PDA

View Full Version : Scripting auxiliary converter

compwiz312
05-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi, I wondering how I can script the auxiliary input part of dbpoweramp.

I am writing a program that will analogly (if thats a word) convert files from one format (aka protected WMA) to another format of your choice.

Basically what I need to control is the following (if possible):

Album Name
Artist Name
Genre
Comment
Start / Stop record
and Codec options

I am writing this program in Visual Basic and have somewhat limited programming experience, but any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

ChristinaS
05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Auxiliary Input does not work by itself, it needs audio input from the sound card, whether generated by a media player or from an external source.

I'm not sure how much you can do by scripting it to combine 2 separate tasks. You;ll have to be able to control either a media player or, harder yet, an external audio source.

Are you trying to do this because you think it will improve on what's already available?

compwiz312
05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
I actually already have the program written to start playback of the file. What I want to do is have the ability to start and stop the recording in the aux imput. What I am doing as far as the audio source is using a SPDIF loopback (cable connected from SPDIF in to SPDIF out), allows for almost lossless audio de(reen)coding.

If someone could show me how to script the aux converter, I should be set.

BTW, when I finish this, I'll be happy to release it for anyone to use.

And finally, yes I am doing to improve on what's currently available.

LtData
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Why not use use the "What-U-Hear" setting instead of looping via the SPDIF loopback?

compwiz312
05-03-2005, 11:12 PM
So far as I can tell, my soundcard (integrated audio on A7n8x Deluxe) doesn't have that option, but this seems to work just as well.

ChristinaS
05-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Not have that option? Impossible. If you have S/PDIF in and out you have tons of options. Just open Volume controls and select Recording and pick all the different sources. You will have either What U Hear or Stereo Mix there, guaranteed. It will be the first option too.

Lots of head scratching here.... S/PDIF out to S/PDIF in? for something playing already on your pc through your soundcard? I only use S/PDIF in to take input from an external device directly into my soundcard, because that device does not record in a recognizable transferable format.

You will have totally lossless recording (with respect to what is played through the soundcard) if you simply record What You hear of Stereo mix (depends what it's called on your pc). Going through S/PDIF connections involves some loss, however small.

Encoding is another matter best tackled after you have finished recording.

To my way of thinking, the only way you could improve what is there would be a method to synchronize the the actual opening of the media player with the start of the recording process, more easily than just using Auto Start and Auto Stop which relies on the media player being already started. And maybe a better skin to hold all the controls in place on the screen. Of course I doubt you can control any device other that what's on your pc in any way unless it's like those viewcams that get controlled through their firewire connection by the capture program. You won't get that out of a turntable or a cassette player anyway. I also doubt you can interact with any media player that easily, but maybe it's possible.

compwiz312
05-04-2005, 01:39 AM
To my way of thinking, the only way you could improve what is there would be a method to synchronize the the actual opening of the media player with the start of the recording process, more easily than just using Auto Start and Auto Stop which relies on the media player being already started.

That is exactly what I am trying to acheive. I already have my program programmed to start the playback and I can monitor it to see when it ends. What I just need are the dbpoweramp calls to coincide with that.

As for the stereo mix, I was not aware of that, but it shouldn't make a difference as far as the program.

ChristinaS
05-04-2005, 02:02 AM
RIght, but which media player are you working with? dAP can handle many formats, but even it cannot handle everyhting, and cannot handle some encrypted files which need to be played in WMP perhaps. And then external players are a different kettle of fish - and actually many kettles of fish.

Thinks also of flash files that need a shockwave player, streaming media off the web that may need either WMP of Real Player to be play them, DVD videos that need to be played so you can capture the audio....games.... cassette players, turntables, dat machines.....

It's these odd circumstances where dMC Aux input comes really handy.

compwiz312
05-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I am working with an embedded version of Windows Media Player 10 as my primary concern is working with encrypted WMA files. My basic process is this:
Read file metainfo (title, etc...) from WMA file (WMP routines)
Simultaneously playback audio while recording with aux imput
Add ID3 information (my own routine) to output file.

I just need to get step 2 working by scripting the auxiliary input.

ChristinaS
05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I see, so it's only for the purpose of recording the encrypted wma files. It may even work actually.

Have you looked at asx meta files? I believe you can add external scripting there somehow, though I've never looked at that feature myself.