PDA

View Full Version : Extracting audio from an AVI

neilthecellist
12-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi, it's Neil again...

um, I have a n00b question: How do I extract the audio from a .avi file? Is it possible to do this with dBpowerAMP?

LtData
12-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi, it's Neil again...

um, I have a n00b question: How do I extract the audio from a .avi file? Is it possible to do this with dBpowerAMP?

It's possible, but in multiple steps:

I will recommend you use the program Stoik Powerpak (a free video converter) from http://www.stoik.com/downloads/downloads_frm.htm. Using Stoik Videopak you can convert your .avi to .wmv (select the highest settings) and then using dMC you convert this .wmv to .wma and once again .wma to .wav or whatever you want.

ChristinaS
12-20-2004, 12:19 AM
LOL, the last bit about another program stripping audio was from somebody else's post! Nothing to do with this one :D

LtData
12-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Woops. Missed that part. Oh well, it's fixed now.

Larry!
12-20-2004, 02:53 AM
The easiest and most efficient way would be to use nandub or virtualdub for this. It will demux sound from movie in 1-2 min.

ChristinaS
12-20-2004, 03:19 AM
The easiest and most efficient way would be to use nandub or virtualdub for this. It will demux sound from movie in 1-2 min.
Too right! I totally forgot about Virtualdub. Yes, indeed, it's easy and fast.

Stoik basically does easy video conversions between a few types, and so far it's the only one I found that that can handle mpg without a special license (plus it's free).

neilthecellist
12-20-2004, 05:45 PM
So, can VirtualDUB take audio from an AVI file like, with one click?

ChristinaS
12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
So, can VirtualDUB take audio from an AVI file like, with one click?
Well, one click .... you got to browse and find your input file, select all the specs for your output..... a few clicks anyway. :smile2: But then it stays so for the next time you use it.

neilthecellist
12-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Well, one click .... you got to browse and find your input file, select all the specs for your output..... a few clicks anyway. :smile2: But then it stays so for the next time you use it.

so...if the audio from the avi was in mp3 format at 138 abr kbps, i can rip it out using VirtualDub, keeping the same audio quality? or would I lose some?

ChristinaS
12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
so...if the audio from the avi was in mp3 format at 138 abr kbps, i can rip it out using VirtualDub, keeping the same audio quality? or would I lose some?
I'd think the audio in an avi is actually wav. But in any case you define what you want to extract it to. I don't see how you can lose if you extract to uncompressed PCM .wav: 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-ch stereo.

Larry!
12-21-2004, 03:46 PM
I'd think the audio in an avi is actually wav. But in any case you define what you want to extract it to. I don't see how you can lose if you extract to uncompressed PCM .wav: 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-ch stereo.

Well, not really. Creating .avi with .wav will lead to almost double filesize =)
So, actually .avi files usually contain .mp3(cbr or vbr), more rarely it can be .wma, .ac3 or .aac. Virtualdub will demux(extract) it exactly the way it is, but with .wav extension.

ChristinaS
12-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, not really. Creating .avi with .wav will lead to almost double filesize =)
So, actually .avi files usually contain .mp3(cbr or vbr), more rarely it can be .wma, .ac3 or .aac. Virtualdub will demux(extract) it exactly the way it is, but with .wav extension.
Oh, I really hope Virtualdub doesn't start playing around with creating different file types yet calling them all wav! That would be very irresponsible.

neilthecellist
12-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Ok, I got VirtualDub. Now, because I lack common sense, I don't know how to extract the audio. What do I click exactly?

neilthecellist
12-21-2004, 08:11 PM
somebody........help. Please?

Larry!
12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh, I really hope Virtualdub doesn't start playing around with creating different file types yet calling them all wav! That would be very irresponsible.

That's not a huge problem, really, since header of audiofile will remain the same, so any player will figure what filter to use. Or, to avoid confusing, change extension to what it is.

Larry!
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
somebody........help. Please?

Open video in virtualdub, go to "file"(left upper button like in explorer) highlight "save wav" and click it. Hope you've got simple virtualdub, coz in virtualdubmod it's a bit more complicated.

