PDA

View Full Version : Help to convert mp3 to mpeg layer 3

jdcrooner
02-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I had an older version of dbpoweramp and had no problems converting mp3's to wavs settings of mpeg layer 3 at 1200, 2 channel stereo and at 3 bits. Now with the newer version, dbpoweramp 11, I can't seem to do the same as before.
I need to compress mp3's to mpeg layer 3, 24 kbps, channels 2 - stereo, and 12 kHz.
What codecs do I need and/or what settings do I choose to do this?

adaywayne
02-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I had an older version of dbpoweramp and had no problems converting mp3's to wavs settings of mpeg layer 3 at 1200, 2 channel stereo and at 3 bits. Now with the newer version, dbpoweramp 11, I can't seem to do the same as before.
I need to compress mp3's to mpeg layer 3, 24 kbps, channels 2 - stereo, and 12 kHz.
What codecs do I need and/or what settings do I choose to do this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm puzzled by your reference to "wavs" but will assume you want to convert some kind of mp3 file to mp3 layer 3, at 24 Kbps bitrate, 12,000Hz, stereo. Well, I use DMC 11 and have no trouble doing that. Just convert to Lame (which is mp3 layer 3) and select the settings you want.

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/1685/dmc8fj.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

ChristinaS
02-19-2005, 01:24 PM
You get mpeg layer 3 under the .wav codec, compressed. However there's no such setting combo exactly as you like.

jdcrooner
02-19-2005, 02:04 PM
:komisch9: Thank you for your quick response. I understand that the mpeg layer 3 settings are under "Wave".
:vmad: The problem I am experiencing relates to these choices. I used to be able to convert them to .wav as 12000 Hz, stereo and as Wave Microsoft ACM. Can't find the ACM selection for this wav type.
Also, when I do convert using the possible settings for mpeg layer 3 and as close as before, when opening them in Gold Wave I get an message that states the file is missing "fact chunk" and/or gives zero samples.
Any help there is appreciated.

adaywayne
02-19-2005, 04:41 PM
:komisch9: Thank you for your quick response. I understand that the mpeg layer 3 settings are under "Wave".
:vmad: The problem I am experiencing relates to these choices. I used to be able to convert them to .wav as 12000 Hz, stereo and as Wave Microsoft ACM. Can't find the ACM selection for this wav type.
Also, when I do convert using the possible settings for mpeg layer 3 and as close as before, when opening them in Gold Wave I get an message that states the file is missing "fact chunk" and/or gives zero samples.
Any help there is appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
May I repeat? The best way to convert to mpeg layer 3 is to use the Lame mp3 codec as I suggested above (and as the DMC Help File explains). That way, you can get the exact settings that you said you want....though why you would want to go to 24-bit resolution whilst, at the same time, going to a sampling frequency of 12,000Hz is a puzzle to me. You can also do it the way ChristinaS suggested, but you have fewer setting options.

Again, rest assured that the DMC Lame codec is, indeed mpeg layer 3.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited for clarity. Or is there some reason that the file extension absolutely has to be wav, even though it is in mp3 format?

ChristinaS
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
(*Err... Arnie.... it's not 24-bit but rather 24kbps.*)

I too would like to know why such a peculiar combo is actually needed. I would think that if you use standard PCM wav settings you'd get a better compatibility all across the board.

It would help to know for what ultimate purpose you are seeking those settings.

Spoon
02-20-2005, 05:43 AM
Here:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2275

adaywayne
02-20-2005, 11:46 AM
(*Err... Arnie.... it's not 24-bit but rather 24kbps.*)

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ooooops.....thanks. I must have been half asleep whilst reading and responding to that post! I think the subject header through me off at first

I wonder if MS is paying Fraunhofer Institute a royalty to use their mpeg layer-3 compression and, if not, whether FI will dare to take on MS!