PDA

View Full Version : File Selector Doesn't Display Properly

Unregistered
08-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Does anybody know why File Selector isn't displaying properly? When I open the program I see either an explorer window (the toolbar buttons) or my desktop icons through the File Selector skin. I have uninstalled and then re-installed but it didn't fix it. The Audio CD Input displays correctly. This happens when File Selector is the only program open so I don't think it's a RAM issue. I have used File Selector with previous versions of dBpowerAMp. This started when I dl'd r9.

While I'm here, I have a second question. I installed Powerpack because I was curious about the rip-to -RAM feature. I thought there would be a noticeable difference in ripping/encoding speed. My comparison shows that I get exactly the same speed whether I "rip-to-RAM" or not (2X). I get this result also whether i rip/encode at the same time or not. Is this a limitation of my system - AMD 475, 96 RAM?

Thanks

James

Spoon
08-16-2002, 02:42 AM
You need to install the latest version of the file selector.

Rip to Ram will only help the ripping side, try ripping to wave, if it is 2x there is definately a problem, see the dMC Help >> Audio CD - there is a section on speedimg it up.

Unregistered
08-16-2002, 05:13 PM
Thanks Spoon

FileSelector displays correctly now after I dl'd 4a. I thought I had done this already...duh.

I tested ripping to wav:

A track 4:50 in length ripped in :43 with rip-to-RAM and :50 without rip-to-RAM.

Ripping/converting directly to wma8 took 2:23 (2X).

Converting the wav to wma8 took 2:07

Is this the fastest encoding (2X) I'll get from my system?

I have about 1200 CD's I want to convert to wma for my jukebox. Will upgrading my PC make any difference to encoding speed?

Thanks again
James

Spoon
08-17-2002, 05:38 AM
You might try the option 'Rip and Encode as same time' it might shave a few seconds off.

When encoding to WMA, Ogg or Mp3 the processor speed is the number *1 limiting factor - going for a twice as fast processor will yield about a 2x speed increase.

Also if you are talking of upgrades - I can recommend the AOpen 52x speed CD drive (just a reader), it is very cheap and will rip the same length file on mine in about 20 seconds.

totalXSive
08-17-2002, 11:55 AM
You may well be restricted by your RAM - I don't know what OS you're running but having a little more may make an improvement.