PDA

View Full Version : Converting .ra to .mp3

blondi
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
I downloaded the codec to convert .ra to .mp3 and it came up when I right clicked so I know it sees the files. It shows that it is converting but its been converting Don't Rock The Jukebox for 2:10:15 now. What am I doing wrong? I have Real Player installed. :vmad:

ChristinaS
02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I downloaded the codec to convert .ra to .mp3 and it came up when I right clicked so I know it sees the files. It shows that it is converting but its been converting Don't Rock The Jukebox for 2:10:15 now. What am I doing wrong? I have Real Player installed. :vmad:
Is the file to be converted on your computer? dMC cannot convert media streamed on the internet.

What is the extension of the file name? dMC can only convert .ra and .rm.

Is it maybe protected? Protected files canot be converted.

What are the clip properties? Get that in Real Player > File > Clip Properties > Clip Source.

What are the specs of the .mp3 you are trying to convert to? bitrate, frequency, channels.

blondi
02-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Is the file to be converted on your computer? dMC cannot convert media streamed on the internet.

What is the extension of the file name? dMC can only convert .ra and .rm.

Is it maybe protected? Protected files canot be converted.

What are the clip properties? Get that in Real Player > File > Clip Properties > Clip Source.

What are the specs of the .mp3 you are trying to convert to? bitrate, frequency, channels.

Yes the files are on my computer.

The extension of the file names are all .ra

The clip properties are:
Don’t Rock The Jukebox
Category Music
Genre / Subcategory Country
Artist / Source Alan Jackson
Album Untitled - 12-06-04 (1)
Year
My Rating 4
File Name C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Music\Alan Jackson - Don’t Rock The Jukebox.ra
Send Media Link by E-mail
Length 2:54
File Size 3,481KB
Format RealAudio
Quality 160Kbps
Audio Channels 2
Date Created 12/6/2004 7:12 PM
Rights Summary There are no rights or restrictions associated with this clip

I left the settings as they were when I downloaded dbpoweramp. Just downloaded the codecs for .ra.
I left it running all day with no results. It ran for 11:23 never to finish.
The file is not protected. I actually tried it with 4 other tracks with the same result.
It works great for coverting .wma files but I am having problems with the .ra any help is greatly appreciated.

neilthecellist
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes the files are on my computer.

The extension of the file names are all .ra

The clip properties are:
Don’t Rock The Jukebox
Category Music
Genre / Subcategory Country
Artist / Source Alan Jackson
Album Untitled - 12-06-04 (1)
Year
My Rating 4
File Name C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Music\Alan Jackson - Don’t Rock The Jukebox.ra
Send Media Link by E-mail
Length 2:54
File Size 3,481KB
Format RealAudio
Quality 160Kbps
Audio Channels 2
Date Created 12/6/2004 7:12 PM
Rights Summary There are no rights or restrictions associated with this clip

I left the settings as they were when I downloaded dbpoweramp. Just downloaded the codecs for .ra.
I left it running all day with no results. It ran for 11:23 never to finish.
The file is not protected. I actually tried it with 4 other tracks with the same result.
It works great for coverting .wma files but I am having problems with the .ra any help is greatly appreciated.

what are your system specifications?

blondi
02-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Intel Petium III 696MHZ 256MB of Ram with Windows XP SP2

blondi
02-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Looks like I am not the only one having this problem.

ChristinaS
02-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Do you have the Powerpack? you need this in order to convert to mp3. It shoudl either be still in the trial period or else registered.

Use Priority of conversion below normal.

I assume you downloaded the Real Audio decoder codec, not the encoder one. Of course you need Real Player.

All you rdBpowerAMP installations have to eb to the same folder, best to use the one recommended during the instalalitons proces: c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP.

blondi
02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Do you have the Powerpack? you need this in order to convert to mp3. It shoudl either be still in the trial period or else registered.

Use Priority of conversion below normal.

I assume you downloaded the Real Audio decoder codec, not the encoder one. Of course you need Real Player.

All you rdBpowerAMP installations have to eb to the same folder, best to use the one recommended during the instalalitons proces: c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP.

I am still in the trial period.

I even tried the conversion with low priority. Yes I downloaded the Real Audio Decoder Codec and I have Real Player.

I haven't changed the installation files at all so they are going to the file specified above.

ChristinaS
02-07-2005, 07:19 PM
It should take exactly the same time as it takes to play it.

Can you play the file in Real Player?

Try a test conversion (no write).

If that works, convert to uncompressed PCM wav, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo (i.e. regular wav).

If that works take the wav and convert it to mp3.

If still no go, there's something involving DirectShow codecs, I think in the beta test section, which may work. Never used that myself yet.

neilthecellist
02-07-2005, 07:21 PM
blondi, have you recently reformatted your computer with Windows? I've had this problem where after I reformatted my computer with Windows XP Home Edition, my computer is all laggy. There's no spyware, no viruses, no adware, but my computer lags. Like, when I'm playing video games, it moves 60 FPS the first second, 0 FPS the third second, 60 FPS the third second, 0 FPS the fourth, etc etc. Even when I'm opening a simple window and scrolling down, it lags. 60 FPS, then 0 FPS, then 60 again....

blondi
02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
It should take exactly the same time as it takes to play it.

Can you play the file in Real Player?

Try a test conversion (no write).

If that works, convert to uncompressed PCM wav, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo (i.e. regular wav).

If that works take the wav and convert it to mp3.

If still no go, there's something involving DirectShow codecs, I think in the beta test section, which may work. Never used that myself yet.

Yes the songs play in Real Player.
No it didn't work, still had to shut it down with the task manager. I will look for the DirectShow Codecs. Thanks for trying to help.

blondi
02-07-2005, 08:09 PM
blondi, have you recently reformatted your computer with Windows? I've had this problem where after I reformatted my computer with Windows XP Home Edition, my computer is all laggy. There's no spyware, no viruses, no adware, but my computer lags. Like, when I'm playing video games, it moves 60 FPS the first second, 0 FPS the third second, 60 FPS the third second, 0 FPS the fourth, etc etc. Even when I'm opening a simple window and scrolling down, it lags. 60 FPS, then 0 FPS, then 60 again....

No such luck. I reformatted my computer when Windows XP first came out with the Professional Version. Really this is the only thing I have had any problems with. I have been very fortunate. I have heard horror stories about people reformatting. But luckily I haven't.

ChristinaS
02-07-2005, 09:27 PM
One thing that sort of puzzles me - you are saying bitrate is 160kbps - usually it's specified as a "maximum bit rate" for a Real Media file. You'd also get "audience" information.

I'd venture a guess that your .ra file has been mis-named, the actual extension maybe ought to be .mp3. Real Player plays it because it's not too picky on the extension, it may look more at other information contained in the file.

Try to rename it as .mp3 and see if Windows Media Player plays it.

If that doesn't work, just rename it back to .ra before you continue.

Spoon
02-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Install the directshow codec, then edit the file to add .ra to the decoding type, then install 'real alternative' you can find it in google.