PDA

View Full Version : Problems deleting files: open handles dMC?

humean
12-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a recurring problem that is quite frustrating: media files won't delete after converting with dmc, or after playing them. Windows says the file can't be deleted, saying that a program is using the file. Using Process Explorer, the problem is that Explorer has a handle open on the file, which I can delete after closing the handle.

Searching around, I found a similar problem discussed in another forum at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21180703.html
The solution there was that a context menu shell extension was not letting go of files.

Since my problem only affects media files, and seems to only happen when I have dBpowerAMP installed, I wonder if the dBpowerAMP context menu is the source of the problem. I use the program a lot, always from the context menu, so I don't want to have to disable it.

So I have two questions: Is dBpowerAMP the cause of my problems? and, if so, What can I do about it?

Thanks!

LtData
12-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Is it any media file, or just one format or another?

You can try disabling the context menu and see if it helps. If it still won't delete, you know that's not the problem. If it will, then that is the problem for some reason and we will try to figure it out.

xoas
12-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Miight your problem be similar to the one in this thread:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=3867 ?
This problem seemed to be related to dMC r 10 and I have not seen reports of this with dMC r11, so if the fix reported there does not work or does not last, you might want to switch to r 11.

We had another item somewhere, which I seem to be unable to find, about such problems occuring with trying to delete single wma files. As I recall, perhaps erroneously, the issue was that after a track was converted to and/or from .wma, somehow Windows registered the file as being active within Windows Media Player (even if WMP was not actively open at the time). This did not seem to be so much a problem if multiple wma files were involved. So if your problem should only be occuring with single wma files, that could be the source of the problem, perhaps.

If the problem is only occurring with wma files, perhaps an astute participant might help track down this item. Please let us know how you make out.

Good luck and best wishes,
Bill mikkelsen

Spoon
12-04-2004, 06:01 AM
What are the audio files?

It could be if you have slow loading codecs in dBpowerAMP (such as Apple lossless), each time you hold the mouse over a file, the popup info is fetching the info - thus the file is open, try disabling the popup info in dMC Configuration.

humean
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I realize I misstated the problem slightly. It is usually not the media files themselves, but the folders they are in. Usually, I convert a set of files to WMA, then move the folder to a new location. But the folder won't delete.

I do also have this problem sometimes with individual files after playing them - and it's video files as well as music files. In these case, I have wondered if the popup info is responsible. But does the dMC popup have anything to do with avi files?

Perhaps this is really a problem to do with Windows Media Player? I hope not, because there's no chance of getting Microsoft to fix their software....

Spoon
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
What is the extension on the avi file, .avi?

humean
12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
What is the extension on the avi file, .avi?

Yes.

Spoon
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
dBpowerAMP shouldn't touch .avi files (.mpg yes).