PDA

View Full Version : How do i convert files using file selector from over the network?

hammydude
02-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I want to convert some flac files into mp3, that are over the network on a different computer. When I use file selector, the only things I can convert are on my computer (c drive, d drive, e drive, etc.). I can convert one file at a time using regular dBpowerAMP, but I have a few thousand songs to convert so that is impractical. How can I use file selector to convert files that are on a different computer?

LtData
02-06-2005, 02:09 PM
You could try using XP to map a networked drive as a "local" drive with a letter. Right-click on my computer and select "Map Network Drive". You then select what drive letter you wish to use and the location to the directory you want to use.
Whether this will work with File Selector or not, I don't know. It would probably be easier and faster to either transfer all the files to your computer, convert, then transfer back, or convert the files on the network computer.

ChristinaS
02-06-2005, 02:34 PM
You could try using XP to map a networked drive as a "local" drive with a letter. Right-click on my computer and select "Map Network Drive". You then select what drive letter you wish to use and the location to the directory you want to use.
Whether this will work with File Selector or not, I don't know. It would probably be easier and faster to either transfer all the files to your computer, convert, then transfer back, or convert the files on the network computer.
How about using WIndows Explorer and get to the network drive where you have other files, find the folder and then select the files you want to convert and do so. For output destination do not use "same folder as original", nor "overwrite original file" as this would cause problems if you don't have full write access to the network drive. Select a destiantion on your own computer. This should work.

Razgo
02-06-2005, 02:47 PM
maping the folder or drive on the other PC on the network does indeed work. File selector will then see the new drive letter and you can batch convert across the network with this method.

hammydude
02-06-2005, 04:34 PM
THANKS! Mapping the network drive worked, the windows explorer thing didn't work. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

ChristinaS
02-06-2005, 08:59 PM
THANKS! Mapping the network drive worked, the windows explorer thing didn't work. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
Oh, but the Windows Explorer thing indeed does work! I use it often enough myself! Of course, as I said, I never write output to the same folder and I never delete files after conversion either - so there shouldn't be any problem with write access:D