PDA

View Full Version : 5 “How Do I?” Newbie Questions

frothymargarita
01-28-2005, 12:15 PM
5 “How Do I?” Newbie Questions

1. No wma option on “Open Music Files” menu.

Downloaded both files for wma plugin. Rebooted installed. Still DB Audio Player does not give wma as a selection in pull down menu when I click on Open Music Files. Uninstalled all programs, cleaned out registry, re-installed everything. Same results.

2. Don’t know what I did but on re-install, multiplayer no longer shows the format options. It also did not show wma as a choice which was another reason for re-installing all of the programs.

WMA does show up in DB Audio CD Input and DB Music Converter

3A. I play music from several drives and play (and rip) from external cd/dvd player as well as built in cd player. Seems that you should be able to go to, for example, file, open and see all of those sources, click, and choose your music from there. How can I easily do this?

3B. When I open Music Converter it says “Insert Audio CD”. But I can’t figure out how to tell it to look for Drive H (my external drive). It will only look for Drive E ( the built in cd drive).

4. Tracks in Creative Zen Micro do not show format (wma or mp3) when I go to view details. This is important info for me. How do I encode it when using Audio CD Input or Music Converter (Happens automatically when I use Media Source software but db creates better sounding files.)

5. Is it possible to use a look-up service other than freedb (like grace notes which finds more of my cd information)? I am a grandmother—would rather be ripping and listening than typing in tag info. I wanna rock with the time I’ve got left.

Sorry for all the questions. Love the results I obtained with this software when creating mp3 files. Also the skins for the player are really neat.

If this post belongs in the Support Forum can one of the Mods move it or email me to re-post?
Thanks for your help.

LtData
01-28-2005, 02:11 PM
5 “How Do I?” Newbie Questions

1. No wma option on “Open Music Files” menu.

3A. I play music from several drives and play (and rip) from external cd/dvd player as well as built in cd player. Seems that you should be able to go to, for example, file, open and see all of those sources, click, and choose your music from there. How can I easily do this?

3B. When I open Music Converter it says “Insert Audio CD”. But I can’t figure out how to tell it to look for Drive H (my external drive). It will only look for Drive E ( the built in cd drive).

1. Did you also install the wma system codecs?

3A&B. Click the options button and change the selected CD drive in the drop down menu.

Spoon
01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Only freedb is supported, Grancenote have a clause - if you use us then you cannot use anyone else, total crap so freedb it is.

Can you reword 4?

frothymargarita
01-28-2005, 09:38 PM
1. Did you also install the wma system codecs?

3A&B. Click the options button and change the selected CD drive in the drop down menu.

LTData,

Your advice for 3A&B solved that issue.

1. wma system codecs -
I believe I have installed the wma codec, if this is the file name:

Windows Media Audio v9.dll
compression codec

This file is installed in c:\dbpoweramp. For good measure I also copied the file into c:\dbpoweramp\player\multiplayer\input

The db programs are installed in the root directory c:\dbpoweramp and not in program files … because I keep running out of profile space in Windows XP on exchange server (a windows limitation I am told by our IT staff and it cannot be expanded).

Thanks for replying so quickly. Sorry it took me so long to post this, but I actually had to do some work today. :smile:

frothymargarita
01-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Only freedb is supported, Grancenote have a clause - if you use us then you cannot use anyone else, total crap so freedb it is.

Can you reword 4?

Oh Spoon,

That selfish Gracenote! Maybe they will eventually come to their senses. Guess tagging will be a summer project.

Now on to my original question 4.

Let me see if I can explain this a little better.

After mp3s or wmas are loaded onto my zen micro there is a menu item labeled “view details” that you can click on to check the information about a particular song. The listing includes the following information
Track *
Song Title
Artist
Album
Genre
Year
Duration
Play Count
Format : mp3 192kbps 44khz

I am getting all of this information (Track * through Play Count) except for the Format information. I called Creative and they said this might also be a problem with their updated firmware and they will look into it. Meanwhile, I want to make certain that all of my settings in DB are correct so that I am capturing this information.

Again, many thanks for your help and your prompt reply.

LtData
01-28-2005, 10:09 PM
LTData,

Your advice for 3A&B solved that issue.

1. wma system codecs -
I believe I have installed the wma codec, if this is the file name:

Windows Media Audio v9.dll
compression codec

This file is installed in c:\dbpoweramp. For good measure I also copied the file into c:\dbpoweramp\player\multiplayer\input

We're talking about two different things. On the codec central page that has the link to the wma codec, you should see a link to "System Codecs." Have you downloaded those, or do you have WMP 9/10 installed? (Default WMP version in XP and XP SP1 is WMP 8, XP SP2 is 9)

frothymargarita
01-28-2005, 10:45 PM
We're talking about two different things. On the codec central page that has the link to the wma codec, you should see a link to "System Codecs." Have you downloaded those, or do you have WMP 9/10 installed? (Default WMP version in XP and XP SP1 is WMP 8, XP SP2 is 9)

LT Data

I went to Codecs Central and Downloaded *5, Windows Media Audio, then installed the two files.

Popular Codecs

Mp4 Download [Formats .mp4, .m4a] newest mpeg standard (AAC)
mp3PRO Download [Formats .mp3] mp3 low bit derivative
Musepack Download [Formats .mpc, .mp+, .mpp] highest quality lossy codec at high bitrates
Ogg Vorbis Download [Formats .ogg] open source high quality
Windows Media Audio Download [Formats .wma, .asf, .wmv] Microsoft's v9 v8 v7 v2, Standard, Pro, Lossless, voice

Have to go home now will get back to this on Monday.

Thanks for all.

LtData
01-28-2005, 11:21 PM
LT Data

I went to Codecs Central and Downloaded *5, Windows Media Audio, then installed the two files.
*snip*
Have to go home now will get back to this on Monday.
Thanks for all.
You mean this link: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm ? You installed the "Windows Media Audio v9 System Codecs" and " WMA v9 Codec Release 1.3b"?

frothymargarita
01-29-2005, 12:52 PM
You mean this link: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm ? You installed the "Windows Media Audio v9 System Codecs" and " WMA v9 Codec Release 1.3b"?

Yes. That is what I did.

Spoon
01-29-2005, 04:46 PM
There are many different audio compression types, vbr, cbr, etc. For WMA portable players will not play WMA Lossless, Professional or Voice.