PDA

View Full Version : Burned Cd's won't play on stereo

Pug Dog
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I have a problem, and I may already know the answer, but I guess I want confirmation. Any CD's I burn will only play on my computer. I'm thinking this is a firmware problem, so any help would be appreciated. I've been using TDK 80 min. CD-R's, and my hardware is a Sony CRX-100e(firmware version 1.0 m). If I flash to firmware version 1.0n, will this solve the problem? I have sucessfully burned CD's using 74 min (650 MB) discs in the past. But, of course, the 74's are getting hard to find (at least in the US).

Thanks

Spoon
03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
It will be the physical CD type (as long as your burnt a 'Standard Audio CD' not a mp3 cd), your normal cd player will not like all CD-R discs. Try a different cd-r manufacturer (has nothing to do with 74 / 80 mins).

Pug Dog
03-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Spoon...

I tried a couple of different brands since (Memorex and Maxell), and still they won't play in my stereo (or in any number of boomboxes and walkmans I have lying around), but play fine on the computer. My stereo even spells out "the disc is not finalized". I still think it may be the firmware. As a maximum, my cd/rw player only supports 74 minutes (650 mb). The firmware upgrade will supposedly allow this to go up to 80 minutes (700 mb). There aren't that many brands of cd-r that I can get locally to try. I have also tried burning the 80 minute discs at the 74 minute level, but that didn't work either. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

LtData
03-14-2005, 07:20 PM
If you think its the firmware, go ahead and try updating it then burning off another 80-minute CD-R. It might just be the firmware, since you've tried different brands of blanks.

ChristinaS
03-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Do you have the same problem if you use a different burning program? Like Nero or from within Windows Meida Player (I think it uses Roxio).

Pug Dog
03-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Haven't tried Windows Media Player, but it doesn't work on my version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator...

ChristinaS
03-14-2005, 08:06 PM
So indeed chances are it's your burner that's at fault. Whether you can or not upgrade the frimware, I don't know. It may be just easier to replace it, they are very cheap now, and probably lots faster than the one you have.

LtData
03-14-2005, 09:41 PM
they are very cheap now, and probably lots faster than the one you have.
Indeed they are. A brand-new Lite-On 52/32/52 burner is about $30 from one of two online stores I highly recommend. If you want more information, PM me. Note that this applies to people in the US only (sorry international people, but I'm sure there's similar deals in stores in your country, but I don't know about them).

ChristinaS
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Indeed they are. A brand-new Lite-On 52/32/52 burner is about $30 from one of two online stores I highly recommend. If you want more information, PM me. Note that this applies to people in the US only (sorry international people, but I'm sure there's similar deals in stores in your country, but I don't know about them).
In Canada similar deals are $30-$40- CAD just about any place http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043377&CatId=87 :D

Pug Dog
03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I tried to flash new firmware, but it didn't take. So, I just bought a new burner (the Lite On recommended by Christina and the Lieutenant), and everything works fine now. Thank you all for your help. :smile2: