PDA

View Full Version : Griffin imic

shapiroa
04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I just got a Griffin Imic, an inexpensive external (USB) sound card. I'd been using dbpoweramp's auxiliary to record/digitize a huge LP collection. (Yeah, it's stupid, but . . . . ) As you all know, PC laptops don't have sound cards with line-in. If you want to digitize LPs with a laptop, the microphone input works, but the result is mono sound. The Griffin Imic permits you to record/digitize in stereo. And the imic worked immediately (with Win XP) using my existing dbpoweramp auxiliary software, converting to mp3 on the fly.

Only one small problem -- It's a very sensitive input. Picks up a lot of vinyl surface noise, and, connected to my home audio system's amp/receiver, the laptop's Wave-in volume control can't go LOW enough to avoid occasional distortion on high-volume passages. I'm thinking of getting a cheap pre-amp, and just connecting my turntable to pre-amp to imic. That should give me better control over the volume.

Anybody have ideas -- other than that I should go out and buy CDs of all my old LPs????

emerald
04-09-2005, 03:43 AM
I've had the same problem, though using an external Creative Labs Soundblaster. In my case connecting the pick-up directly to the soundblaster (no pre-amp) works fine.
By the way, the software that came with my card has excellent de-hissing and noise reduction.