PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert to iTunes and preserve tags?

colin_young
03-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I'd like to convert my collection of 7000+ songs in wma and mp3 to iTunes and preserve the tags I've entered (including my ratings in WMP).

Also, is there some way to re-rip selected files from the original CDs in a lossless codec, and replace the existing low bitrate file, but copy the tags from the low bitrate version to the new lossless format.

Thanks for any tips.

Colin

Spoon
03-22-2005, 04:09 PM
You are best leaving your mp3 files, converting to mp4 will only loose quality and Apple's stuff will work with mp3.

colin_young
03-22-2005, 07:19 PM
The plan was to leave the mp3 files as-is, and only convert the wma. Ultimately, I'd like to to re-rip all my "important" tracks using a lossless codec. The problem is preserving the tags when importing to iTunes (the ratings, playcounts, etc. get lost) and when re-ripping. I was hoping somebody might have some scripts already created (something that would identify files according to some criteria, tell me which CDs to grab, then ripping and encoding, copying tags from the original and replacing it).

I guess I'll have to look into creating one myself. It actually looks like it shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm not sure how to access the iTunes info on Windows. Of course I'll also need to find some free time.

Colin

Otto42
04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
If you want to create your own script, it's not too difficult.

I have a script that will save and restore ratings/playcount/last played time from the iTunes database. If you have a way to export the ratings, you might be able to use code like this or use this code itself to assist you. Grab a copy here: http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/SaveRatings.zip

Essentially, it's an HTA file with some embedded javascript to do the work. The save function will read the iTunes database and save the ratings and such off to an XML file of its own format. The restore function reverses this. It keys on Song name, artist name, and album name.

Might be helpful, somehow.

colin_young
04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that. I'm assuming it's Windows, so at the very least it should show me how to conenct to iTunes. Now I just need to find some time...