PDA

View Full Version : m4a --> mp3 crash

JDizzle
01-01-2005, 02:32 PM
I tried searching but couldn't find anything that helped in my case.
I have used dbpoweramp forever to rip from cds to mp3, and never had a problem, but now I am trying to convert .m4a files to mp3, an error comes up that dbpoweramp must close sorry for any inconvienience. then spits out a 0kb mp3 file. This happens instantly after clicking to start conversion. I have downloaded the nessesary codecs, and am using windows xp home, with sp2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ChristinaS
01-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I tried searching but couldn't find anything that helped in my case.
I have used dbpoweramp forever to rip from cds to mp3, and never had a problem, but now I am trying to convert .m4a files to mp3, an error comes up that dbpoweramp must close sorry for any inconvienience. then spits out a 0kb mp3 file. This happens instantly after clicking to start conversion. I have downloaded the nessesary codecs, and am using windows xp home, with sp2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Can you do a test conversion (no write)?

Spoon
01-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Is your mp4 file a protected itunes file?

JDizzle
01-01-2005, 07:16 PM
no, I can't do a test write either, or to .wav.
Yes it is an m4a converted from a .mp4 that I bought from iTunes.

ChristinaS
01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
no, I can't do a test write either, or to .wav.
Yes it is an m4a converted from a .mp4 that I bought from iTunes.
Aha! So it is in fact a protected file.

Please check out http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258

JDizzle
01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the help, I can't get it to stop crashing on converting to mp3 trying all that, so I think i'm just going to keep burning them to cd then ripping them as a mp3. I just hate having to do it for 1 or 2 songs at a time, so I bought a few cd-rw's so I don't waste the discs doing that.

Thanks again for the help.

ChristinaS
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Make sure you're burning AUDIO cd's not any other type.

Tomb
01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Aha! So it is in fact a protected file.

Please check out http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258

It's not a protected file if he has converted it from M4P to M4A! I have converted these to wav and mp3 but with foobar and not the converter. I will try the latter and see if it works.

EDIT: Just tested it and successfully converted files which had been converted from itunes m4p to M4a using iopener. Converted to both wav and mp3.

iTunesIsEvil
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
It's not a protected file if he has converted it from M4P to M4A!

Actually, if some of the programs that remove protection fail, then they still accidentally create an m4a file, which is just a copy of the m4p. So it's got an m4a extension, but it's still protected. Just like you can pick any m4p in your music collection, change its extension to m4a, and it will behave just like that m4p, but have a different extension.... Just as an FYI. :teufel8:

Tomb
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Actually, if some of the programs that remove protection fail, then they still accidentally create an m4a file, which is just a copy of the m4p. So it's got an m4a extension, but it's still protected. Just like you can pick any m4p in your music collection, change its extension to m4a, and it will behave just like that m4p, but have a different extension.... Just as an FYI. :teufel8:

I have never come across that so thanks for the info.

Suggest the questioner uses iopener as it has not failed me once (touching wood at this point).

nojjer
01-23-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm getting the same crash. I used hymn to get it unprotected but its still being lame to me. Is there like a patch or something for dbpoweramp music converter that fixes this problem?

LtData
01-23-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm getting the same crash. I used hymn to get it unprotected but its still being lame to me. Is there like a patch or something for dbpoweramp music converter that fixes this problem?
Again, right now, it seems that Hymn fails to remove the DRM from the newest iTunes protected filed. You can only use Auxiliary Input to record the song.

Edit: Just checked the forums, they're still working on putting out a new version. In the meantime, what version of Hymn did you try to use? 0.7.1 might work. Also, make sure you are running Hymn on the computer where the songs were purchased.