PDA

View Full Version : Get 1k cda files when writing from CDs

m111
03-06-2005, 02:21 AM
I am trying to put together a compilation CD from a few of my Audio CDs. What I get after ripping them as Audio CDs and writing them to a CD-R is a bunch of 1k files as if I had tried to copy .cda files to a folder without conversion.

I am using Win2000 and a fairly new plextor CD writter.

Did I miss clicking a button someplace. I would like the copies to be the best quality. Do I have to convert to another format first?

Thanks

Spoon
03-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Which release of CD Writer are you using?

Are you Ripping using 'Audio CD Input' and have set the 'Rip to' as Audio CD?

m111
03-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Files:
dBpowerAMPCDWriter-Registered-r2.exe
and
dMC-r11-Registered.exe

Converting file from Audio CD to Audio CD - Standard audio, 80min.

Converter says " Converting 9 Files from [ Audio CD ]"

Win2k system.

Spoon
03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Convert a CD to CD Writer then in CD Writer (the page that lists the tracks before burning) right click on one of the files and select play, does it play the audio ok?

m111
03-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes.

m111
03-11-2005, 11:24 PM
To add a bit more information:
From "Db PowerAmp Music Converter - Audio CD input"
I rip one track from a commercial audio CD using:
Rip To > vAudio CD Then:
Rip Audio From CD
The system seems to process this request in about 30 seconds.

At this point I can play the track as you instructed.

The next thing I do is to put in a blank CD-R into my plextor drive.
Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic comes up automatically and I close it.
I select Burn in CD Writer. In dialog box, with all check boxes checked, I click the "burn" command button.
It seems to process correctly without error.
The CD is ejected.
The files on the new CD are now 1k .cda files that the DbAmp player cannot find.
I hope this helps.

ChristinaS
03-12-2005, 12:01 AM
To add a bit more information:
From "Db PowerAmp Music Converter - Audio CD input"
I rip one track from a commercial audio CD using:
Rip To > vAudio CD Then:
Rip Audio From CD
The system seems to process this request in about 30 seconds.

At this point I can play the track as you instructed.

The next thing I do is to put in a blank CD-R into my plextor drive.
Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic comes up automatically and I close it.
I select Burn in CD Writer. In dialog box, with all check boxes checked, I click the "burn" command button.
It seems to process correctly without error.
The CD is ejected.
The files on the new CD are now 1k .cda files that the DbAmp player cannot find.
I hope this helps.
Did you select to make an audio cd in dMC CD Writer?

Spoon
03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
>with all check boxes checked, I click the "burn" command

CD Writer shouldn't have any check boxes, perhaps I have made a mistake - when you select 'Burn with CD Writer' (or what it is) and a program starts - what is the text title bar - ie dbPowerAMP xxxxxx

m111
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes.(to: ChristinaS)

m111
03-12-2005, 08:47 PM
I select the "Burn" icon in the CD Writer Program.
Then the dialog box titled:
"dBpowerAMP CD Writer - Ready to Burn CD" comes up.
In that dialog box the following check boxes are checked:
Enable Burn Proof
Eject CD after Writing
Delete temporary files after Write

The same dialog box indicates the following information:
Burning 1 track to 'standard audio CD 80 minutes'

In the same dialog box I click the "burn" command button.

Spoon
03-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Just realised something.... 1K cda files are correct for a standard audio cd, put in a cd that was bought from a store, exactly the same. To read such a cd you need a CD Ripper, like dMC Audio cd input.

ChristinaS
03-13-2005, 05:07 PM
LOL! has he tried playing the cd in a dAP or WMP or any cd player?

LtData
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Just realised something.... 1K cda files are correct for a standard audio cd, put in a cd that was bought from a store, exactly the same. To read such a cd you need a CD Ripper, like dMC Audio cd input.
lol, i was wondering the same thing, but I never took the time to grab an Audio CD and check.

To clarify, .cda files are files that tell the computer or audio player where on the CD the song is located. The files in and of themselves are useless without the CD.

ChristinaS
03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I figured I'd be barking up the wrong tree if I brought that up. :D I've never tried to do things that way, not being a fan of shortcuts of this nature. No idea what would be visible and where in such a case. But yes indeed, pop an audio cd in a cd drive and use the Windows Explorer to look at it and all you see is track01.cda , track02.cda, etc., each with a very small file size, I suppose 1k would show. No bearing on the track length itself. :D

m111
03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, that is what I mean by a commercial CD as opposed to some CD-R that I just have hanging around.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was using Audio CD Input to rip this CD.

