PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Converting From Windows Media Player to iTunes

stephanief
03-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Am I the only one who wants to convert her windows media player library to itunes so I can download songs to the ipod/shuffle?

Unfortunately I have found out - the hard way - that windows media player had pre-selected an option that protects the .wma files. So before I have to rerip my extensive library, I want to see if there is an easier way to convert the songs.

So far I have downloaded the dBpower AMP Music Converter but when I attempted to convert to .acc, the dropdown menu doesn't list it as an option.

Please advise...thanks!

ChristinaS
03-08-2005, 05:11 AM
Am I the only one who wants to convert her windows media player library to itunes so I can download songs to the ipod/shuffle?

Unfortunately I have found out - the hard way - that windows media player had pre-selected an option that protects the .wma files. So before I have to rerip my extensive library, I want to see if there is an easier way to convert the songs.

So far I have downloaded the dBpower AMP Music Converter but when I attempted to convert to .acc, the dropdown menu doesn't list it as an option.

Please advise...thanks!
No, you cannot decrypt an encrypted wma file in any easy way.

The fastest is re-ripping. Anything else involves lots more acrobatics and will be even more time consuming.

Before you forget, change that setting in WMP so it no longer rips to protected wma in the future. Unfortunately this is the default it comes installed with.

LtData
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
To convert to AAC, you need to download the AAC encoder codec, as well as the AAC decoder codec to preserve tags. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm

You need the "AAC Encoder" in the middle and the "MP4 and AAC Decoder" at the top.

stephanief
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for you response. I just find it hard to believe that this can't be done without re-ripping everything.

And I did find and change the setting in Windows Media Player although I doubt if I will be using the program again.

stephanief
03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
In one last futile attempt, I downloaded your suggested files. It did bring up .acc as an option but after I hit the convert button, I received an "errors whilst converting" message stating that the the "files are encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

Looks like re-ripping is the only option. Thank you for your help.