PDA

View Full Version : Aux Input recording level

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I haven't used the aux input in awhile but somethings not right. I have my turntable hooked up to my receiver and the record output going into line in on my soundcard. When I try to adjust the recording level the red indicators go up and down but not the actual sound of the music. It just stays blaring. How is the music bypassing the recording level?

ChristinaS
05-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Check the Volume controls for recording from the task bar.

Craze
05-10-2005, 08:11 AM
I usually have both the Master Volume control and the Recording Mixer opened at the same time whenever using Aux Input. You can get rid of the blaring by turning the Master down.

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I did that. That's the weird part. When I adjust the recording level I still get and input signal coming through even when the recording level is all the way down. What's going on?

ChristinaS
05-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Let's see what you might have.

You plugged in you external device into line-in on your sound card.

You opened Volume controls and set select Recording and have enabled line-in and nothing else (you can't anyway, only one selection should be active at any time). Line-in slider 2/3 of they up to cut back distortion.

You also select Playback and mute microphone, but allow all other controls.

Keep line-in slider up, adjust master volume to where you want it. What if you mute this one too?

Does this look like what you have?

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Yes it's like that. The only way I seem to be able to stop the input signal but not adjust the level from coming in is I go into advance settings in the Master volume and check off rear speakers connected to line in. There are no rear speakers though.

ChristinaS
05-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes it's like that. The only way I seem to be able to stop the input signal but not adjust the level from coming in is I go into advance settings in the Master volume and check off rear speakers connected to line in. There are no rear speakers though.
Oh, then you must have a bit of a configuration problem. Does your sound card have it's own control program? You could try to go and configure properly your speaker setup there.

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm adjusting all sound devices through windows nothing special

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 02:05 PM
I've used this program in the past without any problems has it been updated. I've recorded several hundred records with this without any problems no all of a sudden this. I installed and reinstalled on different pc but the same problem. Once I download this is there anything else I'm missing?

Spoon
05-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Try recording with Windows sound recorder, changing the volume should change in that.

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I plugged my turntable into my mixer, rec-out from mixer to line-in on pc. Everything works fine. Why do I get the loud distorted signal when I use my receiver rec-out to the line-in. Thanks everyone for your help.

ChristinaS
05-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I plugged my turntable into my mixer, rec-out from mixer to line-in on pc. Everything works fine. Why do I get the loud distorted signal when I use my receiver rec-out to the line-in. Thanks everyone for your help.
Is the volume sldier for line-in in Volume Controls > Options >recording at 2/3 of the way up? Any higher you'll get distortion.

Bajanboi
05-10-2005, 11:44 PM
it's only 2/3 up.

ChristinaS
05-10-2005, 11:51 PM
it's only 2/3 up.
How about on your mixer? is it full blast? Try to lower it some.

Bajanboi
05-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Everything works fine when I use the mixer I just have the problem when I run and input source from the receiver to the computer. Is it because there's no volume control for the turntable? Even still I should be able to control it with the rec-level.

ChristinaS
05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't know. How about you mute the line-in for Playback?

Bajanboi
05-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm getting info that maybe the output from the receiver is a fixed output that exceeds the input on the soundcard. I'll just use the mixer for the time being. Thanks for all of your help.

ChristinaS
05-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Oops, I didn't realize you were talking about 2 different set-ups. Sorry about that.

Usually turntables need a pre-amp of sorts before you can record properly from them. Going through the mixer must have provided that for you. I don't know why going through the receiver didn't act the same way, but then you said there's no volume adjustement there. I can't imagine what kind of device that is, the turntable I used to have, and the cassette player I still have, were plugged into a receiver/amplifier and that does have volume control and output control (monitored with the UV meter - from memory, as it's also broken right now and not likely to get fixed any time soon :o ).

DaMarcus
05-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey ...

does your record player have a ground cable? is ist connected to the reciver? Some mixers change the symetric to an asymetric singal or the other way around and filter the distortion brought by the magnetic sys of the record player. This might cause probs - simply connect the additional wire to the reciver.

?!??

Craze
05-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Finding a suitable Line Out that does not overdrive the signal on some recording equipment can be a tricky proposition. I have a vintage reel to reel deck from the late '60's and a studio cassette deck from the mid 80's patched in series to my 'puters Line In.

Both decks Line Outs are too hot for Auxiliary Input and Windows Line In.
The cassette deck's headphone level out is also too hot. And all are fixed w/ no volume control tied to them.
What has saved me headaches is that the reel to reel has three Line In's available whose levels can be controlled via recording level sliders from the headphone jack without having to have the recorder in a recording/standby/paused mode. Basically like having an external mixer.

The bottom line is that not all equipment's Outputs can be controlled through a volume control. In which case, you're going to have to improvise.
Best Wishes.
Craze