Default as the selection for Input. However, as ChristinaS said, you need to select the appropriate recording source on your recording volume controls. This may help some: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=34783

ChristinaS
05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes, use Default as the selection for Input. However, as ChristinaS said, you need to select the appropriate recording source on your recording volume controls. This may help some: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=34783
You would normally set the Record Using value to the sound card appearing in the drop-down box. At least make sure the default is the soundcard itself. There may be other audio devices there which may well be used to provide input. But for recording something being played on the pc from a file stored on the HD, it will have to be the soundcard.

cruxshadow
05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
whoa,you guys lost me already,(you see,i just downloaded this about 10 min b4 posting so im not really familliar w/all this,i saw the support pages,(how to use)by data,but was lost yet again,so can you spoon-feed this to me? :blush:

ChristinaS
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Have you installed dBpowerAMP Music Converter first of all?

One of the programs that comes with this is dMC Auxiliary Input. You use it when you cannot simply convert an audio file because it may be protected, or it is on the web and you cannot download it, or it is a type for which there is no codec (like midi), or you want to extract audio from a dvd or a flash movie or you want to record from a cassette player, etc. Any situation where you cannot use the conversion program to convert a file.

So it this applies to you, just please refer to the FAQ http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7318 and all other threads it points to. Also make use of the help in the program itself (the ? appearing there which you can drag and point at whatever field you are wondering about).

cruxshadow
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
yes i have downloaded the audio plaer,music collection,skin designer,music converter,cd inverter,aux input,and cd writer :cry:

it seems no matter what i do i cant configure the "device"to record from the hard drive

ChristinaS
05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
The device is your own soundcard, nothing else. You are recording from what is being played through your soundcard.

cruxshadow
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
yes i know that,but how do i configure it so it records from that?i configured the input to each kind and did the test recording level and each time the VU meter was just barely colored and then nothing,and i turned up the volume,played tracks from different programs during the soundtest and nothing worked so i dont know what to do,i feel like im falling in an bottomless pit for the past 3 hours

so can you post step by step what to do?,im operating on windows XP

ChristinaS
05-19-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm sure I've done this a dozen time aready....

1) Start Auxiliary Input
2) Click options:

a) Set the output folder where you want it the recorded file to go
b) Set the file creation pattern - e.g. [artist]-[album] - [track xx] (optional)
c) record using: default or find your soundcard in drop down list
d) Input source > Select > Stereo mix (or what u hear)
e) quality: 44.1 KHz (CD quality) - 16 - stereo
f Leave auto star and auto stop unchecked
g) Click rocket on the right (powerpack) - leave all unchecked
h) Fill out artist, genre, album, comment, year, if you want (all this is optional anyway)
3) Click little arrow next to Record button

a) record to > wave
b) compression settings > check that it shows what you want and what you expect - modify as needed

4) Click test recording level and then start the player to play your file. As it plays bring the test window on top and check the UV meter - it should not go to the red too much - if necessary click the bullhorn there which open the volume controls fro recording and make adjustments. If the UV meter doesn't move thane you've picked the wrong recording control - do some troubleshooting. When you are satisfied, stop the test. Stop the player (don't close the player window) and bring it back to the start of the song.

5) Ready to record? Start playing the song in the player. Click the big Record button in Aux Input and then click the red dot to start a recording. You have to do all this fast. Make sure you see it saying Recording track01 or something like that. If it says Wating to record.. it means you did not click the red button to star the recording.

7) check the UV meter for signs of life - if ok, leave it alone - otherwise find out what you did wrong. and start over.

8) when the song is finished, click again the red dot on the little recording window with the VU meter on it.

9) That should be it. Your file is called Track01 or whatever naming convention yo managed to give it and it's sitting in the folder you selected in step 2 a).

