PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- MP3 clicks and warbles - HELP!

Goldenvoice
03-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone. I'm glad there's an active forum!

I'm playing with this program for the first time. Last evening I spent hours trying to rip from CDrom to Mp3. The new file clicks (pops) and warbles timewise (ie: the timing of the music jumps). It's like the cheesy bad e-mail background stuff I hear...

I've been logging my settings, and trying different things, but to no avail.

Using DBpowerAMP Music converter.

I've been reading off a CDRmusic, but this morning tried a "factory" release - no difference. What am I missing? A basic step or setting?

Could it be my processor speed?
or the speed or age of the CDrom?

Operating system: Windows 98SE
Pentium II 266mhz 256mb RAM
CDrom: HITACHI CDR-8130

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Joe

LtData
03-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I think its that your CPU cannot properly encode the mp3 at the speed the program is requesting. I seem to remember dMC having problems making mp3s on CPUs below about 500Mhz or so.

Goldenvoice
03-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok, could be. So how would I set everything to the slowest / easiest settings to try it?

Joe

LtData
03-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway for you to use dMC to encode mp3s on that slow of a processor. Anyone else have any ideas?

Goldenvoice
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Hmmmm...

and would it be too much to ask about anything else I may download to get the job done?

LtData
03-18-2005, 11:25 PM
That's why I asked if anyone else had any ideas. I don't know if any mp3 encoder will be able to encode on your system.

Have you tried mabye ripping a CD to WAV and then converting those files to mp3? That might be an option that lessens the CPU load somewhat.

Tomb
03-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Firstly have you installed the system updates (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Windows95-Update.htm) available.

Or try another ripper. Audiograbber (http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/) is a good choice. I have previously ripped on a Pentium with this in the past.

neilthecellist
03-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Dude no offense or anything but your system specifications are old/extremely outdated. I've used Win98SE in the past and my brother likes to describe SE as shi oh wait I can't cuss on this forum. :) He calls it Sucky Edition. No offense or anything, but I'd have to agree with him. It really is bad. Get WinXP . I love it. Or Mandrake/Knoppix Linux.

You should upgrade your system. Either a Pentium 4 2.0 or higher or an Athlon 2400+ or higher (requires a new motherboard if your current mobo doesn't support AMD CPUs)

Also, get a CD burner that burns RW. 52X is the current standard and is pretty cheap. (15 dollars at the Fry's Electronics near me...I'm in San Diego California)

Finally, if you have any questions regarding your system and how you can improve it, drop me a PM here or gmail me at neilthecellist@gmail.com . (I have invites left if you're interested.)

LtData
03-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Dude no offense or anything but your system specifications are old/extremely outdated. I've used Win98SE in the past and my brother likes to describe SE as oh wait I can't cuss on this forum. :) He calls it Sucky Edition. No offense or anything, but I'd have to agree with him. It really is bad. Get WinXP . I love it. Or Mandrake/Knoppix Linux.

You should upgrade your system. Either a Pentium 4 2.0 or higher or an Athlon 2400+ or higher (requires a new motherboard if your current mobo doesn't support AMD CPUs)
1. He would probably be better of buying a whole new system, as he would also need a new case, PSU, etc.
2. If he's using a Pentium 233MHz, he can't upgrade the CPU anymore, as the higher-clocked CPUs that work in that motherboard won't work.
3. Win98SE is not crap. WinME was crap. 98SE is many times better than ME will ever be.
4. WinXP is great, yes. Running it on that system will just result in frustration or it just not installing period.

If you decide to buy a new system, I have two pieces of advice: get a CD burner and get 512MB of RAM. You'll thank me later. :D

Goldenvoice
03-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, gang!

This ole' IBM is old and slow, I'll admit - but VERY RELIABLE.
Friends who use it for surfing, etc, can't believe how well it runs, but...

I'll be realistic.

And so; our son dropped of his 'old' gaming computer - a PIII.
I e-mailed him for the specs - hasn't gotten back to me yet.
I do know it was a real custom-built hot-shot a year and a half ago...

I'm thinking it is a 512MB RAM. Also, it is running 98SE - WHICH I WILL KEEP!

This is the first real cause I've had to switch machines, although the wife has been bugging me to for some time.

I'll see ya on the faster side,

Goldenvoice :komisch12

ChristinaS
03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
LOL! Well, you may see a wee bit of improvement but don't hold your breath too long :D

neilthecellist
03-19-2005, 06:30 PM
dude!!! A PIII is STILL friggin' outdated. Move onto PIV (Pentium 4) or the Athlon 64.

And you DON'T NEED TO EMAIL HIM for the specs. All you have to do is right click properties on My Computer to find out the specs.....(dude this is what I learned in 6th grade)

Sorry LtData, but I need to contradict you there: Win98SE is crap.

GoldenVoice you really really REALLY need to move onto WinXP or at least Win2000. Even the "old" system that your son gave you is really really really outdated.

ChristinaS
03-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Neil, people who are old enough to be your dad (or mom) don't get addressed as "dude" - ever! :(

Not unless they are your dad (or mom) and have never complained about it.

:komisch9:

Spoon
03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
The funny thing is, until you have a specific need an older computer is just fine (I would say a P3 is ok for working in audio). Now if you were converting miniDV video to DVDs then you might find your computer is too slow, it sure is expensive to stay cutting edge on computers.

Your P2 would possibly have done (it was probabbly an early CD rom drive and some were not very good at audio extraction), if you have a P3 all the better - 512KB that is more than enough for Windows 98.

LtData
03-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Neil, he has no need for a P4/AthlonXP/Athlon64. His needs will be met by the PIII. Everyone doesn't need the most powerful computer out there, you know.

Also, one more thing. Don't upgrade the memory any higher than 512MB. Win9x except ME has trouble addressing over 512MB of RAM. Basically, the system ends up eating up ALL the RAM and causing either a crash or a very slow system.

Goldenvoice
03-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeh, you all rock!

When I was in the 6th grade, PC's hadn't been invented yet! :D

and as far as outdated, like I said, this is the first thing I've needed a computer do do, that this one doesn't do...

So... I'm old school. I record to tape, and LOVE it. friends are recording on hard disk, or computers, but then they're always asking me "how'd you get that sound?"...

OK, dudes and dudettes; I'll be hooking up the newer old comp, and see what she'll do...

Thanks ya'all,
Goldenvoice :komisch9:

neilthecellist
03-19-2005, 11:33 PM
LtData, the reason I'm suggesting for the "most powerful computer out there" is because in a few years, when DVD demands get greater and greater, he will probably need the top-notch computer for his video compression needs.

And yes, I've used a PIII for audio needs. I've concluded that if you're having dMC up and at the same time, surfing the web and/or listening to music, ur comp will lag like hell. The computer i had before this was a Celeron, but before that, ironically, I had a PIII, which is slightly better than the Celeron.

LtData
03-20-2005, 12:01 AM
That's cause Celerons are a waste of silicon to anybody trying to do more than very simple tasks and one at a time at that. Anyway, when he needs a better computer, he can buy one for cheap that is better than the top-of-the-line computers that are out now. If the P3 works for him, I say let him keep it. If he wants to upgrade at some point, fine.