I ripped the CD using dmc.

I'm glad everyone finds this so amusing, but I'm just trying to be able to put a few tracks from a few different commercial audio CDs onto one CD-R
with the highest possible quality and in audio CD format.

If there is a best practice to do so, please let me know. This has so far taken quite a bit of time and money only to have solitary result of being the butt of a joke.

My assumption here is that all dB Power AMP products would use the same subroutine to rip an audio CD. True? Also in a previous post I mentioned that the ripped track is playable.

Initially, I was expecting an answer like: You can't rip and burn directly from a commercial CD to a CD-R, you have to convert it to FLAC first. Or something like that.

Sorry if I'm being so confusing. I would be glad to provide screen shots if there is a place to send them.

ChristinaS
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I thought you wanted to do it this way for some experiment in expediency.

Did you try to play the cd you burned? it probably plays ok, but probably it only has one track on it - is that true?

Honestly, the easiest way by far is to rip first all the tracks you need to 16-bit, 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo .wav files and after that to burn a new audio cd using those .wav files you've ripped previously.

***Edit*** as per Spoon's note below :D

Spoon
03-16-2005, 05:01 PM
>20-channel stereo

2 channel (typo)

ChristinaS
03-16-2005, 05:56 PM
>20-channel stereo

2 channel (typo)
Oops! LOL! :o :D

Shall correct it on the double.

m111
03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. I had heard long ago that this was a program that could directly copy audio CDs without going to wave files first. Probably nothing does that and I heard wrong. Also the software seems to let me do it without warning messages or any kind of alert. How would I know what it is doing behind the curtains? Thanks for all the help. Sorry to drag this out for a simple answer.

m111
03-17-2005, 08:19 PM
...and to answer the question: no, it does not play at all and several different CD players cannot recognize the CD but can recognize the same brand CD-R if I use Roxio to burn it.

Here is another stupid question for you while I'm here. Would it make sense to convert it to Flac or Monkey's and then to convert that file to audio CD? would I get a better quality CD track than using a 16 bit .wav file?

LtData
03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Here is another stupid question for you while I'm here. Would it make sense to convert it to Flac or Monkey's and then to convert that file to audio CD? would I get a better quality CD track than using a 16 bit .wav file?
WAV, Monkey's, FLAC, and any other lossless format all give you the same audio results.

ChristinaS
03-17-2005, 11:57 PM
...and to answer the question: no, it does not play at all and several different CD players cannot recognize the CD but can recognize the same brand CD-R if I use Roxio to burn it.

16-bit wav is the audio cd quality. The track audio file itself is that.

I am not aware of dMC being able to copy cd to cd.

dMC Audio CD Input can rip an audio cd to your hard drive, into any number of formats that you may have codecs for. dCW can take again all sorts of audio formats and standardize them into an audio cd and burn it.

Yours is the first case I heard of where somebody tries to achieve a cd to cd copy in that manner. It also almost worked. Maybe there's a trick to actually making it work. Although I fail to see how, burning is a 2-step process: first add the audio files one by one to the compilation shown in dCW, and when finished request the audio cd to be burned.

I am wondering though if you couldn't go straight through dCW alone and for the audio file selection point to the audio cd mounted in another cd drive and drag the tracks into the compilation in dCW. Maybe I'll just try it :D

ChristinaS
03-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Hahahaha! This actually works, though I find it rather slow. In my case it seems to do the ripping and copying over part at about 3.8x real time. Maybe that's ok. Also my input drive is a DVD drive so maybe it's slower. Or maybe I need to tweak something or other.

So open dMC CD Writer have your source cd in another drive. Click on New CD and select audio (74 or 80 minutes depending on your type of cd). In the file selector tree over on the top right side, go to the drive that has your source cd. Those tracks will appear on the bottom right. Highlight all those you want to copy and send them over to the left side. You can do teh same thing with tracks from another cd.

When it's all done and all the tracks appear on the left side, proceed to burn the cd thus compiled. You'll have a chance to specify the drive to burn to and speed and the usual parameters for that.

That's all it takes. :D

Thus dMC Audio CD Input is not involved at all.

Wayne
03-18-2005, 05:45 AM
I performed a little test the other night using dMC Audio CD Input to convert some selected tracks (on a commercial CD) to an audio CD. The conversion process seems to have worked and I was able to play the tracks from within dCW.

The only bit I haven't got round to is the actual burning of the CD, however I can not see why this shouldn't work.

Wayne