ChristinaS
12-21-2004, 08:33 PM
That's not a huge problem, really, since header of audiofile will remain the same, so any player will figure what filter to use. Or, to avoid confusing, change extension to what it is.
Unless we are not using the SAME Virtualdub program, mine always creates a PCM wav 44.1KHz, 16-bits, 2-ch stereo apparently - thus, if the intrinsic audio track of the video was different it must be converting it to that. I have seen reference to options in respect to changing specs like frequency, bits, etc, but I haven't foudn a way to activate them, so maybe I have an incomplete version. Anyway, it doesn't appear to convert too many different types of video files. Basicaly it's .avi and .mpg (and a few variations on these). No .mov or .wmv so you still need other programs.

Another good and easier video to audio converter is from http://audiotoolsfactory.com/ .

neilthecellist
12-21-2004, 08:57 PM
got mine from http://www.sourceforge.net

Larry!
12-22-2004, 05:51 AM
Unless we are not using the SAME Virtualdub program, mine always creates a PCM wav 44.1KHz, 16-bits, 2-ch stereo apparently - thus, if the intrinsic audio track of the video was different it must be converting it to that. I have seen reference to options in respect to changing specs like frequency, bits, etc, but I haven't foudn a way to activate them, so maybe I have an incomplete version. Anyway, it doesn't appear to convert too many different types of video files. Basicaly it's .avi and .mpg (and a few variations on these). No .mov or .wmv so you still need other programs.

Another good and easier video to audio converter is from http://audiotoolsfactory.com/ .

Hmm... That's weird, cause i'm using nandub for a few years and never noticed such behavior. =) Dunno about quicktime(mov) and realmedia(rm), but for most other containers, such as mpeg1, mpeg2, ogm, mkv - virtualdubmod handles them.

ChristinaS
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Hmm... That's weird, cause i'm using nandub for a few years and never noticed such behavior. =) Dunno about quicktime(mov) and realmedia(rm), but for most other containers, such as mpeg1, mpeg2, ogm, mkv - virtualdubmod handles them.
You're mentioning virtualdubmod - but I was using just virtualdub (which I have just upgraded to latest version). I didn't run into any virtualdubmod :confused:

Now you're also mentioning nandub ......

Larry!
12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
You're mentioning virtualdubmod - but I was using just virtualdub (which I have just upgraded to latest version). I didn't run into any virtualdubmod :confused:

Now you're also mentioning nandub ......

Nandub is same as virtualdub, but has more options for adding audio and it also uses only divx 3.11;-) and mp4v3 for video processing. All other functions are the same. Virtualdubmod is modification to regular virtualdub, but also with an expanded options for audio and it accepts more formats, like mpeg2, mkv and so on. I guess, that you just misunderstand a bit virtualdubs extracted file. Dbpoweramp plugin in explorer shows the file extracted by it as "wave format sound 44.1 16bit", but on bottom of popup it shows also "mp3 format sound"(But not always =/). To make sure, you also can use hex editor(there's one in virtualdub, but read-only) to open it, and you'll see, that header of file is actually mp3. :rolleyes:

P.s.: Or, just rename extension .wav to .mp3 - to do so, in windows explorer go to tools> folder options > view> and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". After file extension is renamed, dbpoweramp will show all correct info in its popup, even which codec was used to encode it.

ChristinaS
12-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Larry, it's not that I misunderstand, it's that my version of virtualdub only extracts a PCM 44.1KHz 16-bit wav, regardless what you start with. So if the actual audio track is something else (by virtue of whatever compressed format the video file is) , then this means it must be converting it internally before saving it as the etxracted wav. I dont have virtualdubmod or nandub, just plain virtualdub. And the wav is a real-to-goodness PCM wav, not just a wav extension tacked onto an mp3 or a different type of compressed wav.

I tried this with an uncompressed AVI, a compressed AVI and an mpg of the same exact video. Same result, though the wav varies just a bit due to decompression, but it's still a 16-bit PCM 44.1KHz stereo wav. All 40MB or so of it. I don't have other video types right now that virtualdub can work with, so I don't know if others would yield different results.

