PDA

View Full Version : how do i defrag and what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do

neilthecellist
01-04-2005, 10:17 PM
You may also be due for a defragmentation of your hard disk.

speaking of defragmentation.... what's the best defragmenter out there? The one that comes with Win XP Pro sucks. It leaves so many gaping holes = not good

Check you are converting to the same frequency as the source audio, changing frequencies can be slower. Look out for an action: 'rendering for DSP effects' if you see this then more work is being does.

what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do? I don't even see an option for that anywhere...:confused:

LtData
01-04-2005, 10:27 PM
speaking of defragmentation.... what's the best defragmenter out there? The one that comes with Win XP Pro sucks. It leaves so many gaping holes = not good
Most people say Diskeeper is good. In fact, the XP built-in defragmenter uses a stripped down version of Diskeeper

what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do? I don't even see an option for that anywhere...:confused:
That's what the status window says when its applying DSP effects, mabye? I don't know, I've never used DSP effects

neilthecellist
01-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Most people say Diskeeper is good. In fact, the XP built-in defragmenter uses a stripped down version of Diskeeper

exactly. stripped down. is there a GOOD defragmenter?

also, why would DSP effects cause conversions to be slower?

ChristinaS
01-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I think defragmenting has to be done by the Windows defrag program, probably not much choice there, though I may be wrong. Gaping holes are not a problem, many tiny little holes are a problem.

DSP effects very definitely slow down the conversion process. The more effects you use and the more elaborate they are, the slower.

LtData
01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I think defragmenting has to be done by the Windows defrag program, probably not much choice there, though I may be wrong. Gaping holes are not a problem, many tiny little holes are a problem.

There are third-party programs that defrag your hard-drive. And Neil: the full version of Diskeeper is normally regarded as one of the best degragmenter

adaywayne
01-21-2005, 06:51 PM
There are third-party programs that defrag your hard-drive. And Neil: the full version of Diskeeper is normally regarded as one of the best degragmenter

I love it....set it and forget it they say, and that seems to be true. I have even had it run whilst transferring audio from LP to CD or doing other audio projects such as burning a CD.. However, I don't recommend that (audio processing is veryy CPU iintensive) so I disable it before starting such projects.

LtData
01-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I love it....set it and forget it they say, and that seems to be true. I have even had it run whilst transferring audio from LP to CD or doing other audio projects such as burning a CD.. However, I don't recommend that (audio processing is veryy CPU iintensive) so I disable it before starting such projects.
I have "Set It and Forget It" on screensaver mode. :D