PDA

View Full Version : If you already have an mp3 encoder, do you need to buy one with version R11

Tahoe Joe
12-28-2004, 12:58 PM
If you already have an mp3 encoder, do you need to buy one with version R11 after the 30 day trial? Will DMC recognize an existing MP3 encoder?

ChristinaS
12-28-2004, 01:08 PM
If you already have an mp3 encoder, do you need to buy one with version R11 after the 30 day trial? Will DMC recognize an existing MP3 encoder?
Good question. I think, but I may be wrong, that it's the license for dMC to use an mp3 encoder that is required more than just the presence of any old mp3 encoder.

Razgo
12-28-2004, 01:54 PM
yes i would say it would require the liscenced version. as each product must pay royalties if it uses the mp3 encoder. it will be the same with any product that uses the mp3 codec as the company has to pay royalties if it "enables" the ability to encode to mp3 regardless if you bought another product that does it too and you already paid for that product. it sucks i know but thats the way it is and all businessess are forced to do this.

keep in mind though some people find little loop holes that may or may not last for long. check out what what the DFC club has to say about it DFC club (http://www.sensory-fusion.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewfile&id=2) scroll to bottom of page to read the comment on the latest release. you never know what happens over there :)

Tahoe Joe
12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Altnough it's not good news, thanks for the quick and informative responses!

neilthecellist
12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm a little disappointed here. :sad: How come the newer versions have the 30 day trial limit on the mp3 encoder but the older ones don't? If you had to pay royalties for the older mp3 encoders and made them free, why do you guys suddenly set a 30 day trial limit on the newest release? :confused:

(I'm not trying to start a flame here, I'm just curious) :)

Razgo
12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Spoon has only just been forced legally to pay royalties recently. so that's why the changes are only occuring now. he stood to be sued for millions should they persue the matter. but my understanding is there is an ongoing discussion between Spoon and who has has to pay the royalties too. so in the mean time he has to start charging for the use of the mp3encoding as he has to pay for each liscence he sells a royalty fee to the coffers.

in the mean time you can read the following post at the bottom : dfc club news (http://www.sensory-fusion.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewfile&id=2)

Razgo
12-29-2004, 04:32 PM
all questions and answers are done via the forums. not through PM or sig's. we do not encourage signature questions because they do not help others. by making posts/threads you are helping others that may have a similar problem.

neilthecellist
12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
darn. ....Ok I'll stop posting sig questions. brb.

Razgo
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
here is some more info on what happened : http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5399

neilthecellist
12-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Oh my f**$ing god. I can't believe Fraunhofer did this. Isn't LAME open-source though? Why do royalties have to paid for something that's open-source?

LtData
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Because the encoding technology is patented. Open source or not, everyone will be required to pay this fee if they encode to mp3. This is why Winamp will only encode to mp3 after you pay for Winamp Pro.

neilthecellist
12-29-2004, 05:27 PM
oh. I don't like the world then and how it works. :) lol