Larry!
12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Christina

Ok i guess then, that your movie contains its sound in a pcm format. :D
Well, i would recommend then a small cute little proggie called gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/),=) which will helpya to figure out what formats your movie file consists of easily.

ChristinaS
12-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Christina

Ok i guess then, that your movie contains its sound in a pcm format. :D
Well, i would recommend then a small cute little proggie called gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/),=) which will helpya to figure out what formats your movie file consists of easily.
Ah, then this must be because I always use audio from a PCM wav when I make the movie files LOL! Even if I do a video capture, I define the audio as PCM Wav - never tried a different format. Then I encode them to various other formats: mpg, rm, wmv depeding on what I need.

neilthecellist
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Are we all using the same VirtualDub? Mine is version 1.6 or something like that....I got it from http://www.sourceforge.net

neilthecellist
12-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to ask....can either dMC or VirtualDub split an AVI file so I can make a VCD out of the AVI file? Thanks for your help, everyone!

Larry!
12-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to ask....can either dMC or VirtualDub split an AVI file so I can make a VCD out of the AVI file? Thanks for your help, everyone!

What you mean by vcd? Original vcd have to contain its movie in mpeg1 format, audio in mp2, to be dvd player-compatible. Nero can save your day in that case. =) Or, if we talking here about splitting xvid/divx/mp3/etc. avi file to fit 700mb cd, use virtualdub. Use slider on the bottom to mark start and end of segment, then "save as"(in both video and audio select "direct stream copy").

neilthecellist
12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
OMG !!!! Thank you so much!!!

but after i split the avi file, how do i burn it? Do I use Nero 6 to encode the AVI file to vcd format? That takes A LONG LONG time. like, 2 hours just to burn a 52x CD, just because it spends 1 hour and 58 minutes encoding the AVI file.

Larry!
12-23-2004, 06:48 AM
2 hours sounds ok to me. Seems you've got kinda fast cpu.

neilthecellist
12-23-2004, 06:27 PM
uh.....Larry!, are you being sarcastic?

2 hours is a pretty damn long time for me. I have a 733 mhz Celeron Processor.

ChristinaS
12-23-2004, 09:41 PM
uh.....Larry!, are you being sarcastic?

2 hours is a pretty damn long time for me. I have a 733 mhz Celeron Processor.
Actually I fear he's right. This is typically a long process. I was doing this the other day for 2 videos totalling about 12 minutes. It takes about 20-25 minutes to make a dvd or a vcd with that. Only 2 minutes actually for the burning step itself.

Larry!
12-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Actually I fear he's right. This is typically a long process. I was doing this the other day for 2 videos totalling about 12 minutes. It takes about 20-25 minutes to make a dvd or a vcd with that. Only 2 minutes actually for the burning step itself.

Yeah, and it mainly depends on resolution of video. The bigger res it have, the more time you'll need to encode. Let's say, that movie clip at 640x480 will take as twice to encode as 320x240.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 04:43 PM

Christina, you said 12 minutes. I said 2 hourz. 2 hours is pure torture for me. :yawn:

Yeah, and it mainly depends on resolution of video. The bigger res it have, the more time you'll need to encode. Let's say, that movie clip at 640x480 will take as twice to encode as 320x240.
:boese16: @ my computer.....

ChristinaS
12-24-2004, 04:47 PM
The video is 12 minutes. The rendering was 20 minutes!

LtData
12-24-2004, 04:50 PM
The rendering times also depends on the quality of the original video and if the original is compressed.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 04:50 PM
oh. haha. I can't read! :lol:

Would getting a faster CPU speed up the process?

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 04:54 PM
the original video is GIGANTIC. 718 megabytes. Surprisingly, the audio associated with the video is compressed. MP3 at 138 kbps ABR. the video quality is a DivX thingy. I'm not sure about the video compression.

LtData
12-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Getting a faster CPU would speed up the process some, yes, but then you would be limited by your slow RAM. The best bet to speed up the encoding is to buy a new computer that doesn't have "celeron" within 30 feet of it.

Anyway... 718MB is "GIGANTIC"? Lol, not exactly. Try compressing a 4GB file down to 700MB. As for burning that to a CD, you need a program that can decode Divx and burn it off as a VCD.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 04:59 PM
lol LtData. To me, 718 megabytes is huge. Sorry.

What program do I need to burn a DivX encoded video to VCD?

LtData
12-24-2004, 05:07 PM
lol LtData. To me, 718 megabytes is huge. Sorry.
It's kinda big to me too, with my 40GB HDD and all. I'm just saying they do come in bigger sizes

What program do I need to burn a DivX encoded video to VCD?
Not sure. What program do you use to burn CDs normally? Nero may work, but I've never tried it.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
I use Nero 6. Latest version (version 6.6.0.1) and i think it's great for burning general data, but for VCDs, it takes like 2 hours (sometimes even longer) to burn a simple VCD.

Larry!
12-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Do you want it to be watchable on dvd or just to archive it as it is on cd?
In 2nd case, burn it as data and enable overburn and short lead out options in nero. It will fit on regular 700mb cd with those options enabled.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 06:00 PM
I wanna watch it on a DVD player as a VCD.

ChristinaS
12-24-2004, 06:13 PM
How long is the avi? Is the 718MB size a compressed AVI? Then it's big and it won't fit on a vcd anyway.

If it's not compressed already, try using the Stoik VideoPak video converter program and either turn it into a compressed avi or into an mpeg and then try making the vcd again. It may work faster.

neilthecellist
12-24-2004, 06:25 PM
yes. 718 megabytes compressed. Is Stoik VideoPak video converter free?

ChristinaS
12-24-2004, 07:17 PM
yes. 718 megabytes compressed. Is Stoik VideoPak video converter free?
Yes, it is free - you get it from http://www.stoik.com/downloads/downloads_frm.htm .

neilthecellist
12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
thanks Christina. Merry Christmas !!! [eve]

ChristinaS
12-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Merry Christmas (eve) for you too! It's already Christmas Day for me now. We just did the dinner and gift exchange, so on Christmas Day we just rest and do nothing.

Did you get that program? Did it work?

neilthecellist
12-25-2004, 04:55 PM
got the program. haven't tested it tho. I will in 15 minutes. Hope it's worth it! :lol:

neilthecellist
12-27-2004, 11:18 PM
YAY! I got it. But I have a question too. How do I split the video up so it'll fit on a VCD? Can VirtualDub do this? Do I need another program, or does Stoik have the ability to split up the video itself?

milfzor
12-30-2004, 12:26 AM
okay, well, here's my thoughts on everything, take em or leave em, but how i extract audio from a video is plug it into virtualdubmod (google for it, i dont have a link handy unfortunately) then go to stream and demux it, it will give you a stream copy of the original audio. as for the people calling 718mb huge, gotta say i laugh at you, 2 hours of video in COMPLETELY uncompressed at dvd resolutions is around 60gb if that puts it into prospective.....718mb is actually VERY small :) but yea...........best route to go is get ahold of virtualdubmod and just demux the audio

neilthecellist
12-30-2004, 07:16 PM
dude....i got schoolwork to do....i can't google for virtualdubmod....all i want to do is use VirtualDub or Stoik to split the video so i can make a VCD out of it....

milfzor
01-01-2005, 02:38 AM
well if your just looking to split the file, either try avichop: http://files.divx-digest.com/software/cutjoin/avichop02.zip
or if your using tmpgenc for the conversion to vcd format, use the built in mpeg tools under file>mpeg tools>merge and cut. as for anything else video related, best bet is to try poking around at www.vcdhelp.com (its under a new name now but it will redirect you properly)

neilthecellist
01-01-2005, 03:28 PM
uh...AVI chop didn't work......like, right after I click chop, NOTHING happens. I have to go to Task Manager to close AVIChop......

neilthecellist
01-02-2005, 11:42 PM
HELLO? Can ANYONE help me?? (desperate here)