PDA

View Full Version : Compressed wav not working

casketizer
05-06-2005, 12:47 AM
I tried to make some mp3 compressed wav files but it doesnt work. The resulting files are always only 32sec. I have tried all 4 installed mp3 acm codecs (Fraunhofer, Cyberlink, Intervideo, Microsoft).
Then just for experimentation i tried other acm codecs and they all produced useless results, atrac produced a file bigger than the uncompressed PCM wav, some produced emty files, none was working correct.

Compressing to non wav mp3 with lame or mp3enc or to wma 9.1 works fine.

But i need to convert some files to mp3 compressed wav. I compressed some files with sequoia and it worked fine, but it has no batch mode and i need to convert almost 1000 files :(

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 12:53 AM
I tried to make some mp3 compressed wav files but it doesnt work. The resulting files are always only 32sec. I have tried all 4 installed mp3 acm codecs (Fraunhofer, Cyberlink, Intervideo, Microsoft).
Then just for experimentation i tried other acm codecs and they all produced useless results, atrac produced a file bigger than the uncompressed PCM wav, some produced emty files, none was working correct.

Compressing to non wav mp3 with lame or mp3enc or to wma 9.1 works fine.

But i need to convert some files to mp3 compressed wav. I compressed some files with sequoia and it worked fine, but it has no batch mode and i need to convert almost 1000 files :(

You have to select Convert to wave, and then click Compressed. From the first drop down box you select MPEG layer 3 and then you simply pick the specs you want to have (bitrate, frequency, channels) from the other drop down box that opens up.

casketizer
05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
You have to select Convert to wave, and then click Compressed. From the first drop down box you select MPEG layer 3 and then you simply pick the specs you want to have (bitrate, frequency, channels) from the other drop down box that opens up.

Thats exactly what I did and it produced the abovementioned results my dear....

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Thats exactly what I did and it produced the abovementioned results my dear....
Well, then your'e doing something wrong, my dear :D

What are the specs of your input file? and what did you select for an output file?

casketizer
05-06-2005, 01:18 AM
It is a normal CD ripped wav file. Encodes fine to anything else but compressed wav. And compresses fine to compressed wav with sequoia.
Output file compressed wav 192kbit/sec, tried four different installed mp3 codecs, all produce file of 32sec.
BTW I am a professional sound engineer and I know how to use the program.

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 01:44 AM
It is a normal CD ripped wav file. Encodes fine to anything else but compressed wav. And compresses fine to compressed wav with sequoia.
Output file compressed wav 192kbit/sec, tried four different installed mp3 codecs, all produce file of 32sec.
BTW I am a professional sound engineer and I know how to use the program.
Great. So then you can figure out what is not right :D

For me a "normal cd ripped wav" is 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo PCM wav.

And where in mpeg layer 3 compressed wave settings did you find 192kbps?

casketizer
05-06-2005, 02:08 AM
For me a "normal cd ripped wav" is 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo PCM wav.

For me (and most other people) too.

And where in mpeg layer 3 compressed wave settings did you find 192kbps?

there:
http://img210.echo.cx/img210/4798/192kbitjpeg4df.jpg

or there:
http://img218.echo.cx/img218/1930/192kbitjpeg26cs.jpg

casketizer
05-06-2005, 02:27 AM
BTW the bitrate doesnt matter, I tried 128, 256 and 320kbit/s too, with same result: 32sec files only.

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 02:56 AM
BTW the bitrate doesnt matter, I tried 128, 256 and 320kbit/s too, with same result: 32sec files only.
Well, well, well.

I dont' have such a combination under mpeg layer-3 compressed wave. The highest bitrate I have there is 56kBps at 24000Hz, stereo.

casketizer
05-06-2005, 03:11 AM
Then you only have the microsoft mp3 codec.
I have that and three other mp3 codecs on this machine.
One goes up to 256kbit and two go up to 320kbit.
http://img141.echo.cx/img141/3393/320kbitjpeg9zm.jpg

neilthecellist
05-06-2005, 08:47 AM
hey I have the LAME mp3 ACM codec, if you need it, I'll email it to you, but I have to run to school now (only have 15 minutes to get in the car and get to school! :eek: )

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Then you only have the microsoft mp3 codec.
I have that and three other mp3 codecs on this machine.
One goes up to 256kbit and two go up to 320kbit.

For mpeg layer 3 compressed wave obviously I have nothing else. I of course have Lame, Blade, mp3Pro and Fraunhoffer for actual mp3 conversions, with their whole range of specs.

I'm only using the wav mpeg layer 3 codec when I need a highly compressed wav file, as I needed for a flash intro with audio recently. My flash software takes mp3 or wav only. The mp3 files were all too big at compression levels that would still be acceptable audio, uncompressed wav is way out of question, the compressed wav seemed to sound better at one of the lowest bitrates (resulting in a smaller file than an acceptable quality mp3), so I used that.

Otherwise my codec of choice is wma most of the time.

I too must have numerous other mp3 codecs, from various other software I have (mostly video processing stuff) but they are not connected to dB in any way.

How did you install the others so that dB sees them for compressed wave? Did you simply place other codecs in the corresponding dB folder?

ChristinaS
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok, I downloaded and installed the LameACM codec supposed to allow compressed wav as Lame mp3. Reboted. I see it under compressed wav options - as Lame mp3 and also more options added to mpeg layer 3.

The conversion works in the sense that it starts and completes, but the resulting file has 0kbps bitrate, so there is actually no audio, and the shown duration is half or less than half the original, depending on bitrate chosen for the conversion. After closing WMP (wehre the file was not played), I get an error message saying that Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error.

So that compression does not work properly, with no error message during it. Haven't searched the forum to see if there was any other procedure to be done to enable this to function. Will have to see if there is a beta version of dMC that I may need as well.

Same result when using compressed wave as Lame mp3 or mpeg layer 3 - for those higher bitrates. It continues to work at low bitrates, as before I installed Lame ACM.

You may be experiencing a similar problem, but your codec is identified differently in the compressed wav drop down list.

Spoon
05-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Check that no DSP effects are running.

ChristinaS
05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't have any DSP effects enabled. Only got this problem for the LameACM codec itself and for the extra options added to MPEG Layer-3 once the LameACM codec was installed. All back ok once I uninstalled the LameACM codec, but of course back down to only low bitrates & frequency for the MPEG Layer-3 wav codec options.