PDA

View Full Version : Games, Ogg Vorbis, and dMC

neilthecellist
01-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok, so a year ago I got Unreal Tournament 2004. Great game, and I was 14 at the time I played it. (Oooooo, bad Neil...underage :lol:).....I noticed for the music files it had Ogg Vorbis, using older libraries for the encoding. (somewhere around the year 2000 codec for Ogg Vorbis)

Then I got an age - appropriate game. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Other than the fact that the game sucks, the music was pretty good. I looked @ the directory, WOW! It's in ogg vorbis too!

It used the same libraries. (around year 2000)

Why is that? If I used dMC to rip something to Ogg Vorbis using a more recent library, does it necessarily sound better?

And - when I rip a track from a CD to ogg vorbis at a low bitrate (around 48 ~ 64 kbps) it sounds bad. It's like the sound is all in the center of my speakers.... but if I rip to wma at the same bitrate.......it sounds like AM radio, but all the sound seems to be on the EDGE of my speakers...WHY is that? Is it because WMA is better than OGG?

drspy00
01-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Well they are totally different codecs and cant really be compared. WMA sounds better at a lower bitrate. I prefer ogg as I think it sounds better personally.

I don't think a newer released codec of ogg would make something sound better, im not sure but I think its mainly compression and tags that are updated. I could be wrong so if anyone knows the answer post here too.

neilthecellist
01-10-2005, 01:14 PM
yes someone please. I would like to learn.

adaywayne
01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
yes someone please. I would like to learn.

Go to
http://www.vorbis.com/
and read all the histiry of improvements from the beginning.
Arnie

neilthecellist
01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
i did. i dont get it.

adaywayne
01-10-2005, 01:45 PM
i did. i dont get it.
What don't you get?

ChristinaS
01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Neil, shouldn't you be at school now? I'm sure there are a bunch of school subjects that should require more of your attention than the ogg codec's whys and why-nots.

adaywayne
01-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Neil, shouldn't you be at school now? I'm sure there are a bunch of school subjects that should require more of your attention than the ogg codec's whys and why-nots.

And I should be in school too, to learn how to spell "history". LOL.
Arnie

neilthecellist
01-10-2005, 06:17 PM
LOL! I'm was at school at the time when i posted the last post. I was working on computer programming (Visual Basic) classwork but i decided to take a break. nothin much. don't worry about me! LOL! Thanks for asking tho. ^_^