PDA

View Full Version : Multiple selection for conversion causes problem

onzey
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi

Have downloaded dmc and codecs and so far have tried to convert one album on my pc from itunes .m4a format to AAC format.

My problem is that when I selected all 11 tracks for conversion only the first 2 were complete. These were about 7MB and 4MB. Most of the rest are less than 100KB with one actually 0KB. The tracks should all actually be between 4 and 14MB in size. The whole conversion took less than 20 seconds.

I have tried repeating it and got a similar result, although track 1 was then smaller than expected.

I started trying one track at a time and that looks like it works ok.

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong? I've looked through these forums but can't find this mentioned. I don't really want to do everything one track at a time.

My system uses Windows XP Home SP2.

Thanks for any assistance.

Spoon
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Of those 11 tracks are any protected? (bought from itunes store).

onzey
02-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your interest Spoon.

Tracks are just a straight rip of an album (CD) into itunes library on computer. None are protected or bought from itunes store.

Spoon
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
To convert from m4a to aac you are using the codec 'Mp4 to AAC' (that changes the container) rather than a compressing codec like AAC?

onzey
02-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm selecting Mp4 to AAC in the selection box and it says "AAC stream from Mp4 container" in the dmc display panel.

Just tried running conversion again on same 11 track selection and this time only 1 track complete, track 9 this time.

Spoon
02-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Sorry I don't know what to suggest, it could be the m4a container standard is not correct for those files.

onzey
02-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks anyway Spoon.

I'm using version 4.7.0.42 of itunes at the moment and there is a newer version available. I will download it and see if things improve.

adaywayne
02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your interest Spoon.

Tracks are just a straight rip of an album (CD) into itunes library on computer. None are protected or bought from itunes store.

What program are you using to rip from CDs?

onzey
02-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi adaywayne

I'm using itunes.

ChristinaS
02-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Any reason why you're not using dMC Audio CD Input?

adaywayne
02-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi adaywayne

I'm using itunes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's possible that the iTunes ripping program added copy protection to the ripped files. Real Jukebox used to do that unless you hunted around for the setting to turn the feature off. Try ChristanaS's suggestion.

onzey
02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
ChristinaS

My son has a new mini ipod so loaded the itunes software that came with it to rip tracks to put on it. Noticed it said something about storing tracks in AAC format and since he has an n-gage phone which can play AAC files I thought I would copy a few files to the n-gage media card and see if they played. (At that stage I was thinking an AAC file is an AAC file so it should work). Needless to say they wouldn't play.
Did some searching on the internet and arrived at this page

http://www.mobymemory.com/Content/HOWTO.Converting.your.iTunes.music.library.to.a.mo bile.friendly.format.130.html

which in turn lead me to dMC, which then lead to this thread. Anyway, that's how I came to be using itunes.

I've just had a quick look at dMC Audio CD Input but are you suggesting I use this to rip to some format and then use dMC to convert to itunes format?
Sorry if I'm being dense but I'm a bit new to all this.

onzey
02-18-2005, 09:28 AM
:confused:

Spoon
02-18-2005, 03:56 PM
The iPod plays AAC but the file has to be in an m4a container. I am guessing the nokia just wants a raw .aac audio file? if so there are codecs on the mp4 download page that can write .m4a or .aac

onzey
02-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks Spoon.

Odd though. The fact that some tracks get converted ok from my itunes library would seem to imply that in principle it is capable of doing the conversion. I think I'll just try doing them all one at a time first. (saves getting the cd's out again anyway :D )