PDA

View Full Version : dmc priority

Vexzilla
12-02-2004, 10:13 PM
What is the usefulness of the Priority drop down box on the dmc conversion screen?

LtData
12-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Setting the priority to Low or Below Normal speeds up the conversion process normally. It's also there for you to pause the conversion if you need to.

Vexzilla
12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Thx.

xoas
12-03-2004, 06:30 AM
In addition, lowering the priority helps if you are trying to run a conversion in the background while you do other things with your computer. Alternately, increasing priiority can increase ripping speed in circumstances where your conversion is well within your system's capabilities. But if you are doing large and/or complicated (many DSP effects; conversions involving changes in frequency, bits, number of channels; conversions involving slower codec formats like Ogg or Real Audio or Monkeys at High Compression) conversions and/or if you run other programs while converting, in these cases lowering the conversion priority may actually increase overall ripping speed and/or prevent crashing of your conversion or overall system slowdown.

Personally, I generally leave my conversion priority set at "below normal" because I generally multi-task.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Spoon
12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
If converting say wav to ogg, then setting priority to 'above normal' might gain a slight speed increase - but you will not be able to do much with your computer whilst compressing.

Be aware though that anything above Normal when ripping a CD will slow down conversion (the CD Ripping is on a 2nd thread that has time taken away from it).