Razgo
05-20-2005, 04:12 AM
nice FAQ Christina :thumbup:

cruxshadow
05-20-2005, 04:41 PM
ok,didnt work,i checked the options and dont know what me soundcard name is ,but tryed all of them and the digital input(im guessing thats it)was checked and did the VU test and all of them started about 1 sec and then dropped,and the digital input wouldnt test at all

so are there any other programs that do this as well that any of you guys know of?

ChristinaS
05-20-2005, 08:31 PM
You are defintely NOT following instructions.

There's no digital input in this - that's for transferring from some external recording devices - no the case for you.

Use Default (maybe yours is an on-board soundcard) and stereo mix in recording volume controls.

But please, DO pay attention to the instructions.

cruxshadow
05-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I HAVE,i have default recording,loudest volume,tryed med too,didnt work,converting to wave,output to:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents
i have gone through the WHOLE program configuration and it wont work still
:vmad:

ChristinaS
05-21-2005, 03:05 AM
What part doesn't work?

Is the song played in the player?

Did you hit the record button and the red dot for recording? And let it be while the song is being played in the player?

Wayne
05-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Maybe his soundcard doesn't have the ability to record what you playing. They say nothing beats a picture so here goes. When I click on the Auxiliary Input Source Select button the following window opens:

http://www.zahadum.u-net.com/images/Portfolio file 2.jpg

By ensuring that only "What U Hear" is selected I can record anything that I listen to through the speakers. Most of the others are for inputs to my sound card external to my PC.

If you do not have the ability to record what you hear you may have to connect the line-out on your PC to the line-in.

Wayne

cruxshadow
05-22-2005, 09:34 PM
i did,isnt the VU meter supposed to move and be a colour other than grey?
i didnt get that screen,all i get is the Fpink volume control
and when i change the record source,and click the volume in the test record screen,i get the fpink volume bar EVERY time
by the way,when you minimize the program,does it have the name of
dBpowerAMP music c...(converter-input)

cruxshadow
05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
and also i noticed in the walkthrough,the Test recording meter had red volume bars,i have none but the speaker beside it indicates there are waves in front of it,and i tried to raise the recording volume and just cant seem to bring it up. :cry: and how did you get to your volume control? :(

ChristinaS
05-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Please get to know your own computer. And follow instructions properly. I cannot repeat over an over everyhting.

Wayne
05-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Have you tried updating the Auxiliary Inputs options?

What do you get when you click on the Input Source Select button? See screenshot below.

http://www.zahadum.u-net.com/images/Portfolio file 1.jpg

Wayne

cruxshadow
05-23-2005, 08:24 PM
thank you for your time guys,but i found another way to record,like using a double jacked connection(like one jack on the end of headphones)i cut 2 in half andwrapped them together and they work alright but tomarrow ill solder them together and hopefully work alot better.

i still didnt get that volume screen but thats alright cuz i found the way around.

:komisch12

cruxshadow
05-25-2005, 10:29 PM
i now know about the VU meter but is it better if the meter is all the way red or should it be just about full?

ChristinaS
05-26-2005, 01:13 AM
It should not be red. I may go into red once in a while and not stay there more than a fraction of a second, that's ok. If it's in the red a lot of the time the audio will be seriously distorted, as it's way too loud coming in. You have to lower the volume of the source until the VU meter stays green with just the occasional incursion into orange or a bit of red.

cruxshadow
05-28-2005, 09:06 PM
oooooh ok,so it should be somewhere in the middle or just about red huh?
will it still go into the red if the music is turned down?cuz i used two wires that were choped and put the ends in water for the best connection i could get(i know water conducts electricity and wanted the best connection possable)
do you guys play it from a speaker into the microphone or do you guys have a double jacked wire for the output-to-input? :komisch12

LtData
05-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Actually, you should be able to select a setting that loops the audio without having to connect the line in to the line out. Try Stereo Mix. Also, its probably staying in the red a lot due to noise. Connect one wire from each set together, but do NOT allow the pairs to touch. In other words, connect wire 1 from one wire to wire 1 on the other wire and wire 2 to wire 2, etc. Don't connect wire 2 to wire 1.