PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

evildonut
04-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi there,

I've got a problem when ripping CDs in order to add them in WMP's Media Library; in a nutshell, when I add the cd to the library it won't recognise the track's details (artist/name/bitrate/etc...), even though it's perfectly capable of playing them! :vmad:

I've tried with CDex 1.40 (release) and dbAmp Music Converter (release 8), both using Lame and ID Tags V1 & 2... any ideas??

Cheers!

Spoon
04-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Windows Media Player is notoriously bad on ID3 tags, it might have something to do with the type of mp3 you are creating, such as VBR? Switch to a much better player such as dBpowerAMP Audio Player.

evildonut
04-18-2002, 04:43 AM
Beforehand, I was using dBpowerAmp release 4 (the audio cd input to be precise) and I had no problem!

So I am expecting the same result from release 8 really.

MP3 settings :
Lame, 320 kbps / 48KHz (tried 44 too), stereo, CBR, 'preserve ID tags' checked.

I also tried encoding to WMA8, but it would ply only half a second!

The reason why I use WMP is because it offers digital playback, does dAP offer this?

Thanks for your reply,

MODatic
04-18-2002, 06:33 AM
With audio playing software, everthing is done digitally except maybe Audio CD playback but that is also done digitally with DAP and most other players.

Have you tried going into DMC config and setting ID3 tag creation to "never create V2"?

Why are using 48Khz for your encoding? You are converting 44Khz (sampling rate of CDs) Waves to 48Khz which doesn't improve quality and since it's 48Khz, Lame allocates more bits to maintaining the frequency domain and has less to allocate to other parts of the song which means other parts would be starved of the the bits they need meaning you'll be getting lower quality instead.

Spoon
04-18-2002, 08:24 AM
"I use WMP is because it offers digital playback, does dAP offer this"

All music players offer this, except those CD Player front ends that play your Audio CDs through a sound card, so yes it does offer that.

evildonut
04-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Spoon
"I use WMP is because it offers digital playback, does dAP offer this"

All music players offer this, except those CD Player front ends that play your Audio CDs through a sound card, so yes it does offer that.
Well by 'digital playback', I imply that the DAC of the sound card is used, as opposed to the CD-ROM drive's DAC.
WMP offers such option (without having to use a digital cable from the CD-ROM Drive to the sound card, as opposed to say Winamp and dAP (I tried it this morning).

Thanks for replying, I'll try again without creating ID3V2!

Spoon
04-18-2002, 12:00 PM
dAP will not use the DAC on the CD-Rom at all. It plays digitally.

evildonut
04-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Spoon
dAP will not use the DAC on the CD-Rom at all. It plays digitally.
Fair enough, I guess my ear is playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I sorted my problem by upgrading to Windows Media Player 8, and it now is happy again!

Thanks for your help guys.

Gosub
06-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by evildonut

Fair enough, I guess my ear is playing tricks on me.

Anyway, I sorted my problem by upgrading to Windows Media Player 8, and it now is happy again!

Thanks for your help guys.

Uhm, I know this is an old thread, but Windows Media Player 8??? There's no such thing! As far as the MS Update site and Windows Media Player updater are concerned, v7.1 is the latest.

I'd like to get WMP to show tags correctly as well, which is why I ran a search and found this thread.

-Gosub

Unregistered
06-04-2002, 01:33 PM
in responce to version confusion,

i am using WindowsXP Professional and the version of windows media player is, version 8,but is only used in XP it isnt a downloadable component from micrsoft.

Unregistered
06-04-2002, 10:45 PM
I solved this problem a long time ago, by making sure both wmp and the dap ripping software had the same settings in wich the file name was written. Go to options where you determine you nameto be Track-Artist-Album, I played around with this for a few days and finally got it right. There where a few exceptions but now I have the XP version and everything works good.

evildonut
06-05-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
i am using WindowsXP Professional and the version of windows media player is, version 8,but is only used in XP it isnt a downloadable component from micrsoft.
If you surf around the web you'll be able to find it, otherwise it can be extracted from a Windows XP CD.

HTH

totalXSive
06-05-2002, 06:22 AM
Yes, version 8.0 does exist. It supposedly only runs in Windows XP, but if you search around you'll be able to get it working under other Windows versions.

dBpowerAMP and WinAMP can both use Digital Audio for CD playback - on my other computer where I have to CD-ROM drives and only one sound card I can play CDs on both, even though only one has a sound card connection. Or at least that was the case until a computer repair shop accidently lost the jumper on one of the drives... :vmad: