PDA

View Full Version : How do I ? fix my stupid mistake

dabossuk
11-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi

OK have a weird problem :-)

I have about 30gb of WMA files I recently ripped to MP3. I used the multi file browser and selected rip to same directory however I ended up with this format of files.

F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\track1.wma

when I converted I ended up with ...

F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\temp convert\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\track1.mp3

Now I have worked out how NOT to do this again, a) do not select keep in same folder :-) and b) wait until next release when this bug is fised. However I already have about 30gb done ... and do not want to have to rerip! ... anyone got a great idea of how to take the files and put them into one directory.

I had a look at Total Commander ... could not see what I was looking for there. Ideally I want the ability to find all MP3 in a folder and select the ones to copy but for it to keep its directory path. if that makes sense.

Any ideas ? Thanks

xoas
11-21-2004, 11:03 AM
anyone got a great idea of how to take the files and put them into one directory.
I have an idea but I can't be sure how well it would work. Do you have dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP)? If not, download and install it. If you do have it have you already added your 30 gigs of mp3 to MMC?
Here's what I would recommend trying. Open up yur My Music Collection screen. If you have not been using dAP add your 30 gigs of mp3 files to MMC. If you already have dAP and a Music Collection established, start a new Music Collection. Add your 30 gigs worth of mp3 files.

Now click on the Collection button on the top of the MMC window. Select Music Collection. Select Arrange Files. This will reportedly do the following:

Once your MMC is loaded with tracks, dAP can arrange the files, arrange by moving them and renaming them. Why would anyone want to do such a thing? lets just say all your music files were in one folder C:\Music this would be fine if you had under 200 tracks. When you have large numbers of tracks, it is good to organize them, for example they could be arranged into folders pertaining to the artist name within C:\Music. To do so select Collection >> Music Collection >> Arrange Files - specify the Root Folder where all music should be based, then select how the music should be arranged by pressing Set - if you wanted your audio arranged in artist folder then set Arrangement to [Artist]\[Artist] - [Track]

I rather doubt this will make your situation worse and it sounds like it would fix up your file structure, but I have not tried this myself. This feature works only with entire Music Collections, which is why I recommend creating a new Music Collection just for these files. If you have any doubts about this procedure, you may want to start with just a folder or 2.

If you do try this, please let us know how it all works out. If I get a chance, I may try this with a few recursively ordered files of my own. I will report the results in a follow-up post.

Good luck and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

xoas
11-21-2004, 01:19 PM
The procedure I tried worked like a charm. Only downside is that files which were in my original MMC had to be re-located there which I did by hand. But if that is yoour situation, you could combine the two MMC's, use the Highlight Missing files to identify the duplicate missing file entries (for the files which you moved), and then delete those entries.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

ChristinaS
11-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Hi

OK have a weird problem :-)

I have about 30gb of WMA files I recently ripped to MP3. I used the multi file browser and selected rip to same directory however I ended up with this format of files.

F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\track1.wma

when I converted I ended up with ...

F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\temp convert\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\track1.mp3

Now I have worked out how NOT to do this again, a) do not select keep in same folder :-) and b) wait until next release when this bug is fised. However I already have about 30gb done ... and do not want to have to rerip! ... anyone got a great idea of how to take the files and put them into one directory.

I had a look at Total Commander ... could not see what I was looking for there. Ideally I want the ability to find all MP3 in a folder and select the ones to copy but for it to keep its directory path. if that makes sense.

Any ideas ? Thanks
I think your mistake was to select both Keep in same folder and Keep directory path.

You could try to physically move all the files you have created to a higher level in the tree structure either in Windows Explorer (left hand side tree) or by using a dos batch move. I'll try to see if I can write one and post it here if it works.

--- later ----
First of all you must enable viewing file extensions for all types. If you don' thave that on, then follow instructions in: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361

1) Using Windows Explorer, position yourself in the folder F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\Lynyrd Skynyrd\Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd\temp convert\temp3\

2) Right click and create a text document - change its name to something like mymove.bat.

3) Right click on mymove.bat and use Edit (or Open with and select Notepad)).

4) Paste in the following line:

move *.* F:\MP3\not cleaned MP3\temp3\

Save.

4) Back in Wndows Explorer now, double-click on the mymove.bat.
Hopefully this will move everything up to the right spot in the tree.

woodyuk
11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi

Thanks guys ... I took the music management opiotn - but used itunes. I had not thuoght of that and it worked perfect! ... saved me a few hours. All I need to do now is clean up the tags :-) ... all 160gb of them! :-(

xoas
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Using dB Audio Player and My Music Collection took care of the tagging as well!

If you have Power Pack you might be able to fix these more quickly using the Tag From File Name option (assuming you have the file names as you need them to be now).

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen