PDA

View Full Version : Only one channel records

Clark_K
11-28-2004, 09:11 PM
I installed the Auxilliary Input so that I could record from an audio cassette. I ran a cable from the earphone jack on my amplifier to the line-in jack on my laptop (as in the example in the Help file). The only input source that would work was Microphone, and I had keep the volume on the cassette player very low to prevent distortion. Any way, it recorded ok, but only the left channel. I know there's no problem with the cassette player and I doubt there's a problem with the cable, which is new. Is there a way to check the recording level of both channels?
Clark

LtData
11-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Is the cable you used a stereo cable? Are there stereo jacks on both ends? (Stereo jacks have two lines on the plug, mono have one)

ChristinaS
11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
I installed the Auxilliary Input so that I could record from an audio cassette. I ran a cable from the earphone jack on my amplifier to the line-in jack on my laptop (as in the example in the Help file). The only input source that would work was Microphone, and I had keep the volume on the cassette player very low to prevent distortion. Any way, it recorded ok, but only the left channel. I know there's no problem with the cassette player and I doubt there's a problem with the cable, which is new. Is there a way to check the recording level of both channels?
Clark
Why is the only input source that works the microphone? I think it's because you forgot to enable other input sources for recording.

Right-click on the volume icon in your task bar and select Open Volume Controls > Options >Properties > Recording. Look at the scrolling list appearing at the bottom of the window and select all the items there. Once you hit OK, then your entire selection of possible input sources is displayed. Then select the one you need from there, either line-in or Stereo Mix. Keep volume sliders about 2/3 of the way up. Close this window.

Clark_K
11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
I know it's a stereo cable because the package said "Stereo Cable" on it (also I can tell by looking at the plug that it's two-channel). All my recording devices are enabled. That's how I found out that only the Microphone input would work. I might try to get a different cable, one with RCA plugs on one end so I can use the line-out jack on the amplifier. Maybe it's my laptop.
Clark

ChristinaS
11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
I know it's a stereo cable because the package said "Stereo Cable" on it (also I can tell by looking at the plug that it's two-channel). All my recording devices are enabled. That's how I found out that only the Microphone input would work. I might try to get a different cable, one with RCA plugs on one end so I can use the line-out jack on the amplifier. Maybe it's my laptop.
Clark
Are you certain that the microphone jack is really stereo?

Spoon
11-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Microphone inputs are only mono.

Clark_K
11-29-2004, 09:44 PM
You mean on the computer?

ChristinaS
11-29-2004, 10:11 PM
You mean on the computer?
I think microphone input in general is mono. Software or a mixer may turn the recording into stereo on playback by duplicating the same sound to both channels.

Sound Card Inputs and Outputs
Sound cards have several types of input and output jacks. Lower-priced sound cards generally will have 1/8" mini phone jacks. A mono jack is used for the microphone input, and stereo jacks are used for the line-in, line-out and headphone. Stereo jacks carry both the left and right signals and are used to save space.

Clark_K
12-01-2004, 07:39 AM
If that's true (microphone jacks are only mono), then recording this cassette is not going to work on this laptop, beacuse the only line in has a little microphone next to it.

ChristinaS
12-01-2004, 09:26 AM
If that's true (microphone jacks are only mono), then recording this cassette is not going to work on this laptop, beacuse the only line in has a little microphone next to it.
Laptop soundcards aren't known for too much versatility in their I/O options.

What you may need is to add an external USB soundcard that will provide all those I/O jacks that are expected to be present on a soundcard.

Something like this: http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-176-1.htm

There are others from Creative Labs as well, you just have to look for them.

There wiil be other benefits frm having an external soundcard as an add-on to the laptop: infinitely better audio quality than what the laptop can deliver by itself.

LtData
12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I can attest to the fact that laptop sound is atrocious. This is the fault of the manufactures and the lack of a good OEM laptop sound card. Oh well. Desktop motherboard isn't all that good either, but it's better than most laptops.

Razgo
12-01-2004, 03:55 PM
yes the laptop speakers maybe crappy sound (on my IBM is anyway) but a good set of headphones plugged into the laptop is a defferent story all together.

ChristinaS
12-01-2004, 06:02 PM
yes the laptop speakers maybe crappy sound (on my IBM is anyway) but a good set of headphones plugged into the laptop is a defferent story all together.
Actually even a set of average quality external amplified speakers (preferably with a subwoofer) plugged in can improve things a lot. Unfortunately laptop soundcards don't have all the jacks for all the different types of input, which is where one of those external modules may come in handy. I'll probbaly be getting one of those for my laptop, if I can pick it up cheaply enough, and if it also has midi in/out.