PDA

View Full Version : Assigning freedb info from Win Explorer

DoJe
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
So my question is this,
I am looking for a way to use the freedb database after a CD has already been ripped. Or from a music file that wasn't ripped through dbPower. I see that you can right click on a file or files from win. explorer and select edit tag. But once in there you only have the categories to choose from. I'm looking for a way to use the FREEDB from here. My question is; is there a way to access the freedb from there so that I could use the freedb to automatically update all the info once I tell it what album its looking at. Does that make sense?

I'm looking for a way to use the freedb on files that have already been ripped or other currently existing sound files.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated!
Thanx in advance!

-DoJe

ChristinaS
04-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Probably not, since the freedb database is set to recognoze a recording by some key signature on the original cd (or an identical copy of it). It identifies an entire cd, not individual songs either. It will not recognize something that's already been ripped even to wav, much less to a compressed format.

LtData
04-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Actually, I do have a program that can apply tags to previously-ripped music via freedb. Note that it works best when you have the entire CD ripped. The program is called "The Godfather". Link here: http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/

ChristinaS
04-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Actually, I do have a program that can apply tags to previously-ripped music via freedb. Note that it works best when you have the entire CD ripped. The program is called "The Godfather". Link here: http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/
But doesn't your program perhaps make tags from the file name which may be assumed to have a certain format (album-artists-track....) and which file name may have origonally come from rippping a cd recognized in freedb?

If that's what that program does, then you can also use dMC with the "codec" tag from file name (for which you need the PowerPack).

LtData
04-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Actually, it really checks FreeDB for the CD. You type in the Artist name and/or CD name and it searches the database and gives you the results, you then apply the correct album to the files. It will tag them correctly and name then correctly also.