View Full Version : How do I make dBpower work in windows XP?

11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm trying to convert a .ra file to mp3. When I press start the screen of the program always shows 0% converted. Any idea why this is happening to me????? :(


11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
That is normal for real audio conversions, it will stay 0% until end.

11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
But, how long do I have to wait? I am trying to convert a 30 min file but I have wait for almost 40 and nothing happen. Also when I try to stop the program it doesn't by itself, I have to kill the process.... :shocked:

11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
To convert RealAudio files you need the RealAudio codecs (the decoder if you are trying to convert RealAudio to another format) and the encoder (if you are trying to convert to RealAudio. The decoder also requires either RealAudio v8 (or later) or Real Alternative 1.11 be installed. The conversion should take only a little longer than the playing length of the file. For your 30 minute file 40 minutes is definitely too long.

I assume you are not getting an error message. I wouold recommend you try the following:
-Do a Test Conversion of your RealAudio file (select the file in Music Converter, where yoou would choose the format to convert to select "Test Convert"). Usually this is much faster than regular conversions but I would assume that RealAudio will need 30 minutes or so to do the Test Conversion. If after 33 minutes you have no result from the test conversion, its a fairly safe bet that your tst conversion failed. This generally suggests a problem either with the Real Audio file or possibly with your installation or system. If your dMC Configuration Window (Start > All Programs > dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Configuration > dMC Configuration) shows a codec for reading Real Audio files, and if you can convert other Real Audio files, you know that the problem is not with the installation or system.

In this case, you may want to check this file to see if it will play without being connected to the internet. Some RealAudio files may actually be links to internet streams that cannot be accessed unless you are on the internet. Look at your file extension and refer to these thread here (from the FAQ section of this forum):
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6194 and http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992 (mostly the introduction and the section on .ram files).

If these threads do not help, please tell us about the file extension for this file, whether you can play it or not, the results of the test conversion. If the Test Conversion worked, you may need to change your conversion. For example, if you are trying to convert Real Audio to MP3, you may need to first convert to Wav and then to MP3 or maybe you just need to change you MP3 settings. So if the Test Conversion works, do let us know what format and settings (bit setting, frequency, bitrate, channels) you are trying to convert to.

Good luck and best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

11-16-2004, 09:26 PM

Thanks for your help Mr Mikkelsen. I finally found what was wrong. The orginal name of the file was deca_9901.ra. With this name the converter wouldn't work. It seems like odd but when I changed the name to 01.ra, the programm run just fine and dandy.

Also, when I tried to run the test conversion, the programm was reporting that the codec for realaudio wasn't installed, which wasn't true. Maybe this is a bug that can be fixed.

Thanks a lot for your help again. dBpowerAMP definetely rocks!!!!

Fabian Rios.