PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible convert MP3s to iTunes?

maggie
03-15-2005, 10:33 AM
the guy at the future shop said it was... but I haven't been able to find out how. I'm really, really clueless when it comes to things like this.

if that guy lied to me.... :vmad:

LtData
03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
the guy at the future shop said it was... but I haven't been able to find out how. I'm really, really clueless when it comes to things like this.

There is no "iTunes" format per se, but you can use dMC to make your mp3 files mp4 or aac, which are formats that iTunes uses. In codec central, you can download codecs to do this. The normal recommendations are for the FAAC encoder codec, which is currently an older version but should server you just fine, and the DEcoder mp4/aac codec at the top of the page.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm

iTunesIsEvil
03-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Just for my curiousity: Why are you wantin' to go to an "Apple" format (aac, m4a, mp4)? You may save some space if youre going from a 192kbps MP3 to a 128k AAC or whatnot, but you won't save that much. And you can't go to a higher bitrate, because the file's can only be as good as what you start out with. iTunes and the iPod both play MP3's so I'm simpy curious. :)

One thing you could do is to import your MP3's into iTunes, and then either select them all, or select one, right click on said file(s) and select 'Convert Selection to AAC.' That's the default format for conversion in iTunes. There are others you can go to as well which can be changed in the Importing tab in iTunes' preferences menu.

maggie
03-17-2005, 09:30 PM
The reason I want to convert MP3s into itunes, is well... I got talked into buying this ipod shuffle thing, it cost me 180 dollars and that just about all I got. long story short, I don't wanna pay for songs from the i-store or whatever. Is their a way to put regular (ahemfree) MP3s on this thing?

I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, I'm just a 15 year old who can't even set an egg-timer.

thanks

LtData
03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Yes, you should be able to add the mp3s to your iTunes library then sync them with your portable device. No, I cannot be any more detailed than this since I neither have iTunes installed or own and Apple portable player.

iTunesIsEvil
03-18-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm sure there is a way to put MP3s on it... try *RTFM. :smile2:

*RTFM: Read The Freakin' Manual ;)