PDA

View Full Version : total noob... Mp4 question

brisdog
04-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I am trying convert some files to Mp4... I downloaded the codec, but I do not see Mp4 as a choice in DBpoweramp converter.
Clue me in...( i did try to find the answer...honest...no luck.)

neilthecellist
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I am trying convert some files to Mp4... I downloaded the codec, but I do not see Mp4 as a choice in DBpoweramp converter.
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7583

ChristinaS
04-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Downloaded, yes, but did you also install whatever you downloaded?
Then of course, follow the other thread.

LtData
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
And, as always, make sure you installed everything to the same directory. Does the mp4 codec show up in dMC Configuration? (Start --> Programs --> dbPowerAmp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration)

neilthecellist
04-27-2005, 10:58 PM
If it doesn't, reinstall. And if that doesn't work, tell us which codecs you downloaded, exactly.

brisdog
04-28-2005, 04:55 PM
thanks everyone... I will dig into it and see what I did!
I can't find the "configuration" folder.
Dbpoweramp shows up under "illustrate" in my program file... and there is no config file in there.
BD

LtData
04-28-2005, 06:01 PM
There isn't a config exe to use. What you have to do is run MusicConverter.exe with <config> tag. For instance, I installed dMC to C:\Program Files\dbpowerAmp so my shortcut is (note the use of quotes due to the space in "program files":
"C:\program files\dbPowerAmp\MusicConverter.exe" <config>
And the "Configuration" folder should be in the start menu folder.

brisdog
04-28-2005, 06:19 PM
thanks again for the help !
and pardon my "noobiness"
I found the codec..it was here:
C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Compression
and it is called "m4a (FAAC CLI).dll"
is that the correct one??
apparently not many applications can "play" it.

LtData
04-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, that is the correct file. Do you see Mp4 under "Compression Codecs" in dMC Configuration?

brisdog
04-28-2005, 07:37 PM
nope... just the one I mentioned...and some others.
I am learning that WMA might be the way to go for size and reasonable quality.
Db gives so many choices within that type,,, that will need some learning!
BD

ChristinaS
04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
You should have an entry in your programs when you look from Start, called dMC Configuration, inside the dBpowerAMP folder.

That is of course a shortcut to what LtData is saying.

Once you do run that program, you can scroll down to see all the codecs that are installed, first for Writing and then for Reading.

brisdog
04-28-2005, 08:28 PM
hi Christina
AHH HA....... now I see what you guys have been trying to tell me.... found the config bit. and the codec's are there but not one saying mp4 ... I do have m4a which is the same???......

LtData
04-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Yea, same thing, just different extension. Do you see an option to encode to m4a? Also, you should be able to change the default encoding extension somewhere, but I don't know where.

Edit: Found it. Go to the folder containing the FAAC Codec [C:\program files\illustrate\dbpoweramp\compression\m4a (FAAC CLI) in your case] and open up options.txt. Change "m4a" to "mp4" and save the file.

neilthecellist
04-28-2005, 08:59 PM
and that solves it all, LtData?

brisdog
04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
hmmm... that looks possible... it will have to wait till tomorrow... I gotta crash.
early day at work...... stay tuned, and thanks for the help
BD

LtData
04-28-2005, 11:45 PM
It will let dMC encode to mp4 files. But, m4a files should work just as well unless the player is that specific about extensions. Can you now encode to m4a or, after changing the file, to mp4?